Deaf Watch Newsletter (Address) Deaf@Activist.com December 20, 1997 To the American Psychology Association: First of all I am Richard Roehm, a 35 year old Deaf person living in California. Secondly I am a victim of discrimination and I had a legal case already in the system and I have settled my case this summer after 3 years of negotiations. I know what its like to be disabled. I know how it feels to have been discriminated against and be treated as a second class citizen. I also feel other Deaf people are going through the same thing I did. I have spent the last 3 yrs recovering from the emotional trauma resulting from repeated acts of discrimination and non-ADA compliance from my former employer of 13.5 yrs. The last 5 years was very hard on me. I unable to seek employment elsewhere as I am haunted by the experiences. I have turned down several job offers because I can no longer trust other people. Rather than sitting here and mope all the way, I have started an education project to help other Deaf people. My newsletter "Deaf Watch" was started in November 96. It is a monthly e-mail newsletter with advocacy and Deaf related news. On January 24, 1997 I have launched the newsletter homepage "Deaf Watch Homepage" and it is disability accessible and has lots of legal resources links and Deaf advocacy links and has back issues of the newsletter. Deaf Watch Homepage is now the Ultimate Deaf Resource Center. Http://www.deafwatch.com All of my newsletters promote Deaf unity and cooperation toward a common goal which is to improve the quality of life for the general Deaf population. I have been seen in the news as a civil rights demonstrator and activist on several occasions. Deaf Watch Newsletter has strong alliances with heavy duty disability organizations like DICOMP and ADAPT. By studying website, my newsletters, and press releases, you will develop a picture of me as a guardian of the Deaf community. My long term goal is to safeguard the rights of the disability community by providing them with information and resources they can use to defend their rights. Actually I am educating the disability community using the internet. Some of my internet postings have reached to hardcopy mediums like Deaf newspapers and snailmail newsletters. For 1998, I ask you to consider the following. A number of employers in my district have become very creative in their attempts bypass their responsibilities under the Americans with Disabilities Act. This includes hiring psychologists to cover up company tricks by labeling disability discrimination victims as dangerous and a plethora of misdiagnosis. The Deaf Community is reacting to this by staying on Social Security Income and Social Security Disability Insurance. Continued misdiagnosis along with the lack of adequate enforcement of the Americans with Disabilities Act is not encouraging the Deaf community to look for work. America needs more Deaf workers. America can acquire more Deaf workers by being more vigilant in their enforcement of the Americans with Disabilities Act which was signed in 1990 and discouraging psychologists from the practice of making diagnosis that benefit employers or people that discriminate. Once the Deaf community sees that ADA is being vigorously enforced along with better treatment from the psychology community, they will feel more secure and confident and become workers. I ask you to help out in the enforcement of ADA by discouraging such misdiagnosis of disability plaintiffs so that the Deaf and disability communities in my district will explore employment opportunities and achieve independence from welfare programs. The disability community is one of the largest and most underrepresented groups in the states as well in the nation. We at Deaf Watch Newsletter thank you very much for your time to read this letter and anticipate your response. Deaf Watch will continue to aggressively pursue justice, fairness, and equality for the Deaf Community as it has been doing since November 1996. We have chosen that EDUCATION is the best way accomplish this objective. Your support for this effort to move the Deaf Community forward is greatly appreciated. Sincerely, Richard Roehm Chief Editor Deaf Watch Newsletter ,,, (o o) ===oOO==(_)==OOo=================================================== DEAF WATCH Orange County, California Richard Roehm Chief Editor Internet : Deaf@activist.com Nesmuth@hwsys.com Nesmuth@concentric.net DEAF WATCH Http://www.deafwatch.com .oooO Oooo. Http://home.hwsys.com/users/roehm/deaf.htm ====( )==( )=================================================== \ ( ) / \_) (_/