Annella Chatel's CJD Experience

by Peter Card Chatel

My mother, Annella Chatel was recently diagnosed with CJD. We are waiting to hear the results of the spinal fluid and blood tests for some level of confirmation. Her symptoms, however, very clearly align with those of other CJD victims. This disease is most cruel. My mother began feeling dizzy on October 21. She went to a small 24 hour clinic and was treated for the dizziness.

My brother then visited my Mom on November 2 after the dizziness persisted and her speach began to hint at perhaps a slight stroke or something different. My brother found my mother to be unable to care for herself, uneasy on her feet. He took her for a Catscan, MRI,and bloodwork -- all proved negative.

I joined my brother on November 5 and found my mom's behavior different and troubling. She was changing significantly on a daily basis. She knew she was dying and wanted to go on to the next life.

My brother took my mother to Rhode Island on November 12. He had her evaluated more completely and was refered to a neurologist who diagnosed CJD.

My mom is now bedridden, cannot see, has frequent hallucinations, significant tremors, cannot talk, and is having difficulty swallowing. We hope that this ends very soon. She does not deserve this cruel fate -- no one does.
Peter Chatel

NOTE: Annella Chatel passed away December 9, 1998 at 7:45 AM after 5 1/2 days of comatose condition. The family is now beginning the ordeal of dealing with their emotions and their loss.

Back to The Many Faces of CJD