I CRIED FOR A LITTLE BOY
WHO ONCE LIVED THERE
State Juvenile Records Section Eight
[Note by the author:  Due to the disc space required (some 29 Meg) the actual scanned copies of the records could not be used in these pages, but the data herein has been kept as accurate as possible.]

RAINBOW

IOWA SOLDIERS' ORPHANS' HOME
DAVENPORT, IOWA

IN THE MATTER OF                )
THE TRANSFER OF                  )                                  To The State Juvenile Home
LARRY EUGENE PETERSON  )                                            Toledo, Iowa

Des Moines, Iowa
       July 27, 1945

WHEREAS:  Larry Eugene Peterson #8465 was on January 27, 1942, Admitted to the Iowa Soldiers' Orphans'
                       Home, Davenport, Iowa, after being committed to that institution from Juvenile Court in and for
                       Story county, Iowa, and

WHEREAS:  This boy is a constant runaway, and a change in environment would be beneficial to him,

THEREFORE:  Upon the recommendation of Mrs. Ethel Nichols, Supt. Children's Division, and Mr. Harvey
                            Daines, Supt.

IT IS ORDERED:  That this boy be transferred form the Iowa Soldiers' Orphans' Home, Davenport, to the State
                                 Juvenile Home, Toledo, Iowa, (Sections 3648, 3701, 1710, Code of Iowa.)

IT IS FURTHER ORDERED:  That this transfer be made by and at the expense of the Iowa Soldiers' Orphans'
                                                     Home, Davenport, Iowa.

Signed and attested by the seal of the
     Board of Control of State Institutions
     this 27th day of July, 1945.

(Signed)    Warren L Huebuer
       Secretary

Transfer as above was made on August 17, 1945     (Signed)  Harvey E Daines

[ Note by Larry Eugene:   Notice the date at the heading of this form, it is the day after I took maters into my own hands and "took off" from the orphanage.  It was the only answer I had to all of my problems.  They had me locked up in a room on the third floor of the hospital and I didn't want to stay and face Ms. Gruber nor anyone else. ]

SOLDIERS' ORPHANS' HOME
Davenport, Iowa
------------------
SUBSEQUENT HISTORY
Runaway returned
No. 8465   Name    Peterson, Larry Eugene             Residence       Nevada  Co.       Story

Returned to Institution - Picked up in Rock Island again by police  July 30th '1945    

Ran away 7-26-45                  Cause                                                                                       

Final or otherwise         - - - -                                                   Physical condition         Good

Age  Born:  May 13, 1934     Remarks 

[Note by Larry Eugene: Form filled out on the return from my last escape from the orphanage. ]

IOWA SOLDIERS' ORPHANS' HOME
HARVEY E. DAINES
SUPERINTENDENT

DAVENPORT, IOWA

Aug. 2, 1945

Iowa City, Iowa
8/9/45

Mr. Harvey Daines,
Davenport, Iowa.

Dear Sir:       Re: Larry Peterson

Larry Peterson was seen in the Dermatology Department on 8/7/'45 The boy states that about two weeks ago the nurse found a bald spot on his head.  On examination there was no florescence under the Wood's light.  I feel that this boy has an alopecia areata and that the hair is growing back in the bald spot.

I would recommend that no treatment be used.

Thank you for referring these cases to the Hospital.

Very truly yours,

E. Wallace, M.D.

[Note by Larry Eugene;  From the frying pan and right into the fire.]

SOLDIERS' ORPHANS' HOME
Davenport, Iowa
------------------
SUBSEQUENT HISTORY
Transferred
No. 8465   Name    Peterson, Larry Eugene             Residence       Nevada  Co.       Story

Transferred -- Chronic Runaway                                                                                    

Transferred August 17, 1945   Cause       Runaway                                                                

Final or otherwise         --------                                                Physical condition         Good

Age  Born:  May 13, 1934     Remarks 

Transferred      August 17, 1945 to State Juvenile Home, Toledo, Iowa                     

[Note by Larry Eugene;  To me as I look back, that had been a very sorry day for me.]

RAINBOW

State Juvenile Records Index 

State Juvenile Records Section Nine