Why Tom?
By Sarah Guttierrez

Tom was always a nice, quiet, very loving man. He was my father's best friend. Tom was very easygoing. He was diognosed with "Mad Cow Disease" ( aka CDJ ) in August of 1999.

I don't know why, but I remember when he had the flu, he had my best friend and I wash the dishes for $5 each. There was a pot, 2 bowls and 1 glass in the sink. Later I found out that he had done that because we were talking (unaware that we had "an audience" ) about going to the movies but we didn't have enough money for all of us. Well, that is beside the point. Tom was so loving, he never yelled nor even raised his voice around me. He was the kindest, sweetest man.

He got to where he was cold all the time, he would sit down on a chair and then fall out, and his eyesight became very bad. My father went to visit him in the hospital and he didn't know who he was (they are best friends)... Eventually Tom was sent to Georgia where the medical facilities are better and his family lives in Georgia. He has lost his sanity. He has to be tied down. It is so hard for me to see Tom ... crazy... it is hard to see him violent.

I just want to share my story and ask one question : Why Tom?? If the chances of becoming affected are 1 in 1,000,000, why Tom? Well... we all love you Tom...

Sincerly with all my love,
Sarah

** Tom is currently living in Georgia, he is barely surviving, and doesn't have much more time to live. Life is the greatest gift anyone has ever received.

Back to The Many Faces of CJD