DEAF WORKERS OF ORANGE COUNTY PROJECT -- DEAF WORKERS WEEKLY BULLETIN -- December 5, 1998 Greetings, Busy week this has been! Fundraising, helping clients, rounding up volunteers. Next week, I'll be busier making speeches and presentations in colleges, universities, and homeless shelters where the disabled hang out. Orange County Deaf Advocacy Center finally has it's own domain website. The URL name Http://www.deafadvocacy.com speaks for itself! This weekend I focus my energies on helping the leaders of some recreational disability organizations wake up and see the damage theyr'e doing to our advocacy infrastructure by making decisions that are against the the will of our advocates. I will also focus on fundraising activities for the Deaf center. DONT FORGET PACIFIC BLUE TOMORROW! Have a safe and cheerful shopping season! Richard Roehm ---- ROEHM DELIVERS MESSAGE ON UNITED NATIONS INTERNATIONAL DISABLED PERSONS DAY December 3, 1998 Greetings, Today's known as the United Nations International Disabled Persons Day. Today's when the United Nations recognize our abilities and our ambitions to become productive contributors to society. I promised earlier this year full participation in this event but sadly I wasn't able to do so and the main reason is I'm too involved with my Deaf center supervising 14 volunteers helping out 11 clients. At least the time is being used to support the disability community. The Deaf center will soon have it's own domain site Http://www.deafadvocacy.com up and running on deaf owned servers. The staff of my newsletter, Deaf Watch, is deeply saddened to learn that one of our valued operatives in the midwest has been jailed along with his wife yesterday for reasons not relating to our advocacy. It is a shame that society would show such disregard for people who stand in the frontlines in this war to make the society a better place for people with disabilities. Fortunately the operative has been able to make bail and his wife remains in jail. We will not be intimidated by these little things that try to work against our project that is now a major force in the United States for positive and beneficial changes in the lives of people with disabilities. We still have a lot of work to do. We have to start disciplining some disability recreation organizations that patronize companies that discriminate against the disabled. Recent activities by these organizations undermine our abilities to properly enforce the Americans with Disabilities Act and do a lot to make us appear weak as a community. I ask you all to join me in this war against indiscipline by supporting The Deaf WAI. The Deaf WAI -- > Http://www.i-sphere.com/eyedeaf/wai.htm We also have to press our legislators to amend the Americans with Disabilities Act to make it better and at least enforceable for people with disabilities. Today, everyone should do something in the spirit of helping the disability community become self sufficient. Today I will just do that by filing a complaint with the Department of Justice against Tarbell Realtors for their problems with their Deaf realtors and clients. This is in the spirit of ensuring that Deaf homebuyers as well as their Deaf agents are given equal and fair treatment as everyone else. Every small thing someone does today in this spirit does a lot to help us get closer to the promised land of fairness, equality, and justice. Richard Roehm Deaf@activist.com ---- DISABILITY RIGHTS ADVOCATE SUES NEW DISNEY PARK FOR ADA VIOLATIONS (Orlando, FL) - A disabled-rights advocate from South Carolina has sued Walt Disney World, claiming facilities at its newest theme park violate the Americans With Disabilities Act. Larry McIver filed the lawsuit [in November] in Orlando federal court and is seeking a court order that would require the theme park resort to comply with the ADA. He also is asking for unspecified damages and reimbursement for his legal costs. Parking spots at Disney's Animal Kingdom theme park were allegedly improperly marked and didn't meet other ADA specifications, said McIver, of North Charleston, S.C He also claimed that counter tops inside the park are too high, bathroom doors are too heavy for wheelchair users like himself to open, ramps were built without railings and wheelchairs aren't allowed in its petting zoo. McIver, who has muscular dystrophy, said he spoke to Disney officials about his concerns but was unhappy with the company's reaction. “The only response I got was 'Put it in writing and we'll consider it,” said McIver, who has filed several lawsuits claiming ADA violations in South Carolina. Disney spokesman Bill Warren had no comment. (Source AOLNews via ADA NETWORK) (Editor's Note: Mickey Mouse still has not learned. Worse is that leaders of some recreational Deaf organizatons has yet to learn anything out of these actions by our disability advocates.) ---- NEW IRS BROCHURE HIGHLIGHTS ADA TAX BENEFITS Information on ADA tax benefits and the availability of a new brochure entitled “ADA Tax Incentive Packet of Businesses” was sent to over 6.2 million businesses as part of the September 1998 quarterly mailing from the Internal Revenue Service. The Packet explains the tax credit and deduction available to help offset the cost of improving accessibility for customers and employees. Copies are available on DOJ’s homepage (http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/ada/adaom1.htm), as well as through the ADA Information Line (800-514-0301 (v); 800-514-0383 (tdd) and ADA Fax on Demand (document #3203). ---- DIGITAL LANGUAGE WORKS WEBSITE IS UP AND RUNNING Digital Language Works Corporation is proud to announce that its web site at www.deafcanada.com/DigitalLanguageWorks is up and running. Featured at the site is our first production. It a series of three video tapes starring Christopher Welsh. Christopher is a Deaf actor and comedian who performs several skits which he has created using puppets and mime. The first two videos of the series, 'The Best of Christopher Welsh I: The Adventures of the Silencer and The Best of Christopher Welsh II: More Adventures of the Silencer', are a collection of these skits. He also does impressions of famous stars and politicians. A collection of these performances are on the third video, 'The Best of Christopher Welsh III: These are my Impressions'. For more information check out our web site, www.deafcanada.com/ DigitalLanguageWorks. You can also see video clips taken from the three videos. Go to the Previews page to view or download the QuickTime(tm) movies. The web site also includes order forms that you can print and mail in with a cheque or money order. Digital Language Works Corporation is an innovative multimedia production company dedicated to producing the finest quality video and new media productions. Our company is the result of a Deaf-Hearing partnership with a focus on producing video and new media products in American Sign Language (ASL), English and other languages. Giulio Schincariol: giulios@lefca.com Martin Koob Martin_J._Koob@magic.ca ---- DEAF SCHOOL TEACHERS REJECT CONTRACT OFFER Teachers Reject Contract Offer - (SALEM) -- Teachers at the Oregon School For The Blind And Deaf in Salem have rejected the latest contract offer from the state and have declared an impasse. The Oregon Department of Education employs the teachers and has a month to come up with a last chance contract. If it is rejected, the teachers can strike. Teachers have long complained they are underpaid when compared to nearby districts. They're asking for the same salaries as teachers in the nearby Salem-Keizer district. (Source : Yahoo News) ---- US COMMISSION ON CIVIL RIGHTS HELD A 2 DAY PUBLIC HEARING ON ADA The U. S. Commission on Civil Rights held a two-day hearing on the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) at the Washington Plaza Hotel in Washington, D.C. on November 12-13, 1998, marking the Commission's second major effort examining the implementation and enforcement of the ADA. Last month, the Commission released two reports evaluating the work of the Federal agencies responsible for enforcing the Act. “The ADA is one of the most important civil rights achievements of the decade,” said Commission Chairperson Mary Frances Berry. “We are committed to doing as thorough and objective an evaluation of the laws as possible.” Several strong advocates testified for the ADA during an open mike session just before the hearing ended. To express your support for our civil rights and the ADA, write to: U.S. Commission on Civil Rights, 624 Ninth Street, N.W., Room 540, Washington, D.C. 20425. ---- HEARTLESS THUG SHOOTS DEAF MUTE IN ROBBERY By Rocco Parascandola, Douglas Montero and Christopher Francescani A gun-wielding thug who robbed a Brooklyn bodega shot a 51-year old deaf mute who helps out at the store and lives around the corner with his elderly mother. Delores Perez, 79, who has cared for her disabled son, Philippe "Ja-Ja" Figero, since his birth, spent the holiday by his side as he lay wounded in a Brooklyn hospital bed. "It won't be Thanksgiving for me," she told The Post. Asked how she felt, the retired factory worker sighed and said, "You can't imagine." Henry Morel, 19, son of owner Antonio Morel, said the gunman entered the store, on Evergreen Avenue in Bushwick, on Wednesday night, bought a soda, and paid a dollar for it. As he walked out, he pulled a gun on Figero - who was standing just inside the door - and demanded money, Henry Morel said. "Since [Figero] couldn't understand because he was deaf, the gunman repeated it and then he just shot him. [Figero] was screaming and mumbling incoherently. At one point, he seemed to die," Morel said. "I couldn't do anything. I just turned my back and raised my arms. I didn't want to see his face." Then the gunman approached Morel as Figero lay bleeding on the floor behind him. Morel emptied the cash register of about $100 and gave it to the thief. Yesterday, Morel said he is too afraid to work in his father's store anymore. "I'm scared [the gunman] might come back looking for me." Morel said Figero is a helpful assistant and comes in seven days a week to keep an eye out for shoplifters and watch cable television. Figero was rushed to Kings County Hospital, where he remains in stable condition with a gunshot wound to the stomach. Perez, the victim's mother, said she was told of the shooting by a neighbor. Police barred her from entering the bodega, but she could see her son lying on the floor, bleeding. As for the gunman, she said "God will punish him. He will get justice from God." Perez said she spoke to her son at the hospital. "He opened his eyes and looked at me," she said, adding that he was too weak to communicate in sign language. "I'm just happy he's going to be OK." (Source : New York Post) ---- HAWAII STATE COURT TO PROVIDE QUALIFIED INTERPRETERS The Hawaii state court system will provide effective communication under an agreement signed with DOJ on Oct. 22nd. This agreement is the first of its kind to provide qualified sign language interpreters in Hawaii state court proceedings. For a copy of the press release, visit DOJ’s web site at http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/ada/adahom1.htm ---- DEAFNESS RELATED POSITION ANNOUNCED AT CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY NORTHRIDGE Description:: Assistant/Associate Professor in the area of American Sign Language/Deaf Studies (Position #99-59). Teach generic and specialization courses on the theory and practice of sign language interpreting in addition to select Deaf Studies courses. Provide advisement and academic counseling to students. Supervise student practicum experiences. Contribute to departmental curriculum and program development. Participate in activities of the Department of Deaf Studies, the College of Education, and the University. The normal full time teaching assignment is twelve (12) units per semester plus student advising and committee assignments. Salary Range: $37,956 - $47,844 (Assistant/Associate Professor with Doctorate) $34,620 - $47,844 (Lecturer with MA and Doctorate in progress) Qualifications: Doctorate in Linguistics, Education, or related field preferred. Knowledge of linguistic principles of American Sign Language (ASL) and native-like fluency in ASL. Minimum of 3 years teaching experience in the field of interpreter training. R.I.D. or equivalent certification. Extensive knowledge of Deaf Culture and the Deaf community with the ability to interact effectively with both Deaf and hearing people. Evidence of recent scholarly activity in the field of sign language interpreting. Individuals with a Master's in Linguistics, Education, or related field along with the other qualifications listed above will also be considered. If hired, s/he will be appointed to a Lecturer position (see salary ange above) and must make a firm commitment to enroll in/complete a doctoral program. Continuous employment is contingent upon satisfactory progress in a doctoral program. Contact: Please send letter of application and current professional resume to: Dr. Lawrence R. Fleischer, Chair Department of Deaf Studies California State University, Northridge 18111 Nordhoff Street Northridge, CA 91330-8265 Position is open until filled. Applications will be reviewed starting January 15, 1999. Effective Date of Appointment: August 1999 CSUN is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action, Title IX Section 504 Employer. ---- NEZ'S CYBER MALL SUPPORTS THE DEAF COMMUNITY Nez's Cyber Mall is a fundraiser project that will help support the newly created Orange County Deaf Advocacy Center. This mall has been designed with accessibility in mind. All commissions generated by sales activity within this mall will be used to support the Orange County Deaf Advocacy Center. Nez's Cyber Mall can be found at: Http://www.i-sphere.com/eyedeaf/deafmall.htm ============================================================== DEAF WORKERS OF ORANGE COUNTY Orange County, California Richard Roehm President Internet : Deaf@activist.com Deaf_Workers_OC@usa.net Website Nesmuth@worldnet.att.net Http://www.i-sphere.com/eyedeaf/dwoc.htm =============================================================== Circulation Information Direct Email subscribers : 51 Indirect Email Subscribers : 33 Feel free to redistribute this newsletter in it's entirety and if you are planning to add a mailing list as a subscriber then let me know for my records. Thank you. =============================================================== Deaf Workers of Orange County will continue to aggressively pursue justice, fairness, and equality for the Deaf Community. =============================================================== Education is the best gift that lasts a lifetime! Help someone subscribe to Deaf Workers Weekly Bulletin =============================================================== SUBSCRIPTION INFORMATION To be added to the mailing list, send "ADD WORKERS BULLETIN" To be deleted from the mailing list send "DELETE WORKERS BULLETIN" to this address Deaf_Workers_OC@usa.net Mailing lists are never sold/given to anyone. =============================================================== Need to stay on the net? Try DeafWatch's own "Keeping You Connected" page which is packed with graphical links to FREE email providers. ===============================================================