DEAF WATCH----JULY 1998 Greetings, July is the month when we march with our fists up. This is the month when we as disabled consumers had our sweeping landmark rights legislation signed into law. July is also the month of the year we show the non-disabled we are people and deserve diginity. July this month will also be our chance to show our economic power. This month from July 26 next month August 1, we will be showing it at the upcomming "Show Your Power" rally. Major disappointment last month. A study by the American Bar Association shows that disability lawsuits are not effective against employers. We're making real progress in other areas such as hospitals and acommodations. I am saddened to realize that a number of Deaf individuals who are in the pyramid scheme business have launched numerous attacks on me and my projects. Their attacks reinforce my commitment to protecting consumers with hearing disabilities. Deaf Watch is pleased and excited that we have been chosen to host the "1 Million Disability Celebration" party website. This thunderous party slated for July 22, 2000 will celebrate the tenth anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act. Have a safe and enjoyable 4th of July! The Editor ************************************************************* CALIFORNIA'S SENATOR BOXER WRITES TO DEAF WATCH NEWSLETTER READERS Thank you for the opportunity to share my views on programs of concern to Americans living with disabilities. I appreciate this chance to discuss the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) and the reauthorization of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) with the readers of the Deaf Watch Newsletter. I strongly believe that programs that provide medical coverage, housing assistance, job training and income support play an essential role in enhancing the lives of individuals with disabilities. Continued federal funding for this continuum of services is essential because these programs allow people to fulfill their full potential and so often prove cost-effective by preventing the need for institutionalized care. The Americans With Disabilities Act is a landmark piece of legislation that reinforces a core American value -- equality of opportunity. While establishing this legal framework has revolutionized the workplace for many individuals, proper enforcement of ADA regulations is essential. I support the continued efforts of the Justice Department's Civil Rights Division as well as the Attorneys General at the state level to ensure that the ADA is consistently implemented. Additionally, I proudly support full funding for the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act so that children with disabilities have access to education programs which enable them to realize the maximum degree of independence and self-sufficiency possible. I supported Senator Christopher Dodd's proposal to send an additional $1.6 billion to the states over five years to fund IDEA. Though this proposal was defeated, I am committed to securing funding for programs that improve opportunity and quality of life for America's disabled children. Senator Barbara Boxer ************************************************************* DEAF EXPO 98 SET TO ROAR IN ONTARIO, CALIFORNIA ON NOVEMBER 14 AND 15, 1998 NORTH HOLLYWOOD, CA-- (9 May, 1998) -- Deaf Expo '98 will take place at the brand-new Ontario Convention Center in Ontario, CA. This sixth annual show, sponsored by Bank of America, General Motors Corporation, Sprint Services and Ultratec, Inc., will also feature 'Deafinitely Fashion Show', the Captioned TV Orientation and Deaf World History displays. Penny Warner, author of books with deaf characters, is also scheduled to appear at the Deaf Expo General Store. The world's most comprehensive array of exhibits covering Education, Finance, Giftware, Health, Human Resources, Publications, Recreation, Religion and Technology takes place on both days, Saturday and Sunday November 14-15th at Ontario Convention Center. Other activities include the TTY Museum, Deaf Back & Future Display, Deaf Art Contest, Deaf World performances, Seminars & Workshops, Technology Forum, ASL Ranch display and ChildCare programs. Over twenty thousand dollars worth of door prizes will be given away during both days. Sprint Services has been designated as the official Relay Service of Deaf Expo '98. Their toll-free telephone numbers are 1-888-877-5378 TTY and 1-888-877-5379 Voice. Travel Syndicate is the official travel agency of Deaf Expo '98 and will coordinate all hotel, airline and car rental bookings at toll-free 1-877-778-7477 TTY and 1-800-248-0388 Voice. Ontario Airport Marriott has been designated as the official hotel of Deaf Expo '98 and has committed to providing services beyond the minimum requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). All discounted Deaf Expo '98 hotel rates are available only through Travel Syndicate. The official hotel is just across the street from the Convention Center. Two evening entertainment events have been confirmed. Kicking off the exciting Deaf Expo '98 weekend will be 'Deaf Flashback' in the Grand Ballroom at the Ontario Airport Marriott, across the street from the Convention Center, on Friday evening, November 13th. This Deaf Club-style event will have solo performances by comedians, surprise guest appearances, an electrifying Visual Lighting Show, captioned music videos and dancing with a Video Jockey. Deaf Dinner Theater takes place at the Ontario Convention Center Ballroom on Saturday evening, November 14th. Following a full catered dinner, guests will be entertained by comedian Angela Petrone Stratiy who will portray 'Deaf Survival Of The Fittest' and share results of her satirical "So-Called Research On Hearing People". Ms. Stratiy, who is Deaf, is traveling from Alberta, Canada. Complementing this event will be lovely gals appearing in a sensational presentation. Ten thousand patrons are expected to attend Deaf Expo '98 which is organized by a non-profit corporation run by persons who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing. Full show information, exhibitor and ticket ordering capabilities will be available through the Internet at www.DEAFEXPO.ORG All show activities are open to the general public and tickets are also sold through TicketMaster and certain social service agencies in Southern California. Ontario is a 50-minute drive east of Los Angeles. To request show information, call the toll-free Deaf Expo '98 automated Information Request TTY line at 1-800-770-4470 (Voice Relay 1-888-877-5379) or e-mail to DEAF EXPO@aol.com To contact Deaf Expo show management or marketing departments, contact DEAF EXPO '98, 7712 Lankershim Boulevard, North Hollywood, CA 91605-2815 or call 818/764-4311 TTY (Voice Relay 1-888-877-5379) or FAX to 818/764-4066. ************************************************************* MAJOR STUDY ON DISABLED CRIME VICTIMS APPROVED BY U.S. SENATE The U.S. Senate passed Senate Bill 1976, "The Crime Victims with Disabilities Awareness Act," on Thursday, June 25th! It was unanimous and ethe Bill requires that the U.S. Department of Justice do 2 things: 1) conduct a National Academy of Sciences Study into the issue, and 2) explore how to add items which measure the victimization of persons with disabilities to the U.S. National Crime Victims survey, which is conducted by the U.S. Bureau of the Census every 5 years. This is a major step in recognizing the importance of this issue. (if you want to se the full bill, go to www.thomas.loc.gov. Or www.congress.gov and look up SB 1976.) ************************************************************* CANADIAN POLITICIAN WITH HEARING DISABILITY BREAKS HOUSE SOUND BARRIER Ottawa- Politicians are not known for eloquent silence. But Bloc Quebecois MP Carole St-Hilaire, whose hearing is impaired, set a federal precedent Wednesday by delivering a member's statement entirely in sign language. It was the first time in the House of Commons' 131 year history anyone had done so, and MP's responded with a raucous - but silent - show of applause by waving their upturned hands. Only one person clapped out loud. "This month of May is hearing awareness month, "St-Hilaire, 28, told the House. "Let us beat down the barrier of silence." Naturally, Canada's two solitudes extend into sigh language as well. The Shefford MP used the sign language of Quebec, LSQ, which differs from the American Sign Language used in the rest of Canada. Eight years ago, New Democratic MPP Gary Malkowski became the first elected politician in the world to use ASL in his dailey duties. He served the ZTOronto area in east York between 1990-95. Does partial deafness put St-Hilaire, who was elected to the Commons last year, at a political disadvantage? "Not at all", she says, noting Parlimant has planty of translation phones with volume control that she can use. "Some people here don't understand anything, and they have perfect hearing." (May 14/98) ************************************************************* DEAFSPORTS.NET MAKES IT'S DEBUT! DeafNation and DeafAmerica Network Presents the Premier Standard in Deaf Sports News and Resources. They also have a deaf sports mailing list. Inquire for more info. E-Mail: deafsports@deafsports.net DeafSports.Net http://www.deafsports.net ************************************************************* DEAF LITIGANTS OFTENTIMES ENCOUNTER MORE BARRIERS AT E.E.O.C. Many deaf people are upset when they make complaints to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) about ADA violations at their workplaces. The problem seems to be that there is no "preferences" in the EEOC regulations for people with "severe" (legally-recognized) disabilities. For example, the Department of Rehabilitation has a "priority list" that gives first attention for services to people with the most severe, permanent disabilities. Also, the Social Security Administration gives priority to people who have "presumptive" disabilities (and there is a list of those, which includes people who are legally deaf). In these two agencies, the people who are deaf get PRIORITY status, for services, funding, and prompt attention to their needs. But, the EEOC treats all complaints equally, from all people with "disabilities." This makes it much more difficult for a deaf person to get the proper attention or time when they make a complaint to the EEOC. The information below compiles the EEOC's statistics of the "disabilities" most frequently shown by people who bring ADA complaints to the EEOC. The statistics are based on complaints received from July 26, 1992 through September 30, 1997. (The percentages do not add up to 100%, because the statistics are incomplete). The statistics show that the MAJORITY of the complaints are from people who may not have "severe" or "presumptive" disabilities, and this may be the reason that a lot of deaf people don't make complaints, or that their complaints are delayed and possibly not properly handled by the EEOC. Another problem may be that deaf people simply don't know how to make an EEOC complaint. Here are the people who made complaints to the EEOC between 7/36/92 through 9/30/97... * Back problems: 15,942 complaints (17.6%); * Emotional/Psychiatric problems: 12,018 complaints (13%); * Neurological problems: 9,994 complaints (11%); * Problems with legs or arms: 8,690 complaints (9.3%); * Heart problems: 3,675 complaints (4%); * Diabetes: 3,628 complaints (3.6%); * Substance Abuse/Drug Addiction: 2,858 complaints (3.2%); **** HEARING IMPAIRMENTS: 2,591 complaints (2.9%); * Blood disorders: 2,379 complaints (2.7%) [Note: 1,600 of these are HIV people]; **** VISION IMPAIRMENTS: 2,338 complaints (2.6%); * Cancer: 2,153 complaints (2.4%); * Asthma: 1,542 complaints (1.7%). The two "presumptive" disabilities (shown by four stars, above), which cause most of the URGENT needs for ADA workplace communications accommodations, are "hearing impairments" and "visual impairments." The "hearing impairments" group represents ALL "hearing impairments," including elderly individuals who are hard of hearing or late-deafened due to age. This makes the probable number of complaints by younger deaf workers EXTREMELY small in number. The statistics cover 62 months, and there were a total of 2,591 "hearing impaired" ADA complaints for all that time, which works out to an average of about 42 complaints a month, for ALL of the United States (!), or less than 1 complaint per state, per month. ** Either deaf people are really satisfied about the current accommodations in their workplaces; OR ** They don't know how to properly make these complaints to the EEOC; OR ** They don't know the provisions of the ADA, or their legal rights under the ADA; OR ** They're scared to make a complaint; OR ** They are "settling for less" in their jobs; OR ** They are in lower-paying "deaf"-related employment, where they get their accommodations because they are working for and with other deaf people; OR ** They have set up their own small businesses; OR ** They have "given up," and they're getting government benefits (and/or working illegally "under the table"). ADA Employment Litigation Reporter, Vol.1, No.1, 1998 ************************************************************* HEY DEAF RV'ERS. THIS SMALL NEW MEXICO RV SITE CATERS TO DEAF RV'ERS 3 - RV Spaces available with onsite ASL Interpreter. (self contained) Cab-Over Campers, RVs & MotorHomes up to 45' welcomed, Fenced Lots, Pets OK!. LOCATED at 1108 N. Jefferson St.- ( just north of the Hobbs High School ) at intersections of east Sanger & North Jefferson St. OFF Hwy. 62/180-EAST, in Hobbs, NM. 90miles east of the "Carlsbad Caverns Nat'l. Park, & 190 miles S.E. of Ruidoso-Downs, NM., SKI APACHE- Ski Resort". -RATES: $25/Night,-Utilities included (NO- CABLE TV). next to C-store & gasoline, CLOSE TO- City Prk., Self -Serve Laundry, Library, Auto Parts Stores, U.S. Post Office, Diesel Fuel Retailers, Diesel Repair Shops, Major -Auto Repair, Shopping Ctr., & Dump Station. For MORE INFO. & SPACE AVAILABILITY - CALL or FAX (505) 393-2839TDD or SEND E-MAIL to Mute@CarlsbadNM.Com for "SPACE is Limited". Visit and bookmark the website at http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Gorge/8449/ ************************************************************* RESOURCE OF THE MONTH: THE DISABILITY RIGHTS ACTIVIST THE DISABILITY RIGHTS ACTIVIST brings together much of the information needed to enable anyone interested in the rights of disabled people to work for those rights. THE DISABILITY RIGHTS ACTIVIST is one of the sites I relied on in my budding months as an activist. This is a highly recommended site for persons with disabilities seeking guidance on becoming a community activist. http://www.disrights.org/ ************************************************************* Disability Lawsuit List. U.S. ATTORNEY AND MAINE MEDICAL CENTER REACH LANDMARK AGREEMENT On May 14th, The Maine Medical Center, the largest hospital in Maine, settled a civil rights action filed by the U.S. Attorney Jay P. McCloslkey and voluntarily entered a five-year agreement with the Justice Dept. and a private partythat requires the hospital to provide qualified sign language interpreters, assistive listening and telecommunication devices, captioned televisions and other similar aids and services to persons who are deaf or hard of hearing. The Medical Center has further committed to complying with the ADA by agreeing to publish and distribute a new written hospital policy directing its employees to offer an interpreter whenever they have “any reason to believe a patient is deaf or hard of hearing.” For a copy of the press release, contact your DBTAC at 800-949-4232. Watch for future postings to the Justice Department’s web site at http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/ada/adahom1.htm. ************************************************************* This month's recipients of the Deaf Watch GOLD Award. Wisconsin Deaf Sports Club (http://www.wi-deafsports.org/wdscnoframe.html) New Deaf Sports Site! Let's give this site a round of applause! And a visit too!! ************************************************************* This month's recipients of the Deaf Watch Award. Los Angeles Metropolitan Committee on Deafness (http://members.tripod.com/~lamcd/) Gotta love Deaf with guts! ************************************************************* "Yes, I'm deaf, but I'm *still* ignoring you!" Anonymous ************************************************************* "I have spent much of my time in the Senate working toward a society in which all Americans, those with disabilities and those without, have the same opportunities to succeed. That's what all people with disabilities want--an equal opportunity to succeed. Some will succeed and some won't, but it will be because of their abilities, not their disabilities." From Senator Tom Harkin's tribute to Timothy Cordes ************************************************************* Letters from readers. On behalf of Barbara Ford, I would like to respond to your letter of May 5, 1998. Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns. The Spectrum Initiative is an effort to recruit members of the four underrepresented groups: African American, Asian Pacific Islanders, Hispanic/Latinos, and Native Americans, to the library profession. This effort is at best, one attempt to deal with the looming demographic reality we face in this profession and in society. To date, we have not asked any of our winners to disclose if they have physical limitations and/or disabilities. However, there is the possibility that the list of Spectrum scholarship recipients does include people with disabilities. We must also keep in mind that people with disabilities, gay, and lesbian persons from all economic backgrounds and ways of life are also members of these four undereserved groups. We hope that you will support this effort and assist the ALA in promoting this initiative. I believe that we have an opportunity to advocate for an equally substantive initiative for members of the disabled community. As the deputy for the Association of Specialized and Cooperative Library Agencies, the division that works to improve the quality of library service for people with special needs, I am willing and ready to work on such a proposal. Again, thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us! Lillian Lewis 800-545-2433 x4396 312-280-4396 312-944-8085 FAX llewis@ala.org ( Nice smoke bomb aint it..... ) ---------------------------------------- Germantown, MD 20876 18 May 1998 Chief Justice William Rehnquist Supreme Court One First Street, NE Washington, DC 20543 Dear Honorable Judge Rehnquist, This formal letter explains what happened to me. My name is {Donald Duck} and am a citizen of the United States of America since birth. I am 65 years old, but am as active as a 50-year-old. In 1991, I was laid off from the American Pharmaceutical Association, 2215 Constitution Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20036 by Jim McGhee. Mr. McGhee was the new supervisor replacing Marilyn Povich because of age and salary. I was hired by Ms Povich, when she indicated (in 1986) that I was too experienced to work on computers. After a short time, I was hired on a freelance basis thru Freelance Pool Inc. in Washington, DC (which was no longer in business in 1988. In the meantime, I began to love my work at the American Pharmaceutical Association very much and gained experience. My salary was raised high every year for five years, starting at 13 dollars per hour and ending at 16.10 dollars per hour before I was laid off. After that, it was very difficult for me to obtain a full time job. I have worked so hard mailing resumes and copies of samples of seven years' work. They cost of postage fees, paper and copies was very expensive. I was really very tired of being frustrated a lot in my life. In 1993, my mind said I want to work, but no body wanted me to work for them. This is because I am deaf and older. In 1994, I received several calls from the companies that they were selecting me because they were interested in my resumes, but when I was at the interviews, they looked at my person ( which looks I am too old) and then they will call me in a few days to a few weeks, they never acted to call me. but I have to call them for the results, some of them replied that they hired other candidate and some did not respond my calls back. I have filed several complaints at human rights and EEOC but they denied because of no proof or lack of evidence, that I felt discriminated against these companies because of deafness and age. They do not believe what I told them the truth. Otherwise, I am on disability and worked a part time job, but not steady, and manage my budget in a hard time of my life since I was laid off in 1991. I do really want to stay at American Pharmaceutical Association permanently as long as I am. Its because, again, I am still very active. Besides, I have a very difficult financial situation by managing to pay the home mortgage, as long as I like to keep this townhouse and now I have behind three months payments because of not employed steady. This is the letter what I want to explain you all the judges, president, senators. I felt that ADA and/or EEOC is not enough to enforce the disabled/senior age candidates to work, any private companies must hire the disabled or senior citizen first in priority like the federal government offices. And again, I request your supreme court to place me back to work at American Pharmaceutical Association and continue to work as long as I am in action. I want to thank you to read my important letter that explain you why I am not hired so long, as long as I want to work but no body wants me to work. Honorable yours Donald Duck (which is not real name) CC: President Clinton, U.S. Senator Harlan, Maryland Senator Sarbane, Channel 7 News/I-Team, ADA , EEOC, and National Association of Deaf, Law Center ---------------------------------------- Hello: I am sure that you are tired of the debate between SEE sign and ASL. I am looking at both sides of the issue and I can't seem to find very much information about each position. I was wondering if anyone would have some opinions or resources that they would like to share with me to further my knowledge on the subject. I am going to be an early childhood educator and want to know the best way to teach young children language. Any thoughts. Thank you, Michelle Olsufka michelle@cc.wwu.edu Bellingham, Washington --------------------------- Hi Richard, i read alot letter about this Social Security that they pushed to have Cochler implants to deaf or Hard of hearing no matter what ages. I against this letter cuz too dangerous to put on ear to hear better. I do not believe whole things. I am not interesting this idea to our deaf/Hard of hearing. If they want to put on it??? NO thank you for this. I suggest is no good!! I know that they said improve the technology but I doubt it!! too risky business. also damage the ear one thing mistake!!! Social Security is out of mind. thank you for this concerning. I rather to be proud deaf or hard of hearing period!!! Lester Morris Fremont, Calif and Seattle, WA (I love this one!) ----------------------------- Sir. My name is Sgt. Steven Schrader, with the Ga. Army National Guard Youth Challenge Academy. I need your help and advice. Since there is no viable deaf organization here in Georgia, as they are elsewhere, I need to be put into contact with someone or somebody that could help us fund our new program for the hearing impaired. This is such a historic ground breaking program that I thought people would be happy to help give a deaf or hearing impaired cadet the support they need to get a GED and go to college. The Army is willing to match my program dollar for dollars. Quite frankly, I am spending my own money to help the kids get through the five month program. The program is at Fort Stewart. It is intended to be five months in duration. The deaf/hearing impaired cadet will be given the same opportunity as the others that they would never have been given the chance to do things like ride a tank, fly, camp or take trips in uniforms. When they graduate, they are given money to go on to college. I just got the approval okayed for the kids to go to Gallaudet on the Hope funds. This program is so important because the Georgia School for the Deaf is not allowed to give diploma. When that happens, deaf kids don't get what they need to get ahead in life. I already gotten permission from the Board of Education for us to change the current GED test for the hearing impaired. I pretty much have everything prepared; i.e., interpreters and TDD, close-captioning, etc. Can you put me in touch with someone who would be interested in funding this program and help the kids get an education??? I appreciate your time in considering this matter. The Georgia House Bill 812, my success as this country's first deaf-educated firefighter/EMT, the Army is not nearly as important to me as this new program is for the kids. Thanks.. SLS Lynnschrad@clds.net ----------------------------- THis is illegal in my eyes too! This is wrong! And the Deaf should make every effort to combat simular situations, for surely they are there! If one doctor did get away with it for a while, then surely others are there, and if the laws present themselves in a manner which could even hint on this abuse then surely they need to be refined, and corrected so that such ideas are not enforced or covered in the letters of the laws/bylaws. The doctors need to be shown the limits of their authority in regards to the Deaf so that no further badgering can be done. If one doctor could read the laws and the supervisors let the doctor get away with this until DeafWatch and alerted Deaf community members jumped on it, who is to say that other actions are not there that we don't know of?? tread lightly but carry a big stick..smile.. Thor Halversen HALVORTA@skagit.ctc.edu (Response to the Cochlear Implant pushing incident) ------------------------ I am deaf and Korean. All videos are not captioned of 100% at the Korean video rental stores all over across 50 states in United States. All video programming provider has not provided closed captioning of video programming with Korean language (NOT English). So I need that Korean language!!! ( I am not living in Korea but living in United States of America) I am looking for the information on the FCC regulations; however, I can't understand reading that regulations because of complex laws! I don't know which specific laws related to closed captioning of video programming are. Please email me at babie@randomc.com or bowman@randomc.com if you find this specific law related that. I would appreciate that you get a response to send FCC regulations or other laws to me as soon as possible. I want to take action to fight for my rights. Thank you for your assistance!!! Babie Leo babie@randomc.com ----------------------- Dear Mr. Richard Roehm, I'm very impressive with all your hardwork battling with sword. I read all of your useful information. I'm very responsive to the deaf people's concern. Also, I forwarded your crucial messages to some of the deaf people who I think will benefit from you. Please have me staying on your distributing list. Yes, I'm aware of potential targets of pyramid scheme luring illiterate deaf individual. The scam may be perpetrated by dishonest deaf person in Orange County. I'm glad you brought it to the attention of congressman or senate committee. I urged my deaf people not to participate because they will ripped off their monetary pocket. I had once been ripped off from pyramid scheme when I was very young and naive. I was born in Havana, Cuba. At the time of of this youth year, I didn't write, read or speak English. I was unaware of potential danger with all these scams by now. Your e-mail messages keep me interest and entertainment. Please keep me post any update e-mail messages. Keep up your high spirit work. I love your writing style. I know you are swamped with work. You don't need to reply. It is my compliment to your diligent work. Rey --------------------------- hi my name is juan lopez im looking the job in the miami fla that where i lived so i want to look the work assembler/operator machine in any company. if any open the job position let me know just send me an email jlope@webtv.net thank you juan lopez ------------------------------------------------------------- - DEAF WATCH - Federal ID Number : 33-0765412 - Circulation by direct EMAIL : 332 Subscribers - Circulation by indirect EMAIL : 9682 Subscribers - Chief Editor/Editor : Richard Roehm - Orange County, California - Internet : Deaf@activist.com - Nesmuth@hwsys.com - ICQ #: 7389913 | Handle: SilentKnight - DEAF WATCH Http://www.deafwatch.com - Http://home.hwsys.com/users/roehm/deaf.htm - Visit Http://home.hwsys.com/users/roehm/nez.htm ---------------------------------------------------------- - Education is the best gift that lasts a lifetime! - Help someone subscribe to The Deaf Watch Newsletter ---------------------------------------------------------- - SUBSCRIPTION INFORMATION - To be added to the mailing list, send "SUBSCRIBE" - To be deleted from the mailing list send "DELETE" - to this address NESMUTH@HWSYS.COM - - Mailing lists are not sold/given to anyone. ------------------------------------------------------------- - Need to stay on the net? Try DeafWatch's own - "Keeping You Connected" sublink which is packed - with graphical links to FREE email providers. ------------------------------------------------------------- - Help us help the Disability community - Please visit: - http://home.hwsys.com/users/roehm/hlphand.htm - The freedom to be what you want to be is NOT free. -------------------------------------------------------------