Greetings, With ADA anniversary comming up, I will be posting information from my resources. Each day of this week I have posted some valuable information to the Deaf and Disability community. Today's Resource : RED FLAGS THAT SIGNAL SUBTLE DISABILITY DISCRIMINATION IN HOUSING Sometimes, recognizing discrimination is easy. The rental office might tell you "You can't live here because you are handicapped." But more often it is subtle (secret) and difficult to recognize. Such as these examples below of less obvious discrimination: "You can't live here because there is no one to take care of you." "I'd like to rent to you, but my insurance will go up." "I can't rent to you because you are deaf and can't hear when the fire alarm goes off." "I can't sell you one of the homes we're building because you will require too many expensive modifications." "We have a `no pets' rule, and that includes your guide dog." "Since you were in an institution, you won't be safe living by yourself." "Since you used to be a drug addict, I'm afraid you'll be a danger to other tenants." "You won't be able to get out of your apartment because of your wheelchair." "We have apartments set aside for handicapped, but they're full." If you or you hear a friend talk about strange comments like above when trying to find a place to live, please contact or direct your friend to contact an attorney right away. Richard Roehm (Portions from www.fairhousing.com) ,,, (o o) ===oOO==(_)==OOo=================================================== DEAF WATCH Orange County, California Richard Roehm Chief Editor Internet : Deaf@activist.com Deaf_activist@deafwatch.com Nesmuth@bbs.hwsys.com Nesmuth@concentric.net DEAF WATCH Http://www.deafwatch.com .oooO Oooo. Http://home.hwsys.com/users/roehm/deaf.htm ====( )==( )=================================================== \ ( ) / \_) (_/ Deaf Watch will continue to aggressively pursue justice, fairness, and equality for the Deaf Community as it has been doing since November 1996. We have chosen that EDUCATION is the best way accomplish this objective.