Karl Davis Funchess

Daddy

My two sisters, my brother and I always called my father, "Daddy", even after we were all grown-up, and too old (by some standards) to do so. But, we are Southern, and Southerners always call their fathers "Daddy" no matter how old they are. It is a very special name, as the saying goes, "any man can be a father, but it takes someone special to be a "Daddy" . . . and he was very, very special. My daddy was loving, devoted to his family and his church, a spiritual man who read and studied the Bible daily, intelligent, funny, and generous. Daddy didn't really have any hobbies, like golf or fishing, he had four children to put through college and he did.

Daddy was the original computer guy, becoming involved in computers in the 50s and 60s when they were huge and housed in ice-cold rooms. At the time of his illness, he was the director of computer services for Panama City, Florida, after having taken early retirement from the Navy civil service. Daddy had had a massive heart attack and undergone open heart surgery in May 1986, but had come through the surgery with flying colors and had followed the doctor's order religiously, even seeing the "physical terrorist" as required.

The first clue that we had that something was wrong was in the spring of 1987 when Daddy and Mama had taken a trip to Atlanta so that Daddy could attend a seminar. Mama was staying with Daddy's sister and family in Monroe, Georgia, north of Atlanta, near Athens. Daddy would stay in Atlanta during the week, and head for Monroe on Friday. This was to be a 2 or 3 week seminar. After the first weekend, Daddy asked Mama to come back to Atlanta with him, because he was having trouble with his driving, particularly his vision. At one point, he had pulled off the road and asked Mama to drive -- something that had NEVER happened before.

When they returned home, Daddy went to the eye doctor, several times, but the eye doctor merely changed his prescription and sent him home. Soon Daddy's personality began to change, he was confused, antagonistic, and began seeing things that were not there. He began to have problems walking. My mother called me several times (I live a hundred miles away), and I would just urge her to take him to the doctor, something that would not have been easy anyway. I didn't realize how out of control he was. Finally, she had to take him to the emergency room and have him admitted. He, too, recognized that something was wrong with him, but no one suspected what a horrible and devastating disease had him in its grip.

The doctors in Panama City were perplexed, and initially diagnosed him with paranoia. My mother and I were so frustrated, we knew it was not a mental disease, even though we were not medical professionals. We knew that it had to be neurological because he had begun to jerk and move convulsively, even in his sleep. The doctors recommended that we take him to Gainesville's Shands Hospital, so we did. At Shands, we first heard about CJD, although the doctor there called it "Jakob Creutzfeldt Disease". The doctor wasn't sure of his diagnosis and said that the only way to determine for certain was a brain biopsy, but they didn't want to do it. I insisted, because I hoped that they would find that it was not this horrible disease, that they had made a dreadful mistake, and that it was something treatable. After all, couldn't every disease be treated -- even cancer patients could be treated? But, it was our worst nightmare -CJD was confirmed- no treatment, no hope. Although Daddy had periods of lucidity before the operation, after the biopsy, he never spoke again. The worst moment of my life was telling my 85-year-old grandmother that her oldest son was dying. It is not easy to lose a child at any age!

We took Daddy home to Panama City where he stayed in the hospital for a few weeks, then we were basically told to take him somewhere else, they could not do anything for him. He was in what they call a "vegetative" state - how I hate that description- he had periods of wakefulness and sleep, but no longer responded to us. We kept talking to him and touching him, hoping that we could get through to him and let him know how much we loved him. My mother, God bless her, would not put him in a nursing home, she insisted on taking him home with her and she did. She got a hospital bed, and all the equipment she needed, engaged a home health care nurse to come in 3 times a week for 4 hours and cared for my Daddy from October of 1987 until his death on Jan. 20, 1988. It was hard work, he had to be turned and medicated every four hours, and he was on a feeding tube, but for her, it was a labor of love.

The very best Daddy in the world never got to see his first grandchild, who was born on April 17, just 3 months after his death. He knew that he was going to be a granddaddy, because my sister was able to tell him while he was still lucid. Rebecca was born with a tiny heart-shaped freckle under her right eye, her "angel kiss." We have always told her that her Granddaddy gave her that kiss right before she was born. Daddy now has six grandchildren, two named after him, and he would have adored those children and would have been the kind of Granddaddy that all kids want, but CJD deprived these children of ever knowing what a wonderful man their grandfather was!

Daddy was killed by a disease he had never even heard of, and we, his family, still do not know how he contracted it. It is relentless, untreatable and heart-breaking. I hope and pray that one day this killer will be stopped and that no one will ever have to go through again what my family went through.

Kathryn Funchess

Back to The Many Faces of CJD