September 13, 1997 Dear President Clinton, First of all I am Richard Roehm, a 35 year old deaf person living in California. Secondly I am a victim of discrimination and I have a legal case already in the system and I have settled my case this summer after 3 years of negotiations. I know what its like to be disabled. I know how it feels to have been discriminated against and be treated as a second class citizen. I also feel other deaf people are going through the same thing I did. I have spent the last 3 yrs recovering from the emotional trauma resulting from repeated acts of discrimination and non-ADA compliance from my former employer of 13.5 yrs. The last 5 years was very hard on me. I unable to seek employment elsewhere as I an haunted by the experiences. I have turned down several job offers because I can no longer trust other people. The past 3 years since I have left work, I have been using my free time to accumulate resources and ideas for the Deaf community and I now function as a Deaf rights advocate and activist. I have started a monthly newsletter and it is called The Deaf Watch Newsletter. All of my newsletters promote Deaf unity and cooperation toward a common goal which is to improve the quality of life for the general Deaf population. I have been seen in the news as a civil rights demonstrator and activist on several occasions. Deaf Watch Newsletter has strong alliances with heavy duty disability organizations like DICOMP and ADAPT. As I type with paint on my hands I must bring to your attention that the Gorton Amendment will deal a lethal blow to many aspects of supporting the disability community. A veto to the Gorton Amendment will show the disability community that you care for them. A veto will send a message to the politicians that they can not hide behind disabled kids while they their dirty work against them. A veto will send a message to the disability community that they can go ahead and pursue their dreams. A veto to the Gorton Amendment will boost the confidence of the disability community and work toward their goals and become productive and contribute greatly to the future of the United States. As a president who has always cared for the disabled, I can always trust you support us by vetoing the Gorton Amendment which is part of the Senate Labor, HHS, Education Appropriations Bill S1061. Thank you very much for your time to read and understand this letter and I look forward to your support. Richard Piera Roehm ( Address ) ( Snipped ) Internet: Deaf@activist.com