Deaf Watch Newsletter (address snipped) March 18, 1998 Mayor Richard Riordan, Chair 200 North Spring Street, Room 305E Los Angeles, CA 90012 Dear Chairman Richard Riordan, I am writing to you in support of the recent federal court decision upholding the BRU/MTA Civil Rights Consent Decree. As you know the courts have ordered the MTA to expand the bus fleet with 532 new compressed natural gas (CNG) buses to reduce overcrowding. I am asking you to support the court’s decision at the March 25th MTA board meeting by: * Introducing or seconding a motion for the immediate purchase of 532 CNG buses and full implementation of the other components of the court order. * Locking in the full funding for the court order, including suspending the transfer of $350 million to the construction of the Pasadena Blue Line in order to use these funds as the down payment for the court order. * Voting “no” on any motion brought to the MTA Board of Directors to appeal the court order. * Having any discussion and vote on this issue in open public session during the Board meeting. This court ruling is a victory for the predominantly low income, disabled, and people of color bus riders who have suffered greatly under discriminatory policies that led to the deterioration of the bus service over the last several years. This is also a victory for the MTA and an opportunity for you to uphold the Civil Rights Consent Decree, affecting 400,000 bus riders countywide, that you signed with the Labor/Community Strategy Center, the Bus Riders Union (BRU), and the NAACP Legal Defense and Education Fund in October of 1996. The court’s decision is not excessive (as has been stated by some MTA spokespeople) but rather is partial fulfillment of an agreement that you signed. It is a long overdue step in improving and expanding the bus system, a good transit plan, and a just decision. I urge you to move forward to quickly and fully implement it. Sincerely, Richard Roehm Deaf Activist and Advocate Chief Editor, Deaf Watch Newsletter