MINING NEAR PINE MOUNTAIN SETTLEMENT SCHOOL
Source: From The Courier-Journal (Louisville, KY.)
April 9, 2001

Being on a world tour sure can make a guy think a lot about home. I've been thinking about Kentucky a lot lately and wondering what I can do to improve some things, namely the condition of our water, soil and air. I'm concerned about what the environment's condition means for us and for our kids. I learn more every day about the environment and how our actions and beliefs can affect its health. And I hear from others how every day someone is challenged to strike a balance between preserving our resources and jobs.

One such issue is the Pine Mountain ''lands unsuitable'' petition, which, if approved, would declare the lands surrounding the Pine Mountain Settlement School in Bledsoe unsuitable for surface coal mining.

Growing up in the mountains of the Daniel Boone National Forest, I gained a lifelong appreciation for the outdoors and the lessons nature has to offer. The Pine Mountain Settlement School is a local treasure that helps teach those lessons. Besides a history dating back to 1913, an undisturbed view of the Appalachians, and a clean drinking water source originating at Pine Mountain, the school has a tradition of providing a year-round retreat and education center for the citizens of Kentucky. Over the years, the school has also provided the community with important social programs - from an elder hostel to the building of leadership and teamwork skills through youth sports and activities.

Unfortunately, the school's very existence is now threatened by pending surface coal mining operations around its perimeter. Noise, vibrations, flyrock, potential contamination of Pine Mountain's drinking water, loss of trails near the school and loss of visual scenery will all potentially damage the Settlement School's ability to provide a quality educational experience to the 3,000 kids who attend its programs each year. Ironically, while creating a few temporary jobs, a surface mine threatens to wipe out more steady jobs at the Settlement School.

I understand that in today's world coal plays a vital role in meeting the energy needs of Kentucky and the United States, while providing important jobs. But before we blast off mountaintops at Pine Mountain and other Kentucky treasures, we need to look at the long-term impacts these actions will have on our land for the one-time economic gains of small, shortlived surface mines.

The Natural Resources and Environmental Protection Cabinet will make the very important decision to either grant or deny the petition. I've voiced my concern by submitting a letter to Secretary James Bickford, asking him to grant the petition and declare the lands unsuitable for surface mining operations. I hope he will share my viewpoint that there is value in preserving the school and its surroundings for the community and the state.

Win or lose, I know this will not be the last tough decision we face. There will be more, and it's up to us to be aware of these issues and educate ourselves and each other about the impacts we have on our home. We have to find ways to balance the interests of resource-based jobs and our kids' future. And I guess that's why I'm writing today. If businesses, governments and communities work together, a good solution will be found so that blasting for coal near schools becomes history. I urge that we all get involved, make smart decisions and educate ourselves so the next generation of Kentuckians inherits a home worth having and a Kentucky they can be proud of.

KEVIN RICHARDSON
Lexington, Ky. 40503

Mr. Richardson is a member of the Backstreet Boys. - Editor.

news Page

Main Page

Brian Thomas Littrell ~ The Golden Voiced Backstreet Boy
- Established Jan 1999 -