Richard Roehm (Address snipped) March 5, 1998 The Honorable Barbara Boxer United States Senate Washington, DC 20510 Dear Senator Boxer, Please do not cut or reduce U.S. Department of Education funds for captioning! These funds provide critical access to television programs that I watch and enjoy, such as CNN, People's Court, Dateline, Law & Order, and Le Femme Nikita. These shows are resourceful and informative and they help me learn a few things as well. It is very important these shows remain close captioned. Captioning also makes it possible for me to watch television with family members and friends who can hear and enjoy. It is better to have captions than rely on someone else who is watching the shows because it removes the entertaining experience because one of the persons will have to spend time telling me what's on the shows and misses a lot of whats going on in the shows thus eliminating his/her enjoyment of the shows. Again, please do not put Deaf and hard of hearing Americans like myself back in the Dark Ages--without access to information provided through television! Information from television nowdays is practically the only source of knowledge for the majority of the Deaf Community. It is important these shows remain closed captioned to remain accessible to the Deaf community. The disability community is one of the largest and most underrepresented groups in the State as well in the nation. Thank you very much for your time to read this letter and I anticipate your response. Sincerely, Richard Roehm Deaf@activist.com Deaf Watch Newsletter