You Can't Ask That!

They Came and they went in the blink of an eye. So when you've only got the BSB for just a few hours, you have to ask the questions that really matter...

Why only four months between the last single from �Millennium� and the first single from the new album?
Kevin: A bit quick for you? (laughs) It�s a good time for us to come back. We haven�t been gone too long but we have been gone. Gone but not forgotten! That should have been the name of the album.

Howie, you�re another pop star who�s going into acting. What�s with that?
Howie: I did the last episode of �Roswell�. I was a cliff-hanger! In the last one of the last episode of the last season. I introduce some new alien life for the next season � and I�m the leader!
AJ: What do you wear?
Howie: I have a grey suit with a tie.
Nick: So how long were you in it?
Howie: Oh, five seconds. It was the last line � it was like, (adopting gruff, whispering alien voice) �It has begun�. Like one take! They asked me to come back next season, so depending on my time schedule...
AJ: You wait till you see me and Nick! We�re gonna blow up!
Nick: I want to be in an action film. If I could be Arnold Schwarzeneggar and not have to talk, then I�d be happy.
AJ: When Nick and I were both younger, we were really into comic books and we both really loved the X-Men movie. There are a couple of characters that they�re gonna re-introduce in the next one and I�d love to be one of them. I know Nick would too.

When will you split up?
AJ: Well, Howie has his stuff, Nick wants to do stuff with his brother and I did the whole Johnny No-Name thing. We�re all starting to ease into things, but we�re not saying �Ok fellas, I�m gonna go record my album next week while you guys go on tour�. Everyone�s doing something that makes them happy. Kevin can�t really do much right now �cos he�s hurt his knee. But he�s still enjoying things.

Who�s gonna make a solo record first?
Brian: I have noooooo idea.
AJ: Nick! (sarcastically) Hahaahaha!
Howie: You know what? We don�t know. Maybe all five of us will do it at the same time.

Do you think about how long you want to stay around?
Kevin: As long as we�re having fun, I guess.
Brian: As long as we can put our heads together and make good music. Several of us have aspirations to do solo stuff and we�d never stand in the way of somebody wanting to do that. But at the same time, the group comes first. That�s the way we started, and we plan on finishing this mess that we got ourselves into (everyone laughs)

When you did a photo shoot of music mag Rolling Stone - why did you drop your pants?
Kevin: We were just shooting and they said �Let�s do something crazy�. So I decided to drop my drawers...
Brian: (sarcastically) And he�s the leader so we all had to do it.
Howie: Yes, we were able to air...
AJ: (interrupting) We�re getting ready to do another shoot with them. It�s kind of an 80�s pop vibe. Kevin wants to wear eyeliner, I�m gonna wear lipstick and Brian wants to have a mohawk. It�s very 80�s punk, with short shirts, tight jeans and big spiky hair.

Nick, you�re single at the moment � who are you after?
Nick: (looking at a copy of Smash Hits and spotting a piccie of Billie and saying to it...) Hello! Hey, how ya doin�? I love Billie!

Why did you call your album �Black & Blue� � why not �Yellow andPink�?
Kevin: (sniggering) We thought about �Fuchsia & Orange�.
AJ: (laughing) It�s a good thing that we weren�t wearing different colours that day! We were taking a picture wearing black outfits on a blue background, and Brian said �We all look black and blue�. It�s very symbolic for us. In this business you take alot of punches. It�s always trying to bring you down, searching through the cracks to find some flaws in you. But nobody�s perfect. You can throw what you want at us and do what you want. But we�re gonna stay around for a while. We ain�t going anywhere. So keep those punches coming � just don�t hit below the belt...

What would you do if �Black & Blue� sold a grand total of eightcopies?
Kevin: That would suck (everyone laughs)
Brian: I�d have to buy eight copies more myself so that I could double the sales overnight.
AJ: I�d start crying and go play with traffic!
Nick: I tell you what, I got a boat, and if that happens, I�m gonna get on my boat and drive off somewhere and never get bugged again.
AJ: No, you know what? Honestly, if we sold eight copies then maybe that�s our destiny telling us we�re not happening anymore. We�ve done a great thing.
Nick: We pray to God it doesn�t happen!
Howie: It�s not gonna happen, but if it does, we�ll just make another album really quickly!
Kevin: We�d call an emergency meeting and regroup.
Brian: We try not to set our goals too high.

So you�d be happy with nine copies?
Brian: Ten, maybe...ten and a half if we�re lucky.

So after selling millions of records, how famous do you think you are?
Kevin: (thoughtfully) I would say at least 50% of the world have heard of us.
Brian: There�s how many billion people in this world? There�s still lots of people who don�t know who we are.
So 51% or 49%?
Kevin: Let�s go for 51%!

Source: Smash Hits January issue

BSB Articles | Brian Articles

main page

Brian Thomas Littrell ~ The Golden Voiced Backstreet Boy
- Established Jan 1999 -