February 5, 1997 Mr. Wesley M. Franklin I want to file a complaint of poor quality relay service against California Relay Service. Since they changed, I have had many problems with the relay. What I experience are : 1) Garbled conversations and mysterious characters when CRS answers. 2) They don't follow directions from the caller (me) especially calls to automated answering service. 3) They tell them something else other than what I say. 4) Too many rings until they answer and a long hold afterwards sometimes. 5) CRS's "explaining relay" sometimes makes the hearing person think I am trying to sell them something. Whatever they're saying sometimes make the hearing person lose interest in communicating with hearing impaired callers. I have had many unnecessary hang ups due to this. Being a deaf activist, I feel that maybe other deaf people are experiencing this as well and I fear this will cause the relationship between deaf and hearing community to become strained. This must be looked into right away. I can give you some details of the calls I experience. Prior to the changeover I have had no problems with CRS. I kindly ask you to investigate this and correct it. Thank you very much for your attention and I hope that this can be corrected soon. Richard Roehm Contact: nesmuth@edenbbs.com