Sonny's Battle

Sonny was a really great guy. A devoted father of three, a very loving grandfather of 4 and my caring, gentle and vital life-partner. To know him was to love him, he had many very close and dear friends that are as bewildered by his death as we, his family, are.

On May 15th 1999 my significant other, Sonny complained of "forgetting" things. He had forgotten the phone number of the local hospital where his daughter Cindy worked, he had been calling that number for almost 20 years, and it upset him terribly that he couldn't remember the number. He even tried to look it up in the phone book, but was looking in the wrong place to find that number. That was the first incident that was a bit upsetting, but we all forget phone numbers, and niether I, nor Cindy, who is a nurse, got all upset over it.

A couple days later Sonny called me at work to tell me that he "couldn't think". He was very distraught, so I left work and came home to see what he was so upset about. When I got here he was on the phone with the VA hospital trying to tell them what was wrong. He handed me the phone and I made an appointment for the next day.
The doctor that saw Sonny that day(May 21, 1999) told me that she thought there was some memory loss and scheduled a cat scan of the brain for 2 weeks later ( June 3rd). So we went home and waited for June 3rd.
On May 30th Sonny was very distressed and told me that I needed to call his daughters, because he was going to die. He was very distraught and confused and almost childlike. I called his daughters and took him to the local Emergency Room. He was admitted with a diagnosis of stroke treated for 4 days as if he had had a stroke. All tests came back normal, no stroke. Many tests were done, all of which come back normal. As Sonny got progressively worse, and more confused, another test indicated the possibility of Herpes Encephalitis. 2 weeks later, that turned out to be a false positive test The spinal fluid is now sent to Washington DC for the CJD test. By now he is not eating, more confused, and pulling out IV's. A triple lumen subclavian catheter is inserted to infuse Hyperal in order to nourish him. He was restrained in his hospital bed, which he fought vigorously, exhausting himself in the process. He ended up ripping out the stitched in triple lumen also. Totally uncharacteristic of this kind, gentle, loving man. By this time his daughters, his sister and brother, and I were very concerned and did not want to believe that Sonny could have this terrible disease, but what else was there?... How could he have gotten it?... Why Sonny?..
We got the test results approximately 6 days later. Positive! We were all devastated, by now Sonny was not able to control his urine, and not able to recognize people consistently . I think he knew His daughters and me for a while longer, but not everyone, like long time friends that would come to visit. The doctors had put him on Haldol to calm him, as he got very agitated very quickly and would become combative.

As soon as the positive test result was received, Sonny was placed in a nursing home facility and 2 days later became uncontrollable, according to the facility, and was sent back to the hospital until another place could be found. We found another place and he was admitted there on Thursday the 1st of July. With each visit we noticed a significant decline. Sonny passed away on July 11th. 48 days from first symptom this wonderful man was taken by this disease that we had never even heard of.

This has been a devastating summer for those of us who loved Sonny. Our dear, sweet Sonny. He was smart, helpful, loving, strong and hopeful, just two short months ago. An autopsy was performed at the IU Medical Center in Indianapolis, IN .. we have not been notified of results as of today(July 15, 1999.

Back to The Many Faces of CJD