This is a mirror of the now defunct eesite ASOIAF webboard.

The discussions for G.R.R. Martin's awesome series "A Song of Ice and Fire" are now being held at: Current ASoIaF Webboard

You cannot post new messages to this board. Go to the Current ASoIaF Webboard for the most current discussions.

A Song of Ice and Fire / Announcements / WELCOME TO THE BOARD II

Next 20 Messages Newest Messages
Min
User ID: 9433023
Aug 9th 1:02 PM
This is the area for our newbies, a place to introduce themselves and to ask silly and intelligent questions alike.
The Official Chairman of Heartfelt Welcomes, dear newbies, is gentle Claidham. If anyone here will be friendly towards you, it's him.
Ok, just kidding.
Welcome to the board!
Min
Aug 9th 1:03 PM
Aegon, the old board just crashed. Don't ask me the big technology-why, I just know it crashed. I found this site pretty soon by Revanshe's site which announced the new board, so I came here, and I am glad I did so. :-)
Claidhaim
User ID: 9544623
Aug 9th 1:59 PM
As are we all, Min :o).
Etranger
User ID: 0687174
Aug 10th 10:16 AM
Greetings to all present,

Well, my story is quite simple, I was on a break in Britain, went to the library for something to read, read aGoT, liked it a lot, gave it back, went out and bought it. Read it about 10 times. Had aCoK sent to me the very day it came out in hardback in the UK (BTW, I like our covers more). Read about 5-6 times, (and aGoT another 2-3 times).

Now it is summer, and I have quite a bit of idle time at the office. I was looking up the release dates for Volume 3 and found all you maniacs out here. Did not know if to write or not, but the duel between Min and Jeff, made me decide, yes, you are all loopy. So I am here to see what goes on.

I guess you will hear from this European gentleman sooner or later.
Kay-Arne Hansen
User ID: 9209903
Aug 10th 10:36 AM
Well, I'll throw a welcome your way, Etranger (since there seem to be pretty few others present at the moment).

*throws*
Etranger
Aug 10th 10:45 AM
I am most grateful Kay-Arne.
Could you reccomend a not too difficult to join into part of the BB?
Kay-Arne Hansen
Aug 10th 10:47 AM
I'm not sure why you think our state of minds are
less than healthy...

***surreptitiously closing door to open padded cell***

...but let me assure you that everyone here is quite normal...

***fiddles with straight jacket***

...now, how about you go over to the 'Readers' section, tell all about yourself, your dreams, your hidden desires, your name and home address, the easiest way to get there, the quickest and safest escape route from there, as well as your recommendations for proper garnityre to "Hors D'Oeuvres a'la Homo Sapiens Sapiens"?
Etranger
Aug 10th 10:51 AM
Will do. I think. Therfore I am. Not a looney.
Kay-Arne Hansen
Aug 10th 10:51 AM
Well, I missed that last post of yours, but it seems like it gave a proper answer to your question anyway. When done at the 'Readers' section, just plunge in any place you like. Most of the discussion takes place at the 'Clash of Kings' sections, but most of the other are also in use.

Be sure not to start a new topic (not the same as posting, mind you)in the first 'Clash of Kings' part - it is full, and every new topic will delete an old one (at the bottom). Make use of the other 'Clash of Kings' section for that.

Claidhaim
Aug 10th 12:10 PM
Very well done, Kay-Arne. I knew you'd be the very best of Vice-chairmen when appointed to the Welcoming committee. Etranger, greetings. Welcome aboard and have a good time. But if you spill something, please be kind and clean up after yourself. Towels are located in the closet, third door to the left as you go down the hall.
Kay-Arne Hansen
Aug 10th 12:18 PM
Hey, if they are to my...um..._taste_, they are all welcome.

*files tooth*

No people dry as sawdust, no one tough as leather, all just juicy, succulent...uh, sorry, I got a little carried away. I'll go have an appointment at the dentists now.
Ser Gary
User ID: 8068153
Aug 10th 2:38 PM
Claid, are those my towels from the Westin? Er, I mean that I brought back as souvenirs from my vacation?
Claidhaim
Aug 10th 3:11 PM
Why yes, they are. Might as well put them to good use for the masses, eh?
Min
Aug 13th 4:12 PM
Welcome, Etranger.
I am a bit late, but I am sure wou will forgive me. It honours me that Jeff and my duel was the thing that made you stay. You will fit nicely into out band of weirdos ;-).
Daniel R. Baker
User ID: 1425064
Aug 18th 11:52 AM
Hello, I guess I should have come here first, but I didn't realize there was a place just for newbies.

I've only read AGoT and ACoK once each. I just got done with ACoK on Sunday. Obviously, I'm very impressed with the series so far.

If there was a FAQ that I should have read, I didn't see it, so if anyone wants to direct me to it I'll go there.

I'm a 26-year-old paralegal, incidentally, and a veteran of Tolkien, Hodgell, Weis & Hickman, and Jordan.
Min
Aug 18th 1:01 PM
Welcome, Daniel. I already read your comment in the Best Lines topic... I like people who can say so much with so few words. :-)

There indeed IS a FAQ on this board, but we found out that there is no way to answer questions like "who was behind the assassination attempt of Bran" in a few words. So it is seldom used anymore.

In the topic Readers, we presented ourselfs, and you and others are welcome to do the same there.

And you shouldn't miss the Question of the Week in the ASoS section if you are looking for some FAQ-like thing. Noble Ser Gary brought it up: There is another Question each week (like the one I mentioned above), and we discuss it for a week, then summarize. I think in the four filled QotW-topics, there can many answers be found.

Just jump in, browse around, make yourself comfortable and fling any new or weird ideas and thoughts to us... every new opinion is appreciated here. :-)
Claidhaim
Aug 25th 9:56 AM
Julie, welcome to the board! Jump right in and swim around. Everyone is welcome into our thought pool (just don't pee,:o)). Some of us have been hanging around here, and the old Dragonstone Board, for almost a year now, and there are some thoughts that I didn't at first agree with, couldn't substantiate, but there are some very persuasive people here.

Somewhere around here there is a topic called "The Readers", I think in the "Other Topics" thread where we all introduced ourselves somewhat. Check it out, and if you are feeling generous, tell us a little about yourself.
Min
Aug 26th 10:53 AM
Claid, why should they not pee in the pool? It is what Jeff does all the time, and we like him still... ;-)
Jeff
User ID: 0227464
Aug 26th 11:55 AM
Maybe so Min, but unlike yourself, I at least refrain from _drinking_ that water.
Min
Aug 26th 12:36 PM
Drinking? I drown myself in it! :-)
Next 20 Messages Newest Messages