December 3, 1998 Greetings, Today's known as the United Nations International Disabled Persons Day. Today's when the United Nations recognize our abilities and our ambitions to become productive contributors to society. I promised earlier this year full participation in this event but sadly I wasn't able to do so and the main reason is I'm too involved with my Deaf center supervising 14 volunteers helping out 11 clients. At least the time is being used to support the disability community. The Deaf center will soon have it's own domain site Http://www.deafadvocacy.com up and running on Deaf owned servers. The staff of my newsletter, Deaf Watch, is deeply saddened to learn that one of our valued operatives in the midwest has been jailed along with his wife yesterday for reasons not relating to our advocacy. It is a shame that society would show such disregard for people who stand in the frontlines in this war to make the society a better place for people with disabilities. Fortunately the operative has been able to make bail and his wife remains in jail. We will not be intimidated by these little things that try to work against our project that is now a major force in the United States for positive and beneficial changes in the lives of people with disabilities. We still have a lot of work to do. We have to start disciplining some disability recreation organizations that patronize companies that discriminate against the disabled. Recent activities by these organizations undermine our abilities to properly enforce the Americans with Disabilities Act and do a lot to make us appear weak as a community. I ask you all to join me in this war against indiscipline by supporting The Deaf WAI. The Deaf WAI -- > Http://www.i-sphere.com/eyedeaf/wai.htm We also have to press our legislators to amend the Americans with Disabilities Act to make it better and at least enforceable for people with disabilities. Today, everyone should do something in the spirit of helping the disability community become self sufficient. Today I will just do that by filing a complaint with the Department of Justice against Tarbell Realtors for their problems with their Deaf realtors and clients. This is in the spirit of ensuring that Deaf homebuyers as well as their Deaf agents are given equal and fair treatment as everyone else. Every small thing someone does today in this spirit does a lot to help us get closer to the promised land of fairness, equality, and justice. Richard Roehm Deaf@activist.com ||================================================================= || DEAF WATCH Orange County, California | || Richard Roehm | || Chief Editor Internet : Deaf@activist.com | || Nesmuth@worldnet.att.net | || Deaf_Workers_OC@usa.net | || DEAF WATCH ICQ : SilentKnight | || Http://www.deafwatch.com AIM : Nesmuth827 | || DEAF WORKERS OF ORANGE COUNTY | || Http://www.i-sphere.com/eyedeaf/dwoc.htm | ||================================================================= || || Deaf Watch will continue to aggressively pursue justice, fairness, || and equality for the Deaf Community as it has been doing since November || 1996. We have chosen that EDUCATION is the best way accomplish this || objective.