My Beloved Uncle Rudy

My uncle, Rudolph J. Huck, passed away from Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease after only a month and a half from the time he went into the hospital for what the doctors first thought was a stroke to the time he died. Uncle Rudy was 73 years of age,

He lived with his wife, Dorothy and their champion standard poodles in Las Vegas, Nevada. He had moved there from Aguora, CA, a few years ago after he retired. He was very beloved in our family.

The symptoms were very much the same as all the others.

This disease took him very quickly. He went into a coma and the doctors said three weeks. He died the very next day on Friday, January 14, 2000. My aunt asked for an autopsy, but the doctors would not do one.

I guess they were afraid of getting infected. It wouldn't have mattered, we all knew what took him.

My sister wrote to me and said she always remembered the Christmas's at Grandma Huck's house. We waited with great anticipation for the wonderful pajamas and mittens that Grandma always gave to us and then watch with delight, as she opened the beautifully wrapped packages from Uncle Rudy and Aunt Dorothy in California. It gave all of us a little glamour to look forward to.

My uncle was a very brilliant man. He didn't have a college education, but read everything in sight. If he didn't know how to do something, he would read and study and learn all about the subject. He moved himself up in his career by sheer determination and self education. He loved life and loved his wife with all of his heart. They raised champion poodles.

I'll never forget when I was a little girl, my uncle's dog, Lisa, was going to be on the Red Skelton show. We couldn't imagine what they would have her do. But, Red Skelton was playing the role of a hobo on the show. He had gotten fleas and couldn't get rid of them. So, he went off stage and came back with Lisa. Lisa carried the fleas away. Later when Red came out to say hello to the audience, you could hear Lisa barking backstage. Lisa had been the national grand champion that year.

Thank you for listening.

Margaret

Back to the Many Faces of CJD