Published Saturday, November 27, 1999, in the Herald-Leader

BACKSTREET HOMEBOY BASKS IN GLOW

Between two concerts, Littrell visits young heart patients

BSB's enter Rupp Arena Nearly four months ago, word got out that the megastar Backstreet Boys' U.S. tour would include a Thanksgiving weekend visit to Rupp Arena, the first major homecoming for Kentucky natives and cousins Brian Littrell and Kevin Richardson.

The news unleashed a frenzy of ticket sales, contests and mass, raw fan fervor not seen for years.

Yesterday, Backstreetmania '99 in Lexington began to wind down.

For Littrell, a Lexington native, the day started early. About 13 hours after Friday night's concert, Littrell was at St. Joseph Hospital. He visited with children enrolled in the Brian Littrell Healthy Heart Club for Kids, the program he founded in 1998, in partnership with the hospital.

The program offers education, exercise and nutrition for children with congenital heart problems or those at risk to develop heart conditions. Littrell was born with a heart defect and had successful corrective surgery in 1998.

During the visit, Littrell accepted a $14,000 check for the Heart Club from iGive.com, an online shopping service that allows its members to support their favorite causes.

``I could talk all day and never explain how I felt,'' Brian said describing the Friday concert. ``It was an unbelievable experience. ... I've been preparing for the show ever since the tour started. I knew I had to be prepared physically and emotionally for it, because I knew a lot of my family and friends were going to be watching us. It's hard enough playing for people you don't know, but your peers, people you went to school with, your aunts and uncles you can't mess up in front of them.''

And he still had one more show to go. While it lacked the emotional electricity of the Friday night show, last night's concert was still a homecoming celebration for Richardson, Littrell and their families.

``It's been great; it's been a dream come true,'' Littrell's brother, Harold Littrell III, said after the show. ``Our family is so proud, and everyone is overwhelmed.''

The biggest change in the second show was that Littrell and Richardson did not bring their mothers on stage during Perfect Fan, a song Littrell wrote for his mother, Jackie Littrell. But the connection between mother and son was still strong.

As Brian sang the line, ``Mom, you always were the perfect fan,'' he pointed to his mother, who sang along to every word and fought back tears until she broke down at the end of the song.

The Brian Littrell Healthy Heart Club for Kids will eventually be housed at the Beaumont Centre Family YMCA. For more information on donations, call 313-1705.

Heather Svokos and Rich Copley

Brian's Articles
Main Page

KFCAU ~ Kentucky's Finest Cousins' Admirers Unite
- Established Jan 1999-