Shaggy Wants to Be Tough Act for Backstreets to Follow
Source: Wall of Sound

The Backstreet Boys better look over their shoulders this summer; Shaggy plans to put a little heat on them. "I'm going to go out there and whup some ass," says the reggae-pop star, who will be supporting the Boys on a summer North American tour that kicks off June 8 in Orlando, Fla. He has the goods to do it, too; an album, Hot Shot, that's spent seven non-consecutive weeks at No. 1 on the Billboard charts, thanks to the hits "It Wasn't Me" and "Angel." With a fourth single, "Freaky Girl," set to drop next month, Shaggy will certainly be a force to be reckoned with.

"I understand that, hey, this is their show. I'm the support act. But I'm going to be one hell of a support act," he says. "It's going to be very energetic, in true Shaggy fashion. I'm hoping to go out there and give them some pressure so that they can go out there and whup some ass even better, because I like them guys."

Really?

"Yeah. I actually like them better than all those boy and girl bands for the simple fact that I've known them since 1992, man. I remember in 1992 in Birmingham, England, they opened for me, and I remember going through Europe and seeing these guys do malls and their little routines when it was a handful of people in front of them. If anybody worked for this shit and deserves it, they do. 'N Sync and Christina Aguilera and all, they just came in on the coattails, man; these boys broke the damn thing open. They certainly deserve everything, and I respect them for that."

Shaggy however, does note that "I don't own a Backstreet album � or an 'N Sync album or any of them, because that's not my style of thing. But I respect them for what they do; they bust ass, man, and they can sing." � Gary Graff

news Page

Main Page

Brian Thomas Littrell ~ The Golden Voiced Backstreet Boy
- Established Jan 1999 -