Backstreet Boys together again

Source: Chicago Sun Times
June 14, 2005

What got the Backstreet Boys back together after several silent years in the new "Millennium"? Thank (or blame) Oprah.

In a Monday media teleconference, the Boys said the decision to reunite and start work on a fourth disc happened right here in Chicago.

"I was in London writing and recording, and I got a call from Brian [Littrell] about AJ [McLean] doing a special on 'Oprah' about sobriety and his drug addiction," said Nick Carter, referring to the November 2003 episode of "Oprah" titled "Addicted: Backstreet Boy AJ McLean," in which AJ discussed his personal battle with drugs.

"We all decided to hop on a plane and go surprise him, and it turned out great. The feeling was there again. ... We sat down in a room after 'Oprah' and said, 'OK, if we do this again, it has to be 110 percent and everyone's gonna have to work their butts off.' "

The result of that work is "Never Gone," the boy band's latest album, released today on Jive Records. It's the first album of new material from the multiplatinum vocal quintet since 2000.

What happened during all that time off? "We all had time for personal growth," McLean said, "and we each now bring something different to the table."

Well, some of them have experienced personal growth. Midway through the teleconference, one of the Boys belched loudly.

"Who burped?" Nick demanded. Silence on the line. "Well, I'll apologize for whoever burped. That was rude of them."

Thomas Conner

News Page
Main Page

BRIAN Thomas Littrell ~ The Golden Voiced Backstreet Boy
- Established Jan 1999 -