December 5, 1997 President William Clinton The White House Washington, D.C. 20505 Dear President Clinton: Under your leadership more than 10 million Americans are benefitting from an unprecedented expansion of the American economy. I challenge you to extend the benefits of this economic expansion to Americans with disabilities by accepting the challenge of assisting one million Americans with disabilities to obtain employment over the next five years. Americans with disabilities are excluded from the opportunities for employment arising from the emerging Information Economy. According to the Census Department, the employment rate for persons 21 to 64 years of age was 82.1% for people with no disability, 76.9% for people with a non-severe disability and 26.1% for people with a severe disability. The low rate of employment among people with severe disabilities is the result of the systemic barriers to work facing us. Evidence from recent studies and General Accounting Office (GAO) reports cite the fear of losing health care, and its long term services, prescription medications, and assistive technology benefits, as the primary barrier to employment. In addition, financial disincentives to work, lack of choice of service providers, the complexity of work incentives, and the lack of employment opportunities all conspire to prevent us from working. We are now seeing Republicans plant their puppets in disability organizations for the purpose of destroying them. Valerie Marino's purely political appointment by Connecticut Republican governor Rowland to direct the Connecticut's Commission on the Deaf and Hearing Impaired and the resulting problems within the agency is a CLASSIC example of the republican efforts to diminish the quality of living amongst the Deaf and hard of hearing communities. This agency is on the verge of being dismantled and a few of my friends living in Connecticut are moving out of the state to find employment. I ask that you use your leadership in two ways to assist one million Americans with disabilities over five years to work. *One, accept this challenge by announcing it in your 1998 State of the Union Address. *Two, direct the Commissioner of the Social Security Administration, the Secretary of Health and Human Services, the Secretary of Labor, and the Secretary of Treasury to work with the Senate Finance Committee and the House Subcommittee on Social Security of Ways and Means to enact legislation in early 1998 eliminating systemic financial, health, employment training, and opportunity barriers to employment for people with disabilities. Your leadership in accepting this challenge will assist one million Americans with disabilities to participate fully in the American dream and to realize the promise of the accessible bridge to the 21st century. I eagerly anticipate your response to my challenge. Sincerely, Richard Roehm