DEAF WORKERS OF ORANGE COUNTY PROJECT -- DEAF WORKERS WEEKLY BULLETIN -- June 27, 1998 Greetings, This week is another week of many accomplishments! I have a number of local politicians and powerful latino activists helping me out with the grants for the Orange County Deaf Advocacy Center. I am pleased and excited to announce that Orange County Deaf Advocacy Center will be partners with Special Task Interpreters For the Deaf (STID) agency to provide effective communication services for our consumers in Orange County. STID's CEO Alicia Speare and I have been very good friends for a very long time and I'm glad our friendship has turned into a business partnership. I look forward to working with Alicia in helping move the Deaf community in Orange County forward. You may contact STID at (800)STIDVIP (784-3847) V/TDD or (714)996-3774 V/TDD or (714)528-1441 or STID1@AOL.COM and STID is a non profit public benefit agency. After reviewing some suggestions by readers of this bulletin, I am considering expanding the coverage of our service region to include portions of Long Beach and Los Angeles. Actually this is due to that I have consumers in these areas that are in need of my assistance. I will soon have a map draw out and I will pass this information to you. This will be in effect until someone else manages to establish a reliable Deaf center in Long Beach and Los Angeles. Richard Roehm ---- ROEHM DENOUNCES REPUBLICANS ON JUNE 21 PRESS RELEASE June 21, 1998 Dear Republicans, As the spokesperson for the Deaf community within Orange County, California, I am saddened to recognize the level of ignorance the Republican party has fostered within our state and country. Take the following examples of extreme actions by the following members of the Republican party in Congress and Senate: 1)Gorton Amendment to Bill S1061 Senator Slade Gorton Cuts disability education funding by 50% Reaction : http://home.hwsys.com/users/roehm/pr91397.txt 2)Rowland's appointment Connecticut's Commission on the Deaf and Hearing Impaired Connecticut Governor Rowland Totally compromised the agency. His appointee was destructive to the agency. Reaction : http://home.hwsys.com/users/roehm/pr102697.txt 3)Quackenbush's Ignorance on Public service ads. (Prop 103 Rebates) California's Insurance Commissioner Chuck Quackenbush. Omitted TDD information and refused to have subtitling for the hearing disabled. Reaction : http://home.hwsys.com/users/roehm/pr12798.txt 4)H.R. 3206 Rep. Brian Bilbray A ridiculous reduction of the rights of children with disabilities in group homes. Reactions : http://home.hwsys.com/users/roehm/pr21698.txt http://home.hwsys.com/users/roehm/pr22198.txt 5)Gorton Amendment to HR 2646 Senator Slade Gorton Gut protections for children with disabilities. Reaction : http://home.hwsys.com/users/roehm/pr32598.txt 6)Shuster's amendment to HR 2400 Congressman Bud Shuster, Chair of the House Transportation Committee Exempts Greyhound Bus Lines from ADA compliance Reaction : http://home.hwsys.com/users/roehm/pr33098.txt 7)Rep. Clay Shaw's proposals to Supplementary Security Income (SSI) Program Congressman Clay Shaw Disastrous changes to the Social Security programs for the disabled. Reaction : http://home.hwsys.com/users/roehm/pr6298.txt Your party's level of ignorance is causing some grave concerns among members of the Deaf community. All the above along with the party's refusal to endorse a Deaf Republican congressional candidate Cathy Bolcar for the 7th district Minnesota seat is a disgrace! It is most likely this level of ignorance already displayed could possibly be only the tip of an iceberg. I dont want this level of ignorance to be encouraged throughout the state of California as well accross the United States and therefore I cannot support Republican candidates. ---- VOLUNTEER AT THE NEAREST CAMPAIGN OFFICE Good experience and good for resume's. These potentially winning campaigns below would love to have Deaf people helping them out. They are already accessible and patient with Deaf volunteers like me! Give them a hand! Barbara Boxer for Senate Contact : John Use relay to call : 310-575-9880 Location : Los Angeles Loretta Sanchez for Congress Contact : Linda Use relay to call : 714-537-5192 Location : Garden Grove Mike Matsuda for Assembly Contact : Jodie Use relay to call : 714-635-1273 Location : Anaheim Joe Dunn for State Senate Contact : Charlotte or Carina Use relay to call : 714-550-7176 Location : Santa Ana Lou Correa for Assembly Contact : George Use relay to call : 714-542-0708 Location : Santa Ana Californians for Indian Self-Reliance Contact : Daniel Use relay to call : 800-621-0544 Location : Los Angeles They will start you of on simple tasks such as stuffing - addressing - stamping envelopes, putting up signs, and other simple tasks. Later on when they trust you more, then they will give you better projects like data entry, internet, 'opposition research', and other projects of greater seriousness. It really depends on their need at the time you are there. Diane Martinez for California's Insurance Commissioner is badly in need of a volunteer webmaster. DianeMyM@aol.com ---- WRAD NEEDS INFORMATION REGARDING DISNEY For those of you who have or know someone who has experienced unusual accessibility problems (lack of interpreters.. employment related problems.. ..etc) at any of Disney's resorts, your voice will finally be heard by a respected Deaf organization. Now is the time to inform your regional WRAD leaders about this. They will soon be reviewing all information and make a determination whether or not WRAD should continue to patronize Disney company. YOUR COMMENTS ARE IMPORTANT and please make it happen soon within the space of 10 days so they can make a quick and fully informed decision. I also would appreciate the responses be sent by private messages. You may send them to me and I will promptly forward them to the WRAD people that are reviewing this information. ---- "SHOW YOUR POWER" RALLY NEEDS VOLUNTEERS IN ORANGE COUNTY Deaf Workers of Orange County will have a weeklong accessibility testing "rally". We will test, complete with video camera, selected business for accessibility. We have gathered a list of establishments that have accessibility problems with disabled consumers and we will be testing them. This will take place on various times from July 26 through August 1 and will all be inside Orange County, California. The nature of this is to educate the businesses if they want a share of a profitable new market with an annual disposable income worth more than $188 billion, then they better open their business to us. We will produce and send to the Dept. of Justice the complaints along with a copy of the video. We need volunteers on wheelchairs and a number of Deaf people to help me with this rally. If anyone wants to recommend business(es) for testing, feel free to send me the information in this format: Business Name Address Telephone and/or Fax number The problem(s) ---- BECKY OGLE NAMED AS EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF DISABILITIES TASK FORCE FRIDAY, JUNE 26, 1998 - D.O.L. NEWS RELEASE Secretary of Labor Alexis M. Herman today announced that she has appointed Rebecca (Becky) Ogle to serve as the Executive Director of the Presidential Task Force on the Employment of Adults with Disabilities. "Becky is a terrific manager, coalition-builder, and strategist. We are fortunate that she has agreed to run the day-to-day operations of the Task Force," said Secretary Herman, who also chairs the Task Force. "The President charged this Task Force with a plain and direct mission --- design a national strategy to make equality of opportunity, full participation, inclusion, and economic self-sufficiency realities for all 30 million working-age Americans with disabilities. Becky Ogle will help us make that happen." President Clinton created the Task Force on March 13, 1998 when he signed Executive Order No. 13078 on the employment of adults with disabilities. The Executive Order directs the Task Force "to create a coordinated and aggressive national policy to bring adults with disabilities into gainful employment at rate that is as close as possible to that of the general adult population." Secretary of Labor Alexis M. Herman is the Chair of the Task Force. Tony Coelho, Chairman of the President's Committee on the Employment of People with Disabilities, serves as Vice-Chair. Other members of the Task Force are the Secretary of Commerce, the Secretary of Education, the Secretary of Health and Human Services, the Secretary of Transportation, the Secretary of the Treasury, the Secretary of Veterans' Affairs, the Commissioner of the Social Security Administration, the Administrator of the Small Business Administration, the Chair of the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Director of the Office of Personnel Management, and the Chair of the National Council on Disability. Becky Ogle is a long-time and effective advocate on behalf of people with disabilities. She began her involvement with government as the Director of Governmental Affairs & Advocacy for the Spina Bifida Association of America. Ms. Ogle has also served as the Director of Project: AccessAbility for the National Association for Medical Equipment Services and led several legislative and public education campaigns relating to important issues the Task Force will address, including health care, accessibility, and assistive technologies. Ms. Ogle has also served twice as the Disability Access Coordinator for President Clinton's Inaugural Committees. ---- Current job list on the Jobs for Deaf page. Santa Ana, California (2-15-98) Carson City, Nevada (2-23-98) Framingham, Massachusetts (3-2-98) Nationwide USA (3-22-98) Santa Fe, New Mexico (4-9-98) ============================================================== DEAF WORKERS OF ORANGE COUNTY Orange County, California Richard Roehm President Internet : Deaf@activist.com Deaf_Workers_OC@usa.net Website Nesmuth@bbs.hwsys.com Http://home.hwsys.com/users/roehm/dwoc.htm =============================================================== Circulation Information Direct Email subscribers : 38 Indirect Email Subscribers : 39 Feel free to redistribute this newsletter in it's entirety and if you are planning to add a mailing list as a subscriber then let me know for my records. Thank you. =============================================================== Deaf Workers of Orange County will continue to aggressively pursue justice, fairness, and equality for the Deaf Community. =============================================================== Education is the best gift that lasts a lifetime! Help someone subscribe to Deaf Workers Weekly Bulletin =============================================================== SUBSCRIPTION INFORMATION To be added to the mailing list, send "ADD WORKERS BULLETIN" To be deleted from the mailing list send "DELETE WORKERS BULLETIN" to this address Deaf_Workers_OC@usa.net Mailing lists are never sold/given to anyone. =============================================================== Need to stay on the net? Try DeafWatch's own "Keeping You Connected" page which is packed with graphical links to FREE email providers. ===============================================================