March 9, 1997 Dear Madam/Sirs, As a Deaf activist in Orange County, California, I beg of you to support Janet Reno's request of a 5 % increase in funding for ADA enforcement. Five percent is a small increase which will make results. As a victim of discrimination, I personally feel that this increase will help prevent employers from thinking of discriminating against people like me. You want deaf people off the welfare rolls right? This increase in ADA enforcement will raise the spirits of the deaf community and encourage them to find work knowing that the chances of having their rights violated will be less than it already is. I used to work for a major tourism destination and they refused to provide me with a TDD because "it costs too much". This has impacted my ability to communicate with the suppliers and that was used against me. I have repeatedly asked the Fair Employment and Housing for enforcement but they could not enforce it cause they were backlogged with cases. If there was more people working for the F.E.H. then what happened to me 2 years ago would never have happened. I am now on disability as result of this after working for that company for 13 years. I am unable to name the company or elaborate any further because I have a pending case that is expected to go on trial this summer. Again, I beg of you to support Janet Reno's request for a 5% increase in funding for ADA enforcement so future deaf and disabled generations won't have to suffer as much as I am right now. Thank you very much for the time you have taken to read and understand my plight and the need for an increase in funding for ADA enforcement. Thank You. Richard P. Roehm Nesmuth@bbs.hwsys.com Deaf Watch Newsletter Http://home.hwsys.com/users/roehm/deaf.htm