DEAF WORKERS OF ORANGE COUNTY PROJECT -- DEAF WORKERS WEEKLY BULLETIN -- Greetings, Last Monday, May 4, I represented Deaf Workers at the Santa Ana Council meeting and joined the union representatives and pressed the city council to adopt a resolution to opposing Proposition 226 (Union Silencing Initiative). The resolution was accepted unanimously 7-0. You have my assurance that I will continue to represent Deaf Workers at many events within Orange County to show the people we are getting ready to act and preserve our rights. Commenting on our fight for a fair and equal society. The 60's and the 70's produced a virtual explosion of rights. Group after group of people who had for most of our history been shut out of equal rights in this country started to ponder these questions : "Am I a person, too?" , "Does the Bill of Rights apply to me?" And thanks to many disability grassroots movements and organizations, the answer came back: YES! So by the end of that period, we saw a rise to our rights that were only imaginary only a few decades ago. Today, we are facing a backlash that is compromising our journey to the promised land of fairness, equality, and justice. The dark reality is showing our opponents have gained a few steps and been able to set us back a little bit. The major problem is the Republicans are absolutely determined to turn back the clock on almost 40 years of progress in expanding our rights by eliminating anti-discrimination remedies that grew out of the disability rights movements. They are demonstrating this with bills like H.R. 3206 and S.B. 981. to name a few. So far they had only limited success. There is no question they will continue to try even employ the sneakiest way to try chip our rights away piece by piece. Obviously we must oppose all attempts to compromise the Americans with Disabilities Act, either by ballot measure or by legislation. Richard Roehm ---- PRESIDENT'S TASK FORCE ON EMPLOYMENT CONDUCTS MEETING The first meeting of the President's Task Force on Employment of Adults with Disabilities took place on April 22 at the Department of Labor. After opening remarks by Secretary of Labor Alexis M. Herman and Tony Coelho who chairs the President's Committee on Employment of People with Disabilities (they are chair and vice chair, respectively, of the Task Force), participants heard panel discussions and presentations on such subjects as health care, personal assistance services, wrap-around services as employment barriers, education, income security programs, workforce training issues, equal employment opportunities, civil rights, and affirmative action. According to Marca Bristo, NCD chairperson, and a member of the Task Force, “I am proud to say that the creation of this Task Force stems from a recommendation developed at NCD's 1996 National Summit on Disability Policy by a diverse group of more than 300 consumers. The work of the Task Force and other NCD proposals on removing barriers to work for people with disabilities will enable many people to fulfill the dream of ADA.” For additional information, contact : Presidential Task Force Office of Public Affairs, U.S. Department of Labor 200 Constitution Avenue, NW, Suite S-2312, Washington, DC 20210 TDD 202-219-0012 V 202-219-6081, X 154 http://www.dol.gov or by e-mail ptfead@dol.gov ---- Interpreters within Orange/LA counties (partial list) Sign Language Factory - 714-776-2551 v/tdd (OC) Dayle McIntosh Center - 714-772-8366 tdd (OC) Accommodating Ideas - 818-752-3320 v/tdd (LA) Dave A. Sladek - 805-253-4423 v/tdd (LA) Karen Sexton - 562-594-0204 (OC) Special Task Interpreters - 714-996-3774 v/tdd (OC) ASL Interpreter Referral Service - 800-275-5599 (LA) Paul Coulton - 310-715-3251 (LA)(OC) ---- Current job list on the Jobs for Deaf page. Santa Ana, California (2-15-98) Carson City, Nevada (2-23-98) Framingham, Massachusetts (3-2-98) Nationwide USA (3-22-98) Santa Fe, New Mexico (4-9-98) ---- Our Letters Hello, My name is Melissa Shoemaker, I am 19 years old and deaf female. I really need looking for a job with deaf people. I feel comfortable with deaf people anyway. I would like you to help me to find information about job for deaf. I hopefully that you can find one for me. Thank you for helping me for information about job for deaf. So i would like to say to you that I lived in Bergen County. I want work in my area but there are no job for deaf anyway. PLease let me know and will contact to me as soon as possible okay thanks, Sincerely, Melissa Shoemaker ============================================================== DEAF WORKERS OF ORANGE COUNTY Orange County, California Richard Roehm President Internet : Deaf@activist.com Deaf_Workers_OC@usa.net Website Nesmuth@bbs.hwsys.com Http://home.hwsys.com/users/roehm/dwoc.htm =============================================================== Circulation Information Direct Email subscribers : 20 Indirect Email Subscribers : 0 =============================================================== Deaf Workers of Orange County will continue to aggressively pursue justice, fairness, and equality for the Deaf Community. =============================================================== Education is the best gift that lasts a lifetime! Help someone subscribe to Deaf Workers Weekly Bulletin =============================================================== SUBSCRIPTION INFORMATION To be added to the mailing list, send "ADD WORKERS BULLETIN" To be deleted from the mailing list send "DELETE WORKERS BULLETIN" to this address Deaf_Workers_OC@usa.net Mailing lists are never sold/given to anyone. =============================================================== Need to stay on the net? Try DeafWatch's own "Keeping You Connected" page which is packed with graphical links to FREE email providers. ===============================================================