DEAF WORKERS OF ORANGE COUNTY PROJECT -- DEAF WORKERS WEEKLY BULLETIN -- May 22, 1998 Greetings, Whoah! What an interesting week! I spent most of this week rattling my sword at Santa Ana Police Chief Paul Walters. I have received a number of complaints from Deaf people who had business with Santa Ana Police. What I'm getting from Mr. Walters is nothing but evasive replies. Mr. Walters is also running for the Orange County Sheriff position. I made it clear to him that I dont want his brand of ignorance be spread throughout Orange County. He wanted to distract my attention to the fact that his police departments was the first in Orange County to implement a TDD system at their dispatch center. Politics as usual...... I'm watching the elections very closely for you all and I have confidence we all will be breathing a lot easier next year. I can not support H.R. 3433 a Social Security amendment known as the "Ticket to Work and Self-Sufficiency Act of 1998" primarily because it is authored by Representative Jim Bunning the very same guy who two years ago wanted to make it excessively difficult for the disabled to keep their disability status. Would you trust this guy who tried to sell the House of Representative a tank of rat poison 2 years ago would actually return with the same tank and tell us it is filled with milk? Like hell I would. The problem really lies in the hands of employers , lawyers and judges. So far the three key factors have done nothing to protect the disabled workers or encourage them to work. The problem in which the numbers of disability recipients on the rise actually comes from employers that are not accommodating them and the many judges that rule against disability plaintiffs. Another serious factor that hampers Deaf people from filing lawsuits are the fact that many attorneys are refusing to utilize interpreters with their Deaf clients as they always state that it violates the attorney-client privilege which is an increasingly popular excuse being used to avoid the expenses of an interpreter. Lack of effective communication is actively discouraging Deaf people from bringing their complaints to the courtroom. Let's attack the problem at the roots. We dont need laws from hostile legislators like Jim Bunning to help remedy the problem of the rising numbers of the disability recipients. We need the employers to start accommodating us and our lawyers and judges to help us enforce our rights at the workplace. Richard Roehm ---- SUPERINTENDENT OF PUBLIC INSTRUCTION CANDIDATE MILES EVERETT SUPPORTS ADA I am impressed with the way you have responded to adversity by using your talents and energy to help others--with the happy benefit of growing yourself into a bigger person. I've been slow to respond because I've been traveling for two weeks and I'm now faced with a long list of E-mail message needing reply, so I cannot comment on your efforts at length. I support the ADA, but my special concern is with Special Ed programs for children. I have a continuing fear that if the public ever finds out what they are costing, there will be a backlash. I will campaign for much greater federal funding of special ed--the Feds should be paying at least 75% of the costs instead of 7 or 8 % as they do at present. That would help a great deal in protecting the programs from local attack. I'm also concerned about my ignorance of the California Schools for the Deaf, which are operated directly by the State Department of Education. What is your view of them? Are they effective? Are there enough spaces in them for those who need them? I have printed your E-mail message, and after the June primary I will follow up. Please visit my web site and urge everyone you can contact to see it, too. I ask for your vote in the June primary to help me finish a strong second to the incumbent, Ms. Eastin, who will surely finish first. If she gets a majority of the votes in the primary she is reelected-- without a general election campaign-- and the public will be deprived of a badly needed debate on school issues. I would especially appreciate your writing to your local newspaper and pointing out the facts about the election process. The Media have not covered the issues in the primary campaign--none of the candidates for State Superintendent have had serious coverage of their views or reasons for running. Thank you, Miles EvErett Miles@sonic.net ---- MEET RICHARD ROEHM ONLINE ON JUNE 7, 1998 7PM EASTERN Here is your chance to meet the man behind the "Deaf@Activist.com" handle. The Irishman will be hosting this special meeting in their chatroom. I will make a small speech "Am I a Person?". As always, I look forward to meeting you online. 2 ways to get in: 1) Talkcity Server A) Use your IRC client and type "/server chat.talkcity.com" without quotes. B) Join the Irishman's chatroom by typing "/join #TheIrishmansChatroom" without quotes. For more information on IRC and resources, visit DeafWatch's own "Deaf 'Net Chat' Resources" page. (Http://home.hwsys.com/users/roehm/deafnc.htm) 2) Irishman's website A) Point your browser to : http://www.irishman2.com/chatroom.htm ---- CALIFORNIA INSURANCE COMMISSIONER CANDIDATE DIANNE MARTINEZ RESPONDS TO JANUARY INSURANCE STORY Thank you for letting me know about Quacks failure to provide the deaf community with the necessary information to allow them to get their rebates. If I am elected I will do my best to correct that situation. A little more than a year ago, I married a wonderful man who has substantial hearing loss and wears hearing aids in both ears. We expect that at some point in the future he will lose his hearing entirely:( We have found that there are many circumstances in which he can not hear at all because of ambiant noise. So, we are both trying to learn sign language. It is not easy, especially from books. Since he lives in Oregon and I live in California and we both travel quite a bit, it is not logistically possible for us to learn sign language with a tutor. Could you recommend a video and advise me as to where I might acquire it to help us out? Anything you can do will be greatly appreciated. Warmly, Diane Martinez Democrat for Insurance Commissioner DianeMyM@aol.com ( You may find my story on Quakenbush's Ignorance at this location Http://home.hwsys.com/users/roehm/pr12798.txt ) ---- NATIONAL DEAF BOY SCOUT CAMPOREE - SPRING 1999 National Deaf Boy Scout Camporee 1999 -- Wednesday, April 28th - Sunday, May 2nd, 1999 The National Deaf Boy Scout Camporee will be held Wednesday, 4/28/99, through Sunday, 5/2/99, at the Maryland School for the Deaf, Frederick, Maryland. Hopefully as many troops from around the country as possible will be able to attend this capstone event of 75 continuous years of scouting here at the Maryland School for the Deaf. Please mark your calendars and forward this information to your troop leaders. Chad Baker Assistant Superintendent/Principal MARYLAND SCHOOL FOR THE DEAF 101 Clarke Place - Post Office Box 250 Frederick, MD 21705 (301)620-8551 bakerch@msd.edu ---- CALIFORNIA LT. GOVERNOR CANDIDATE APPLAUDS DEAF WORKERS OF ORANGE COUNTY PROJECT Dear Richard, I read with great interest about your organization "Deaf Watch," and I applaud all the work, time, effort, resources, that you have put in to the organization of the website and the Deaf Workers of Orange County. My sister is an ASL 'terp in the Bay area and for many years I have been indirectly involved with issues pertaining to the deaf community. Not only should ASL be considered as a formal second language within our school systems, but a number of other important issues must be raised outside of the deaf community in order to raise awareness and to provide equal opportunities to the deaf (and people with other disabilities) throughout the state. The ADA was a boon for our country but there are still so many people who don't even know that this important piece of legislation exists! I agree that education is the best possible route to ensuring that more and more businesses, schools, and the general public understands the meaning behind the ADA. If I win the seat of Lt. Governor, I would want you work with me on the issues that you raised. Grass roots organizing within and outside of the deaf community to raise awareness and to create legitimate options within the business community to train, hire, and otherwise promote people with disabilities is needed now more than ever. For example, I just heard a report that hi-tech companies are hiring computer programmers from outside of the country because corporate America doesn't feel that there are any qualified Americans to do the job. Intensive training in computer technology for these high-paying jobs for people with disabilities would certainly fill the void. How to do this? I would look to you for help. Take good care and thanks for writing. Regina Lark Peace and Freedom candidate for Lt. Governor lark@scf-fs.usc.edu ---- BE AN ACTIVIST WITHOUT LEAVING YOUR COMPUTER! These links connect you to the action pages of several civil rights organizations. Sign up for their action mailing lists or bookmark their action pages. It's a very easy way to help you become an activist in your area and help us make a difference! National Association of the Deaf advocacy wish list http://www.nad.org/AdvocacyWish.html National Organization of Women Take Action http://www.now.org/actions/ National Association for the Advancement of Colored people Urgent Action Alerts http://www.naacp.org/wbacton.htm Human Rights Campaign Action Center http://www.hrc.org/actncntr/index.html Bezelon Center Action Alerts http://www.bazelon.org/alerts.html The Disability Rights Activist Action Alerts http://www.disrights.org/dr-hot.html American Civil Liberties Union Act Now (You can send free faxes to legislators on any issue from this site!!) http://www.aclu.org/action/action.html American Association of People with Disabilities News http://www.aapd.com/news/index.html ---- CALIFORNIA TREASURER CANDIDATE WANTS PARKS TO BE ACCESSIBLE TO DISABLED Thank You for the honor of adding my concerns to your newsletter. Dear Fellow Californians: California only has one choice to make. We must promote and provided for the special need of our special citizens. I can assure you of the following three concerns. Since I am the Parks and Wilderness Candidate I will ensure that all our parks serve the needs of our special needs citizens. All Public Contracts should be granted to companies that are owned and operated by Special Needs Citizens First. All Public Contracts should have a solid setaside for special needs citizens Thank You Mervin Evans Democrat for State Treasurer Http://www.evans98.com ---- Current job list on the Jobs for Deaf page. Santa Ana, California (2-15-98) Carson City, Nevada (2-23-98) Framingham, Massachusetts (3-2-98) Nationwide USA (3-22-98) Santa Fe, New Mexico (4-9-98) ---- DEAF EXPO '98 ON NOVEMBER 14 AND 15 IN ONTARIO CONVENTION CENTER NORTH HOLLYWOOD, CA-- (9 May, 1998) -- Deaf Expo '98 will take place at the brand-new Ontario Convention Center in Ontario, CA. This sixth annual show, sponsored by Bank of America, General Motors Corporation, Sprint Services and Ultratec, Inc., will also feature 'Deafinitely Fashion Show', the Captioned TV Orientation and Deaf World History displays. Penny Warner, author of books with deaf characters, is also scheduled to appear at the Deaf Expo General Store. The world's most comprehensive array of exhibits covering Education, Finance, Giftware, Health, Human Resources, Publications, Recreation, Religion and Technology takes place on both days, Saturday and Sunday November 14-15th at Ontario Convention Center. Other activities include the TTY Museum, Deaf Back & Future Display, Deaf Art Contest, Deaf World performances, Seminars & Workshops, Technology Forum, ASL Ranch display and ChildCare programs. Over twenty thousand dollars worth of door prizes will be given away during both days. Sprint Services has been designated as the official Relay Service of Deaf Expo '98. Their toll-free telephone numbers are 1-888-877-5378 TTY and 1-888-877-5379 Voice. Travel Syndicate is the official travel agency of Deaf Expo '98 and will coordinate all hotel, airline and car rental bookings at toll-free 1-877-778-7477 TTY and 1-800-248-0388 Voice. Ontario Airport Marriott has been designated as the official hotel of Deaf Expo '98 and has committed to providing services beyond the minimum requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). All discounted Deaf Expo '98 hotel rates are available only through Travel Syndicate. The official hotel is just across the street from the Convention Center. Two evening entertainment events have been confirmed. Kicking off the exciting Deaf Expo '98 weekend will be 'Deaf Flashback' in the Grand Ballroom at the Ontario Airport Marriott, across the street from the Convention Center, on Friday evening, November 13th. This Deaf Club-style event will have solo performances by comedians, surprise guest appearances, an electrifying Visual Lighting Show, captioned music videos and dancing with a Video Jockey. Deaf Dinner Theater takes place at the Ontario Convention Center Ballroom on Saturday evening, November 14th. Following a full catered dinner, guests will be entertained by comedian Angela Petrone Stratiy who will portray 'Deaf Survival Of The Fittest' and share results of her satirical "So-Called Research On Hearing People". Ms. Stratiy, who is Deaf, is traveling from Alberta, Canada. Complementing this event will be lovely gals appearing in a sensational presentation. Ten thousand patrons are expected to attend Deaf Expo '98 which is organized by a non-profit corporation run by persons who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing. Full show information, exhibitor and ticket ordering capabilities will be available through the Internet at www.DEAFEXPO.ORG All show activities are open to the general public and tickets are also sold through TicketMaster and certain social service agencies in Southern California. Ontario is a 50-minute drive east of Los Angeles. To request show information, call the toll-free Deaf Expo '98 automated Information Request TTY line at 1-800-770-4470 (Voice Relay 1-888-877-5379) or e-mail to DEAF EXPO@aol.com To contact Deaf Expo show management or marketing departments, contact DEAF EXPO '98, 7712 Lankershim Boulevard, North Hollywood, CA 91605-2815 or call 818/764-4311 TTY (Voice Relay 1-888-877-5379) or FAX to 818/764-4066. ---- Our Letters... Hi, My name is Melissa Shoemaker. I am 19 years old and deaf female. I just looking for a job with deaf people. I just looking for Deaf Community that I want work there for Day care with hearing imparied children. I lived in Bergen County. I want to find information about job for deaf people. Please find a infomation for me about Deaf Community?? Thank you for everythings as if you are trying to find for me anyway. I want work in summer job with deaf people in Deaf Community. Please let me know as soon as possible okay? Thanks, Melissa Sheomaker PeachesMMS@aol.com ============================================================== DEAF WORKERS OF ORANGE COUNTY Orange County, California Richard Roehm President Internet : Deaf@activist.com Deaf_Workers_OC@usa.net Website Nesmuth@bbs.hwsys.com Http://home.hwsys.com/users/roehm/dwoc.htm =============================================================== Circulation Information Direct Email subscribers : 28 Indirect Email Subscribers : 8 Feel free to redistribute this newsletter in it's entirety and if you are planning to add a mailing list as a subscriber then let me know for my records. Thank you. =============================================================== Deaf Workers of Orange County will continue to aggressively pursue justice, fairness, and equality for the Deaf Community. =============================================================== Education is the best gift that lasts a lifetime! Help someone subscribe to Deaf Workers Weekly Bulletin =============================================================== SUBSCRIPTION INFORMATION To be added to the mailing list, send "ADD WORKERS BULLETIN" To be deleted from the mailing list send "DELETE WORKERS BULLETIN" to this address Deaf_Workers_OC@usa.net Mailing lists are never sold/given to anyone. =============================================================== Need to stay on the net? Try DeafWatch's own "Keeping You Connected" page which is packed with graphical links to FREE email providers. =============================================================== __ ( \ Richard Roehm Deaf@Activist.com \ \ Silent /-------------------------------------------------------\ \_______|\ < --------< DEAF WORKERS OF ORANGE COUNTY >-----------< _______| | \-------------------------------------------------------/ / |/ Http://home.hwsys.com/users/roehm/dwoc.htm / / Knight (__/