February 16, 1998 Deaf Watch Newsletter Richard Roehm (address snipped) The Honorable Loretta Sanchez United States House of Representatives Washington, D.C. 20510 Dear Representative Sanchez: In the coming months, we commemorate the 30th anniversary of the passage of the Fair Housing Act and the 10th anniversary of the Amendments Act of 1988, the landmark civil rights laws which provide for equal housing opportunity without regard for race, color, religion, national origin, gender, disability or family status. As the country marks these occasions, I ask that you join me in reflecting on how these laws have strengthened our nation. At the same time, I write to ask that you to oppose H.R. 3206, recently introduced by Rep. Brian Bilbray. This measure represents a frontal assault on the Fair Housing Act, and on the memory of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., whose assassination prompted its passage. The sponsors of H.R. 3206 will claim that their bill targets only people with disabilities and children in group homes. My review of the proposed legislation suggests that its impact is significantly broader, affecting all classes of people protected by the Fair Housing Act. The bill's sponsors will tell you that they merely seek clarification of the law. In fact, they seek repeal of the most significant aspects of the Fair Housing Amendments Act of 1988. Leading national newspapers report that discrimination in housing is still widespread in many regions of the United States. In light of this evidence, Congress cannot consider rolling back vital civil rights protections. Spare no effort in opposing this bill. Thank you in advance. Sincerely, Richard Roehm Deaf Watch Newsletter