Deaf Watch Newsletter Richard Roehm (Address Snipped) Deaf@Activist.com March 21, 1998 The Honorable Loretta Sanchez United States House of Representatives Washington, D.C. 20510 Dear Representative Sanchez: H.R. 3485, the Campaign Reform and Election Integrity Act, sponsored by Rep. Bill Thomas (R-CA), will soon be considered by the full House. Title I of the bill would significantly restrict the ability of nonprofits to engage in public policy matters, such as commenting on federal regulations or educating the public about federal laws and regulations. I strongly oppose these restrictions and urge you to oppose any legislation that contains such provisions. Title I of the Thomas bill contains a provision that requires nonprofit organizations to annually seek consent from their members before they can use their funds for "political activity." "Political activity" not only includes activities to influence elections, but also activities to influence federal legislation, federal regulations, or educating individuals about candidates for federal office or about federal legislation, law, or regulations. Nonprofits would be required to send an annual notice to their members indicating how much they expect to spend on political activities in the forthcoming year. Members would then "vote" whether they want their dues or contributions to be used for such activities. The amount of dues money represented (on a pro rata share) by those voting in the negative would be deducted from the overall amount designated by the nonprofit organization for political activities. It would be illegal -- and enforceable by the Federal Election Commission -- to exceed the amount permitted for political activities. Tax law already prohibits America's charities from electioneering. Furthermore, nonprofits are already regulated regarding the amount of lobbying that they can do under the tax code. Most are required to report to the IRS annually about lobbying expenditures -- and these reports are available to the public. The bill's anti-advocacy provision raises significant concerns for the nonprofit sector. It: Would undermine the ability of charities across the country to speak out on public policy matters. Nonprofit organizations work in partnership with government to deliver services throughout the country. The definition of "political activity" in H.R. 3485 goes far beyond electioneering and would substantially burden the ability of nonprofits to communicate directly with federal government agencies and with Congress to discuss public policy matters. In fact, both Congress and government agencies seek the input of nonprofits on policy matters. Nonprofits play a vital role in the development of regulatory matters ranging from workplace to environmental protections, from consumer to health safeguards, and from civil rights to education. Title I of H.R. 3485 would unnecessarily restrict nonprofit participation in the development of good public policy. Establishes an artificial and restrictive cap on expenditures for "political activity." The bill requires nonprofits to establish an annual cap for political activity expenditures and restricts nonprofits from exceeding the cap. This cap is enforceable regardless of public policy matters that develop during the year. It may mean that nonprofits cannot discuss policy issues unless they planned on it a year in advance. Creates an unfair administrative burden on nonprofits. The definition of "political activity" in the Thomas bill is different than the IRS definition of "lobbying." This means that charities will need to keep two sets of records, one for the IRS and one for the FEC, and report to two agencies. It also means that both the IRS and the FEC would now be involved in overseeing nonprofit public policy activities. Forces nonprofits to divert resources from providing direct services to communities. Rather than using staff time to educate youth on the dangers of drunk driving and the law, groups such as Mothers Against Drunk Driving would have to expend staff time and money keeping two sets of books for the FEC and the IRS. Such government intrusion and overregulation is not only unnecessary but harmful to nonprofits and the people they serve. Significantly broadens the type of "political activities" that are now regulated by the federal government. All nonprofits organized under 501 of the tax code are covered by this provision. 501(c)(3) organizations are currently prohibited from electioneering. But this provision goes beyond electioneering issues to cover positions taken on federal laws and regulations and education about such matters. The tax code has limits on charitable lobbying, but has no limits on participation in the regulatory process. For all of the above reasons, I urge you to oppose any legislation that contains restrictions such as those in Title I of H.R. 3485. Disability groups around me will be adversely affected by H.R. 3485. They include the Dayle McIntosh center for the Disabled and the Orange County Deaf Equal Access Foundation as well as Greater Los Angeles Council on Deafness, Inc. This act if passed will increase the burden of lobbying our interests to the state, and national legislatures. We dont need this extra work to bring our messages to them. The disability community is one of the largest and most underrepresented groups in the State as well in the nation. Sincerely, Richard Roehm Deaf Watch Newsletter