The Man behind the BSB's Video

WHEN BSB WANT TO MAKE AN AWESOME VIDEO, THEY CALL DIRECTOR JOSEPH KAHN. HE GAVE US THE LEGENDARY "EVERYBODY (BACKSTREET'S BACK)" AND, IN 1999, DIRECTED THE POLL-TOPPING VIDEO FOR "LARGER THAN LIFE". BIG HIT CAUGHT UP WITH JOSEPH IN LA TO GET ALL THE BSB GOSS ...

Congratulations! "Larger Then Life" has been voted Best Music Video In our Reader's' Poll.
Wow! Thank you, it's a great honour. Thank you very much for the blessing.

Who came up with the Idea for the video?
We all did, but it was more of a combination of Nick's ideas with mine. They flew me to Barcelona to meet with them, we talked, and it turned out that they all wanted to do a futuristic thing and Nick had this comic idea where he wanted sci-fi superheroes.

Which of Nick's Ideas didn't you like?
We shot this whole ninja sequence but I didn't like anything about it. I'm not sure if Nick's angry with me about that.

How long did It take to shoot?
Three days, It was filmed at Universal Studios in Orlando. The Boys didn't want to come to LA because they had been on tour for so long, so we flew about 50 people to Florida. There was a fight between management and the Boys about where they wanted to shoot this video.

What was difficult about making It?
The time frame. I only had four days of prep work from the time I wrote it and they accepted it. Orlando is like 3000 miles from LA and I had to fly in my crew and build the set in four days! in fact, they were still building it until the last minute.

Who mucks around most on set?
Brian is the big, big joker. It's funny because we had to suspend him on wires for that hoverboard sequence and it was not comfortable for him. He won't have children!

Did they have any friends or family on set?
Mostly family and girlfriends here and there.

Were they easier to work with on this vid?
They're probably the easiest band I've ever had to work with. Kevin, A.J. and Howie are professionals, but Nick and Brian like to talk and have fun while they're doing it.

Are you happy with the final result?
Yeah, but I should've put way more Howie in. It's hard to balance out because there's five of them and there's four minutes to work with, and one person always gets shafted.

Which of BSB do you get on with the best?
Each has a very specific personality and I get on with each of them individually, but the kid in me gets along with Nick the best because we talk about video games and movies.

Source Big Hit Magazine January 2000

BSB Articles Menu
Brian Articles Menu
Main Page

Brian Thomas Littrell ~ The Golden Voiced Backstreet Boy
- Established Jan 1999 -