February 2, 1997 Dear Sirs, I am writing to you to bring someting very serious to your attention. First of all I'll start with Sunday Jan 19, 1997 when I read the Register paper that there was going to be a Black Pride Parade on February 1 in Santa Ana. I called the number on the paper to volunteer (714) 440-8943 that day and I got a recording that I was to apply at 2201 W. McFadden Avenue. On Tuesday the 21st I went to the West Senior Citizen Center to apply I was introduced to Sam Naea. I told him I was hearing impaired and was interested in volunteering for this special event. He gave me a blue form to fill in which I had completed. Sam told me he was not familiar with the event and asked me to call him back and gave me a card and he wrote his name on it. On Thursday the 23rd I called Sam and he told me that the Black Pride event was cancelled and rescheduled to February 15. I thanked him for the info. I called several of my deaf black friends and I was able to round up 8 black deaf people who were interested in seeing this event and I told them what Sam told me that the event was rescheduled to February 15. I didn't realize something was wrong until one of the guys called me last night and furiously told me that I mislead them into missing the Black Pride Parade event. I told them that Sam told me that it was rescheduled to February 15 and that he should chill out. He told me to watch OCN news and that I will realize my mistake. I immediately went to watch OCN news and 25 mins later they showed a story on the Black Pride Parade event which happened earlier yesterday. I was totally shocked. I right now I really don't know how to mend this. I want you to know that I have been given totally misleading information by Sam Naea. I want you to remove him from the center. I am really upset over this. Being a deaf activist I had worked very hard to organize deaf black participants. At this point I will not encourage deaf people to volunteer at any Senior Citzen Center until this problem with Mr. Sam Naea is resolved. Thank You, Richard Roehm Contact info: -------------- Richard Roehm Santa Ana, Ca 92701 (714) 220-8187 24 hour beeper Internet : Nesmuth@edenbbs.com DEAF WATCH Newsletter at Http://home.hwsys.com/users/roehm/deaf.htm