Deaf Watch Newsletter (address snipped) May 2, 1998 The Honorable Barbara Boxer United States Senate Washington, DC 20510 Dear Senator Boxer: I am writing to urge your strong support for passage of S. 1882, a bill to extend the Higher Education Act and protect students from rising college costs. A college education is the best investment we can make in America's future. Students are going deeper and deeper in to debt to meet the rising costs of college. Without the needed updates to the Higher Education Act contained in S. 1882, students access to loans, grants and other financial aid will be threatened. Disabled students oftentimes rely on financial aid in order to complete their educational needs. S.1882, sponsored by Chairman Jeffords (R-VT) and Senator Kennedy (D-MA), will make needed changes to our student aid programs that will help students significantly. It will reduce the cost of student loans by reducing the interest rate, increase the amount of grant aid available, and result in better service to students applying for financial aid. These changes to the Higher Education Act are extremely important in keeping the doors of a college education open for future generations. I urge you to work for swift passage of S.1882. The disability community is one of the largest and most underrepresented groups in the State as well in the nation. Thank you for consideration of S.1882, and I look forward to hearing from you with regard to this important issue. Sincerely, Richard Roehm Deaf Watch Newsletter