Painful Memories

My wife Shirley died in 1989 of Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease (CJD).. We had been married 48 years.

It was horrible. The Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease devastated her brain. In just two to three months Shirley went from ordinary walking, to walking with a cane, to a walker, then a wheelchair. She was dead within seven months.

She didn't know she was dying, but she didn't deserve to die that way. Sometimes she would start shaking - her whole body would shake - and there was no way to stop it. She'd try to talk to me. I could see she knew what she wanted to say, but it would come out gobbledygock..

She was correctly diagnosed, but there was no treatment.

She died a year after spending three weeks on the United Kingdom island of Jersey visiting friends. First I saw Tom Brokaw talking about Mad Cow Disease on the news and then I read about it in Today's News-Herald. Now at least I know where she caught this disease. All the time I never knew.

The rare disorder was confirmed by autopsy report after Shirley's death. We had to be sure it wasn't something our four children would inherit.

I learned a great deal about CJD from the National Organization for Rare Disorders in New Fairfield, Conn.

My wife had carpal-tunnel syndrome surgery in 1989. That seemed to trigger the disease. Shortly after the surgery she said, "Look at my hands, they're wonderful." We then decided to go to a mall that day.

She said to me, 'Am I walking to the right? I feel like I am walking to the right.' And that was the beginning of it.

Back to the Many Faces of CJD