BARBARA FREDERICK POULTER

DIED 12-14-97

If I had one last thing I could tell you, it would be, I love you. I'm sorry for the stupid argument we had the last few months, BEFORE this hideous disease ROARED through your body. BUT, I PROMISE MOM, YOUR DEATH WILL NOT GO UNANSWERED!

HEIDENHAN VARIANT CREUTZFELDT JAKOB DISEASE

We got a call from my Mother around the end of Oct. saying "the damn'est thing has happened, I can't see, and if I'm talking to you and I don't make sense, bare with me, I'll come back". It was a shock to all of us. It seems that a few days before, she was crossing the ferry and became frightened because she was having problems seeing. She explained it as looking down a tunnel or not being able to see from the sides, and seeing brown spots.

We had NOT been talking, over something, we had NO control of, for a few months. So I did not know she had been having these visual problems, until she was blind. These were her first symptoms. From that point on, I was with her most everyday. I had to cross the Galveston/Bolivar ferry, and its about 30 minutes each way, so as the disease progressed, it gave me a great deal of time to think. When the visual problems started, it was about 2 weeks later, and she was blind. That led to coordination, and balance problems starting. But as this hideous disease progesses, it just GOES. You don't seem to catch up with it. It was like a fire in a hurricane. We would go out and get her things she needed one day, and the next day it would be obsolete, because the disease had gone to another stage. So you started over. Her coordination and balancing led to being in a wheel-chair. She was starting to get these trembles. I also noticed how her hands and feet started to go inward. Her speech was nothing more than jerble at this time, and this was probably about the 6th week, (at this point we had to tie her to the wheel chair, to keep her from falling out). The trembles had turned into SEVERE JERKS, that at times would take 3 of us to hold her down. I will never forget that....About her 8th week she became comatose....She died around the 10th week. I had spent the night, she had problems through the night, so the nurse came. She checked her out and comforted us, (HOSPICE IS A WONDERFUL ORGANIZATION). The nurse said she seemed to be alright and that it would probably be alright to go home for a few hours. I was on the Ferry, going back to Galveston, when I got the call, she was gone. What can you do, Mom was gone, and I was stuck on the Damn Ferry, going the wrong direction.

She knew what she had. I remember, before she had lost her speech completely. After a doctors conference, and CJD had come up. She heard us say CJD, and she screamed, SHE knew! At that point, I didn't know what was, much less, CREUTZFELDT JAKOB DISEASE.....I have learned a lot since. I have learned I truly miss my Mom and I am MAD as hell that she is gone!

Terry/MADSON!!!

SYMPTOMS:

VISION - BLIND IN ABOUT 10 TO 14 DAYS

COORDINATION AND MUSCLE CONTROL
SWALLOWING DIFFICULTY
CONFUSION AND DEMENTIA
SPEECH PROBLEMS
HALLUCINATIONS
TREMBLES TOO SEVERE
JERKING
LOSS OF WEIGHT
HANDS AND FEET GREW INWARD