I CRIED FOR A LITTLE BOY
WHO ONCE LIVED THERE
State Juvenile Records Section Nine
[Note by the author:  Due to the disc space required (some 29 Meg) the actual scanned copies of the records could not be used in these pages, but the data herein has been kept as accurate as possible.]

RAINBOW

STATE JUVENILE HOME
TOLEDO, IOWA

No.   2093                        Name.   PETERSON: LARRY EUGENE
Residence.  Nevada                                  County.   Story
Admitted on    TRANSFER               From   Davenport                                 Supported by   Story
Adjudicated.   Iowa Soldiers' Orphans' Home   July 27, 1945
Parent or guardian.                                      P. O.                      Address                            Co.              
Name of corespondent.                               P. O.                      Address                             Co.          
Color.     White          Sex.  Male         Age.   11  Height.   4     ft.   9  in.              Weight.   79   lbs.
Date of  birth.         May 13,  1934                  Place.     Ames, Iowa                                                 
Father living.             Deceased                  P. O.                      Address   1120-2nd Ave.   Co.            
Mother living.    Yes-Sylvia Leifheit          P. O.                      Address  Rock Island, Ill.  Co.         
Nativity of father.     Iowa                                   Occupation.                    Financial.                         
Nativity of mother.   Iowa                                   Occupation.                    Financial.                          
Character of father.                                             Education.   8th Grade      Religion.   PROT.          
Character of mother.  ?-Drinks                          Education.   8th Grade      Religion.     "                  
Conjugal relation of parents.                              Mother remarried - father deceased                       
Physical condition of child.                                                                                                                     
Any bodily infirmity.                                                                                                                                
Disposition.     Restless, impatient, nervous, crying           Habits.      Chronic runaway.                      
Education attainments when admitted.
Opinion of Supt. as to condition at admission.                                                                                          
Opinion of Supt. as to propriety of admission.                                                                                           

SPECIAL HISTORY OR REMARKS

ADMITTED: 8-17-45 chronic runaway and committed as dependent and neglected.
     The County Attorney filed a complaint June 28, 1940 against the mother charging her with disorderly conduct and drinking excessively, also charged the that the children were dependent and neglected which charges the mother admitted July 5, 1940 stating she was unable to care for them.  Therefore it was ordered and adjudged the children be placed in the care, custody and control of the Iowa Children's Home Society in Des Moines.  In the beginning following the placing the boys in foster homes the mother was given permission to visit them but when she did so while intoxicated, the privilege was withdrawn.  Following her marriage to Mr. Leifheit, they took up residence in Rock Island, Illinois, lived over a tavern and she works at Woolworths and buys her meals at cafes.  Mr. Leifheit has a Reformatory (Anamosa) record and her brother-in-law has been arrested on a charge of burglary.
     Dr. Habenicht stated "that these children are badly in need of long time routinized training such as given in institutions.  When they entered foster homes they were completely untrained in the habits of cleanliness and eating."  Larry Eugene had been given tests at different times revealing him to be normal
or average in classification, with an I.Q. of 101 and mentally suited for good average adoptive home.

[ Note by Larry Eugene:   This Leifheit thing is still following me from the time I was committed to the orphanage to here.  It was to follow me all of the way through the Juvenile Home which was to prevent me from ever being returned to my mother, as you will see later on.  Of course this had been copied from my Orphanage Files andwas only a repeat of what Ver Ney of the Story County Welfare Department had written in his report of January 27, 1942.  You know what I think of him.  (not very much) This had all been handed on information, none verified, none updated.  Note my mother's address, 1120-2nd Ave. Rock Island.  Mr. Daines states in his letter of July 18, she is living in Des Moines.  In reality she is now living in Nevãda, Iowa with her parents. ]

PHYSICAL RECORD
            Name of institution     State Juvenile Home, Toledo, Iowa                                         Date         August 17, 1945     

Name of child          LARRY  EUGENE   PETERSON     #2093                  Place of  birth               Ames, Iowa
            Father          Floyd Peterson
Race      W                                    Sex        M.                              Date of  birth        May 13, 1934
            Mother  
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Family diseases -- Members affected
Tuberculosis    ................................................................................. Epsilepsy.......................................................................................
Venereal  ........................................................................................... Alcoholic .....................................................................................
Other diseases ..........................................................................................................................................................................................

Previous diseases of this child (check only those applicable, with approximate dates,)
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Chicken Pox                 X                             Measles            X                         Whooping Cough                   X                            
Operations                 Tonsillectomy                                                                                                                                                       
State source of above information                                                                                                                                                            
                                 ___                                                                                                                                                                          _
                   INITIAL  EXAMINATION                                                               ROUTINE  EXAMINATION                                
Date   8 -17 45   Temp     98    Pulse   Irregular                 | Date             Tem          Pls          | Date          Tem            Pls
Height   4' 9"              Weight    79#                                     |  Ht.                       Wt.                    | Ht.                     Wt.                              
Complexion                       Fair                                                |                                                         |                                                      
General development        OK except too light weight       |                                                         |                                                        
Posture defect                none                                                  |                                                         |                                                        
Orthopedic defect         none                                                    |                                                         |                                                      
Eyes                              Hazel                                                     |                                                         |                                                      
Ears              Deaf in R. ear -  L. ear hearing greatly reduced                                                     |                                                         
Teeth             See dentist                                                           |                                                         |                                                        
Tonsils          Out  2/10/42                                                       |                                                         |                                                        
Heart                 OK                                                                     |                                                         |                                                        
Lungs                    OK                                                                 |                                                         |                                                         
Hair and scalp          Blond   -- light brown.                            |                                                         |                                                          
Abdomen                   Neg.                                                          |                                                         |                                                           
Genitals                  Neg.                                                             |                                                         |                                                          
Remarks 

[ Note by Larry Eugene:  Note, on August 17, 1945, the date I entered the Juvenile Home and the date of this physical, I was first noted being deaf in my right ear and hard of hearing in in my other ear.
    According to my calendar, that day I entered the State Juvenile Home was 52 years ago.  Strange how I remember that day so well.  When I look at the size of me then, I almost gasp, "They beat up on a little kid like that?]

November 7, 1945

Mrs. Clara Bloomburg
1150 W. 67 Street
Des Moines, Iowa
      Re:  Jimmie Peterson   #8464
       Larry Peterson   #2093
 Dear Mrs. Bloomburg:

We are enclosing a letter from the mother of the above children and wish, when you are next in the vicinity, you would visit with her. Before going, however, we would appreciate your very carefully going through the file.  This mother was formerly married to an Anamosa parolee and her record was none too good.  She is the mother of the little boy you were looking for when you went to Ames in an effort to make contact with her brother.  You also tried to locate her in Des Moines.  Please do nothing about this until we go through the files together.

Very sincerely yours,

`    BOARD OF CONTROL OF STATE INSTITUTIONS

By  CARBON COPY - NOT SIGNED
     Ethel Nichols, Supt.

[ Note by Larry Eugene:  This letter that Mrs. Nichols speaks of, a letter from my mother, was not in my files but it had been a letter requesting Jimmie and my return to her.  I want to note that it is stated here in this letter that my mother was "formally married" to this Leifheit.  At this time Mrs. Nichols believes that my mother is no longer married to Leifheit, if she ever was.  My mother, as the next letter will show, was then living with her parents in Nevãda, Iowa. ]  
November 19, 1945
Mrs. Sylvia Leifheit
819 7th Street
Nevada Iowa
      Re: Larry and Jimmie Peterson
#2093       #8464

Dear Mrs. Leifheit:

Mrs. Bloomburg has given us her report on your request for the return of your sons, one of whom is at Davenport and the other at the State Juvenile Home at Toledo, Iowa.  It was necessary to transfer Larry to Toledo, since he was quite a runaway problem.  Mrs. Bloomburg has explained to you that it will not be possible, due to your living conditions for you to have the boys with you and if at any time you are wanting to come to Des Moines and talk the situation over with us at the old Amos building on the corner of E. 12th and court Avenue, we will be very happy to talk with you.  We will always be glad to tell you how the children are if you if you care to write us.

Very sincerely yours,

BOARD OF CONTROL OF STATE INSTITUTIONS

By  CARBON COPY - NOT SIGNED
     Ethel Nichols, Supt.
     Children's Division.
 EN:pg
Cc: Toledo
      Davenport
      Bloomburg
 [ Note by Larry Eugene:  My mother was to tell me years later of this visit Mrs. Bloomburg made to her.  At first Mrs. Bloomburg was agreeable to return Jimmie and I to my mother when my grand- mother Halterman agreed to watch after us while my mother was working during the day, but when, during that visit, my grandmother changed her mind Mrs. Bloomburg decided my mother could not have us back until that time her living conditions were so we would be taken care of properly.  My mother would make a documented visit to to Mrs. Nichols' office two and a half years later, only by then Mrs. Nichols would no longer be the superintendent of the Children's Division of the Board of Control of State Institutions.  By then this event and the letter my mother had written had been forgotten.  This letter is the last record of Mrs. Nichols being the superintendent of the Children's Division.  The first record I have of her was March 12, 1943 when Mrs. Todd wrote to her.  This letter was written one year and ten months after I was taken from my foster home.  I also believe the absence of Mrs. Nichols was to be detrimental to my case of eventually being returned to my mother or being placed. ]

[Note by Larry Eugene:  The following letters were written over a span of about 18 months.  They were written by a doctor in the University Hospitals in Iowa City, Iowa.  In all of the time I was in institu- tions, other than having my tonsils removed when I was seven years old, once I seen a dentist in the Juvenile Home, once I was so sick in the Juvenile Home and once in the Training School I had to be confined to a hospital, I had no other medical attention other than the physicals performed on entering the institutions.  There was more attention placed on me getting a hair cut every month than there was on me having a annual physical.  But then, I am alive to day so I guess I was all right then.  But then, I was not in a dental chair from the time I was 13 until I was into my twenties.]  

UNIVERSITY HOSPITALS
Dept. of Oto-Laryngology & Oral Surgery
Iowa City, Iowa.

February 26, 1946

Mr. L. H. Ladd,
Juvenile Home
Toledo, Iowa.

Dear Mr. Ladd:

Your patient, Larry Peterson, was recently seen in our clinic. Examination revealed a mixed type of deafness with marked air conduction hearing loss, right; vasomotor rhinitis; septal deflection, mild; hypertrophied adenoids and chronic lingual tonsillitis.  Treatment at this time consisted of radium to eustachian tubes.  His hospital course was uneventful.

We request the patient to return in one month for another audiometric study and possibly additional radium.

Thank you for so kindly referring this patient to our services.

Very truly yours,

(signed) D. M. Lierle  M.D.

CC:  Dr. Hutchinson
        Mrs. Nichols

May 10, 1946

Mr. L. H. Ladd, Superintendent
Juvenile Home
Toledo, Iowa

Dear Mr.  Ladd:

Your patient, Larry Peterson, was recently discharged from the hospital.  Examination revealed hypertrophied adenoids;  chronic pharyngitis;  septal deflection;  chronic purulent maxillary sinusitis, bilateral;  acoustic neuritis with inner ear deafness, right, and mixed deafness left.  Treatment consisted of antrametals, bilateral; penicillin, vitamin C and correction of the dental caries.  We recommend the boy continue taking vitamin C, 300 to 400 mgm., daily;  avoid respiratory infections;  take lip reading instructions and move to a warm dry climate.

We request the child to return May 14 for further observation and treatment as indicated.

Thank you for so kindly referring this patient to our services.

Very truly yours,
     D. M. Lierle, M.D.

STATE UNIVERSITY OF IOWA
UNIVERSITY HOSPITALS

June 20, 1946

Mr. L. H. Ladd, Supt.,
State Juvenile Home
Toledo, Iowa.
                                                        Re: Larry Peterson #2093
Dear Mr. Ladd:

Your young charge, Larry Peterson, was recently discharged from the hospital.  Examination of the previously performed antrametals operation revealed the windows to have closed necessitating reoperation with obtainment of purulent material.  Following this he received penicillin treatment.  Also, during this admission he had a final application of radium to the eustachian tubes. However, another audiometric test revealed essentially no change in his hearing defect.

We request Larry to return in four weeks for reevaluation of his hearing and treatment as indicated.

Thank you for so kindly referring this patient to our service.

Yours very truly.

D. M. Lierle, M.D.

The State University Of Iowa
University Hospitals
Department of Oto-Laryngology
and Oral Surgery

July 17, 1946

Mr. L. H. Ladd, Superintendent
Juvenile Home
Toledo, Iowa

Dear Mr. Ladd:

Your young charge, Larry Peterson, was recently discharged from the hospital. Examination reveled acoustic Neuritis;  chronic pharyngitis;  mixed deafness;  chronic hyperplastic maxillary sinusitis, bilateral, and conjunctivitis.  the boy was given local treatment to the eye;  anoral washings were done and were essentially clear.

We plan to have Larry return at a later date for hearing aid fittings and, also, to reevaluate his case for the entrance to the School for the Deaf.

Thank you for so kindly referring this patient to our service.

Very truly yours,

(Signed) D. M. Lierle, M.D.
 [ Note by Larry Eugene; "School For The Deaf" is another Iowa institution.  I think I would have really of like to have gone there but I didn't know of these considerations being made until after I received my state records some some 40 years later.  We will hear more of this "School For The Deaf" about a year later in another letter."]

[Note by Larry Eugene:   The following dates I went to the hospital in Iowa City, Iowa.  At the same time I was running away but not as much as I would later.  I never knew from one visit to the next that I would again be going to the hospital, so I would run away.  If I had known I would be soon going to the hospital again I wouldn't have ran away.  My visits at the hospital would last about one week. As you can see, I went about every month.  When I ran away I had to stay in Isolation for two weeks, so those months between the first of the year and July had been sort of active for me.  It wasn't boring. ]

First visit to the hospital----Middle of February, 1946
                            Ran away twice from the Juvenile Home.
Second visit-------------------Shortly after the first of May, 1946
                            Ran away the third time from the Juvenile Home.
Third visit---------------------Middle of June, 1946
                            Ran away the fourth time from the Juvenile Home.
Fourth visit------------------- Middle of July, 1946.
This would be the last visit until the following year, mainly because they got so they couldn't schedule my appointments, I had either ran away or was in Isolation.  I was running at any opportunity I could get.

April 11, 1947

Mr. L. H. Ladd
Juvenile Home
Toledo, Iowa

Dear Mr. Ladd

Recently Larry Peterson returned to the clinic for observation. Our findings revealed chronic ethmoiditis, mild and the remaining examination was essentially the same as on his previous admission.  The antra meatal opening on the right was patent and the washing returned clear; on the left the opening had closed but after the sinus puncture the washing returned clear.

At the time of discharge Larry was advised to use Isophen 5 drops in each nostril b.i.d. for 10 days. In our opinion a return date was not indicated unless you think it is advisable.

If you desire additional information, kindly let us know.

Yours very truly,

D. m.  Lierle, M.D.

[ Note by Larry Eugene;  Oh, how I hated those sinus punctures.]

May 28, 1947
Mr. L. H. Ladd
Juvenile Home
Toledo, Iowa

Dear Mr. Ladd:

Recently your patient, Larry Peterson, returned for observation.  The clinical and x-ray examination (sinuses) were essentially the same as on the previous admission.  While the patient was here, an antra metal, bilateral, was performed and the post operative  course was uneventful.  Several audiometric studies were made and various results were obtained due to un-cooperativeness.  In our opinion the patient has a very depressed outlook on life which appeared to become progressively worse on the repeated visits.  At this time he was seen in consultation with he Department of Psychiatry, and enclosed is a copy of their findings.

If you desire additional information, kindly let us know.

Yours very truly,

D. M. Lierle, M.D.

[ Note by Larry Eugene:  Every time I read this letter, I think, I wonder why I had a "depressed outlook on life."  I am sure it was because of this letter and the accompanying psychiatric report (which is missing) was the cause of my never being allowed to return to the hospital in Iowa City.  I had complained of child abuse and Mr. Ladd hadn't like that in the least. As a matter of fact, he was downright angry with me. ]

August 15, 1947
Mrs. Clara Bloomburg
1150 W. 67th Street
Des Moines, Iowa
     Re: Jimmie Dale Peterson #8464
         Larry Eugene Peterson #2093
Dear Mrs. Bloomburg:
     Mrs. Sylvia Peterson, 1217 6th St. Nevada, Iowa, mother of the above named boys, has been concerned because these boys are separated.  Larry is in Toledo, and Jimmie in Davenport.  She requested that Jimmie be placed with Larry in Toledo.  This, of course, is not satisfactory.  Larry has had some difficulties and is greatly depressed.  He should be with his mother, or in a foster home.  Inasmuch as the mother has not requested the boys, we do not have an application on file.  I would like to have you read the records on these two boys, and when I return - I would like to talk with you and make plans for a home visit.  I want you to contact the mother to determine whether or not there is a possibility of placement.
     Mrs. Peterson is working at Donnely's, and living with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Halterman of Nevada.  When you secure the information from the records, we will discuss this further.

Sincerely yours,
     By
      Elizabeth Palmer, Director
      Children's Division

[ Note by Larry Eugene:  This letter first tells me Mrs. Nichols is no longer with the Board of control.  This letter tells me though Mrs. Palmer seems concerned about my emotional well being. -- She did not check her file very well, for the records I have were copies of records from her files and I have a request made by my mother for Jimmie and my return to her on or about November 7, 1945. -- Also at this time make note, Mrs. Palmer is aware of my emotional status. -- She states in her letter, "when I return."  She went somewhere, maybe on vacation.  I feel this absence was to cause them to "drop the ball" for I don't see where this line of action was followed  through, as you will see.   The letter must have been somewhat confusing to Mrs. Bloomburg, in one place she is told to wait, in another to do certain things, like a visit with my mother.  My mother is now living with her parents, above my uncle's (Howard) new plumbing shop.  His parents sold their home and loaned him the money to build the building. (This is not part of my life but, in the early 50s after his father had died, he was to sell that building which forced his mother to rent a little two room apartment.) ]

August 15, 1947

Mr. L. H. Ladd, Supt.
State Juvenile Home
Toledo, Iowa

Re: Larry Eugene Peterson #2095
         Born 5-13-34
Dear Mr. Ladd:

Mrs. Sylvia Peterson, the mother of Larry, was in the office and talked with me concerning her sons, Larry and Jimmie.  She stated that Larry had attempted to run away from Toledo five times in an effort to reach his brother, Jimmie, who is in Davenport.  The mother felt that if Jimmie were transferred to Toledo that both boys would be happier.  It is my felling, that perhaps, both boys should be returned to their mother, if it is possible for her to supervise them.  I am requesting that an investigation be made of the mother's home, but in the meantime - I would like a report from you regarding Larry.  Will you please send me a summery of his social and emotional adjustment in the Home.  I would like to know what behavior problems he has had, and what type of punishment has been used on the boy.  An interview with the boy's cottage mother, and a report of her findings and observations, would be of value.

Sincerely yours,

By
      Children's Division

[ Note by Larry Eugene:  This letter was of interest to me for several reasons.  My mother was in the Des Moines office on the 15th of August or possibly the day before.  She mentioned I had ran away five times.  According to what I read in my records, that was correct for the summer of  '47.  Where did she get this information, surely not from me, for at that time she was prohibited from seeing me.  I doubt that I would have told her that anyway.  It must have come from Mr. Ladd, probably as the reason why she could no longer visit with me.  Telling her that it upset me too much, so much I would run away.
    Where did she get the idea I was running away to get to my brother Jimmie.  I didn't now he was in the Iowa Soldiers' Orphans' Home in Davenport at that time.  I wasn't to know that until I received my State Records some 43 years later.  I had been told he had been adopted and I would never be allowed to know where he was.  My mother never told me he was in Davenport.  So I didn't run away to be with my brother, maybe if I had known he was there in Davenport, I would have tried to get to him but I didn't know.
    I look at this letter and one thing stands out very clear to me.  Why did Mrs. Palmer want to know, "what type of punishment has been used on the boy."   Years later my mother told me she knew I was being abuse, not only physically but sexually.  At this time my mother must have complained to Mrs. Palmer I was being abused.  I know that she seen the bruises on me once,  that had been the time she had taken me into the office to talk with Mr. Ladd and I had fearfully, I had tearfully asked her not to say anything to him.  After all, he was part of it.  As far as sexual abuse, she only suspected that for I never told her anything about it.  I wouldn't talk to anyone about that.  But it was strange to me, why Mrs. Palmer  would be asking Mr. Ladd about the type of punishment that was being used on me, after all, she was the Director, his superior.  Is she asking him if I might be, being abused by my cottage parents?  Maybe investigate to see if I am being abused?  To me, that was sort of like asking the bear if he was in the honey pot.  I would also like to point out, this line of thought was not carried out, followed up, but was to eventfully die.  In reality, I don't think she would really wanted to know that abuse was going on in one of her institutions.   She would buy any story that was plausible. ]

State of Iowa                   For Normal Children  Who are:
                                                   BOARD OF CONTROL                     DEPENDENT OR
                                                OF STATE INSTITUTIONS                  HOMELESS
                                                                                                                  NEGLECTED OR
                                                                                                                                                       DESTITUTE
ADDRESS ALL COMMUNICATIONS TO THE SUPERINTENDENT
   IF  CONCERNING AN INMATE GIVE NAME IN FULL
 State Juvenile Home
 .L. H. LADD, Superintendent
  Toledo, Iowa

August 25, 1947

Mrs. Elizabeth Palmer, Director
Children's Division, Board of Control
Des Moines, Iowa

Dear Mrs. Palmer:
    Re: Larry Eugene Peterson  #2093

Your letter of August 15 relative to the above named boy has been received.  Larry's record of runaways is quite extensive.  He has run away five times since April of 1947.  At no time has he gone towards his brother in Davenport nor have I never heard him mention his brother's name as being the reason why he ran away.
      Larry is hard of hearing in one ear and we have attempted to make arraignments to have him transferred to the School for the Deaf in order to be sure that he would be provided with necessary education in case he went completely deaf.
      His social and emotional adjustment both at Davenport and here have not been good.  He wants what he wants NOW.  He can not seem to realize that people have to earn the things they get in life.  He has a very pleasing personality when he chooses to be friendly.  This side of him he reserves for people he meets on escape.  In most all cases he has sold them on the fact that he is a very much abused boy.  He also succeeds in convincing them that he has a very pleasant personality, is a very likeable young man, and that he enjoys work.  He has ran away from his work schedule twice this summer.  He resents restraint in any form.  He objects to living up to the ideals of the cottage and he feels that he is restricted in his activities.  He tells me that he gets excitement and pleasure out of running away.  He admits he has no particular spot in mind when he takes off.  He has been more or less of a problem in school and an in and outer so far as his behavior is concerned in his cottage.
     I have spent hours explaining his various mistakes, encouraging him to do the right thing, and showing him the folly of running away. Today he gave me a reason for running away that he had been good for three weeks and that nobody had placed him out.  As near as I can tell, he resents all the things that are done for him and seems to feel that he has a right to find happiness in any manner that suits his desire.
      So far as disciplinary measures are concerned, we have used every device we can think of.  He has been deprived of the privilege of going to the picture show, placed at a separate table in the dining room, and has been placed in isolation at the hospital.  The results in all cases have been unsatisfactory.  He told me today he was going to get to Canada because that was out of the United States and the Juvenile Home couldn't pick him up if he got there.  His worst fault is his running away.  He has not been guilty of much petty thieving and is fairly cooperative in carrying out orders.

Trusting the above will be of some value to you.

L. H Ladd Superintendent
State Juvenile Home

[Note by Larry Eugene:   When I first seen this letter and one that he was to write a year later, my comment, or thought, had been, "What is so aggravating, to see a letter like this so many years later, is knowing the author of it is too dam old and feeble or dead so I couldn't tell him what I thought of him."  But then there are times I want to laugh out loud.  For I think "What a kid."   The feelings I have for him, even though I was that boy, are very strange for I think I love him....  what can I say but "What a kid."
    I can only take this letter a paragraph at a time, so starting with the first paragraph.  He states I ran away five times that year.  The total number of times, up to that date, I had ran away from the Juvenile home had been thirteen times as later records will bare out.  One time I went to Sioux City, one time I had gone to Maxwell, Iowa, (and on to Nevada, Iowa) one time I had gone to Traer, Iowa.  The other ten times I had either gone east towards Davenport or as on one occasion I had gone about six miles south and was caught by a farmer and that farmer hadn't been so considerate of me.  I never mentioned my brother to him at any time.  I listened to  Mr. Ladd,  he talked to me and I kept my mouth shut.  Out of the four times I remember him having contact with me, three of those times, he was mad and he did all of the talking.  One time in the dining hall he seen I wasn't eating and asked me why.  We had liver that day and liver always made me throw-up so when it had been severed to me I had sat there alone at my table and was near tears, for I knew I couldn't eat it and if I didn't clean my plate up I would be on restrictions for the rest of the day.  He told me to put my potatoes and white gravy on top of it and I would like it.  So I did and I found that I did like it that way.  I think this in it's self shows I was so willing to please this man, I had overcome my revulsion of liver to satisfy him.  This brings out another point.  I had a great fear of Mr. Ladd for I knew what he could do to me but I also had a great respect for him. If anyone in the Juvenile Home could have helped me overcome the problems I was having, it would have been him.  I was open for him to walk in and he never did.  He was too busy trying to solve his problems to be concerned with mine.
    In the next paragraph he states I am hard of hearing.  Well this was a known fact the day I entered the institution on August 17, 1945, two years before.  The School for the Deaf was first mentioned in a letter from Dr. Lierle of Iowa City on July 17, 1946.  That had been over a year prior to this letter.  So what is he talking about here?  Garbage.  Him being so considerate in case I should go completely deaf.  Garbage.
    The third paragraph is nothing but a bunch of contradictions.  He tells, "he has a very pleasing personality,"  "has a very pleasant personality,"  "is a very likable young man."  Then in the same breath he contradicts himself.   In reality he is describing me as he sees me but he is being constrictive in saying I put on an act with those I meet on escape.  I would like to point out, the one I had met on escape who he is talking about was the marshal of Traer, Iowa, about a month before this letter.  I do believe he was still smarting from the encounter he had with the marshal.  So in the light of that I can very easily see why he is writing this paragraph the way he did.
    I never had a job so what work schedule is he talking of?
    I remember the day he speaks of here.  He asked me why I ran away, I really don't remember the exact answer I gave him but it hadn't been I "got excitement and pleasure out of running away."  Running away was never any fun nor was it exciting.  I was usually cold, hungry and dirty, at times wet and very much alone, that is not fun
    The forth paragraph.  I don't think he spent more than a total of an hour with me in the two years previous of this letter.
   Yes I told him I had been good for three weeks.  Two of those weeks I had been in isolation, one on restriction.  It seems reasonable I should be "placed out." <G>
    I noticed in the last paragraph he didn't mention a lot of things they were doing to me in the way of punishment.  I wonder, did he think Mrs. Palmer would disapprove if he told her?  It makes me wonder, if he knew it was so wrong, why was he condoning it?   In all of the time I was in the Juvenile Home Mr. Ladd never hit me, though I did see him whip Mary back in the spring of '46, but then, he really didn't have to whip me for he had Mr. Urquhart to do all of the dirty work.
    In the last lines of his last paragraph he is contradicting every negative thing he has said about me.   Very confused man. ]

September 8, 1947

Mrs. Channing Evans
State Agent
Iowa State Board of Education
State Capitol
Des Moines, Iowa

Re: Larry Peterson  #2095

Dear Mrs. Evans:

Mr. Ladd, State Juvenile Home, has written to me several times concerning the above named boy, who is an inmate at the Toledo Home.  Reports show that Larry is totally deaf in one ear, and it is felt that arraignments should be made for his attendance at the School for the Deaf.

There is a history of social and emotional maladjustment during the time he was in Davenport, and since his transfer to Toledo.  A great deal of this may be cause because of his physical handicap.  It was reported that he had a very pleasing personality when he chooses to be friendly.
I regret I did not make note of this earlier in the summer, but it has taken a long time to make progress.  If you feel there is and chance for this boy to be admitted to the School for the Deaf, I will forward you more complete information.

Sincerely your,

By
      Children's Division

[ Note by Larry Eugene:  I mentioned in the footnote to a letter by Mrs. Palmer dated August 15th,  a line of thought was not followed through.  This letter here is dated, September 8, a Monday in 1947,  a couple days over three weeks since Mrs. Palmer first wrote to Mrs. Bloomburg and Mr. Ladd about the possibility of me being returned to my mother or possibly being placed out.  That idea seems to have been forgotten by the time of this letter.  There is nothing to my knowledge as to why this should have been so.  Two other points were brought out.  Was I being abused?  Should I be sent to the School for the Deaf?
     The suggestion of an investigation of abuse ended with Mr. Ladd's letter which had been written a week and five days before the above letter was written.   Sending me to the School for the Deaf from all appearances, ended with this letter for there is nothing else in my folder to indicate otherwise.   As a matter of fact there is nothing more in my file for the next ten, almost eleven months, and I question why this is so.  What was going on in my life at that time so there might be no records of it?  I think you will see at about the time  of this letter, my life had made a drastic change, and because of that, as far as my records were concerned, I was forgotten. ]

State of Iowa
BOARD OF CONTROL
OF STATE INSTITUTIONS
 State Juvenile Home
 L. H. LADD, Superintendent
  Toledo, Iowa
July 28, 1948
Mr. Herbert H. Hauge, Member
Board of Control of State Institutions
Des Moines, Iowa

Dear Mr. Hauge:

Re: Larry Eugene Peterson  #2093
        Born  5-13-34

The above mentioned boy was admitted to the Juvenile Home August 17, 1945.  This boy has been a problem ever since his admission.  His record shows that he has run away on thirteen separate occasions.  Just before his last runaway he was being considered for placement, as he had shown a temporary improvement.  Just prior to his escape he was involved in entering the matron's room and taking various small articles.
     On Tuesday, July 27, 1948, he was given the opportunity of working with the detasseling crew as a water carrier.  It was felt this would give him an incentive to better effort.  Instead he stole a 1941 Chevrolet and started for Davenport.  He drove at a high rate of speed and near Marengo ran in the ditch and did between $100 and $150 damage to the car.  He was apprehended by Sheriff Reid of Tama County and returned to Toledo.  Owning to the fact that he received some small injuries he was placed in the Juvenile Home hospital rather than in the county jail.  The doctor examined him last night and again this morning and informs us that he is in satisfactory condition and no serious injuries.
      In view of the theft of the automobile, his long record of runaways, and the fact that the county will prosecute if we do not, I am asking for his immediate transfer to the Training School for Boys, Eldora.  Your prompt attention to this matter will aid us in keeping this matter out of the newspapers.
[ Note by Larry Eugene; Well Mr. Ladd, I do have a few problems with your letter here. I guess we had better take it a line at a time for so much of it is nothing but garbage.
    I was admitted to the juvenile home on August 17, 1945.   I may have been a problem to you but not since I was admitted.  I ran away 15 times in the first two years (not 13) but the last year before this letter I had not ran away.  Except you forgot to mention you threw me in Isolation for a week for talking to a girl only a week prior to this letter.  You were not considering me for placement -- if you were (which is doubtful, not a 14 year old boy) you sure didn't tell me about it, so why even mention it here -- only to make me look bad, as though I knew it but still ran away?
    I did not break into my cottage parents' room and "take various small articles."  I was not that type of a boy to steal from those I loved.
    On July 27, 1948 you did not give me the "opportunity of working" I was told to go.  To do better?  I had not been in any type of trouble for the last 11 months except talking to the girl the week before this letter.
    After all of the GOOD things you did TO me I stole a car?  How ungrateful I must have been.
    I guess I did damage the car, seeing I didn't know how to drive one.  My regret is that it wasn't your car, and I hadn't totally destroyed it.
    Why belittle my injuries?  Because Mr. Hauge the person you are writing to might feel some sympathy for me?
    Why were you so afraid of the county prosecuting me, all they could do was send me to the reform school right where you wanted to send me? --- Were you afraid of what I might have to say at a hearing?  Why did you want to get me out of that county and into the reform school so fast --- were you afraid of something I might say?  Why worry so much about the newspapers, for on the day after this letter the local weekly newspaper said I was being sent to the reform school?  A day before my transfer to the reform school was approved.  Who told them that, if you hadn't?

TO THE READER:  I may sound somewhat bitter in this reply to Mr. Ladd's letter.  In my childhood I had been beaten, sexually assaulted, shot at, not to mention all of the psychological abuse and I don't know what else, but I view this letter as the most terrible thing that was done to me... it was based on lies and fear as to what I would say about the the juvenile home at a hearing.  I should NOT have been sent to the reform school, where I believed they were going to literally kill me.   I was not that type of a boy.
    I had problems which were not addressed, they only saw me as a problem.  I can not think of anything low enough that would allow me to describe how I feel about this man and a system that would allow this sort of thing to happen to a boy.  I think it is despicable that a system would keep a boy in an institution that long of a period of time and not make the slightest attempt to help him with HIS problems.

STATE JUVENILE HOME
TOLEDO, IOWA

IN THE MATTER OF                )        TO THE ELDORA TRAINING SCHOOL FOR BOYS
               THE TRANSFER OF                 )                                       ELDORA, IOWA
               LARRY EUGENE PETERSON  )
Des Moines, Iowa
July 30, 1948

WHEREAS:    Larry Eugene Peterson, 2093, born May 13, 1934, was on August 17, 1945, admitted to the State Juvenile Home, Toledo, Iowa, after being committed to that institution from Story County, Iowa.

WHEREAS:    This boy has been a problems ever since his admission to the  State Juvenile Home;  his records shows he has ran away on 13 separate occasions.  Larry was given the opportunity of working with the detasseling crew, when he escaped, stole a car and was apprehended by police and returned to Toledo.

WHEREAS:    In view of the automobile theft;  his long record of runaways, we are

THEREFORE:    Upon the recommendation of Mr. Herbert H. Hauge, Board of Control, Mr. L. H. Ladd, Supt. State Juvenile Home, Mrs. Elizabeth Palmer, Director Children's Division,

IT IS ORDER:    That this boy be transferred from the State Juvenile Home, Toledo, Iowa. (Sections 232.9 and 244.5, Code of Iowa).

IT IS FURTHER ORDERED:    That this transfer be made by and at the expense of the State Juvenile Home, Toledo, Iowa.

Sign and attested by the Seal of the
Board of Control of State Institutions
this 30th day of July, 1948
(signed)  W. L. Huebner
Secretary

Transfer was made on                 July 29, 1948
                                                    (signed)  L. H. Ladd

[NOTE  by Larry Eugene:  As the reader well knows, I was not committed to the Juvenile Home from Story County but had been transferred there from the orphanage.  I was sent to the reform school based on what one man said, a man who I believe was afraid as to what I would say if there had been a hearing.
    I don't see where one person spoke for me.  I would also like to point out, this form was made out and approved on the 30 of July, 1948 ---- I was transferred on July 29th the day before.  Someone was in a very big hurry to get me into the training school.  It only makes me wonder why.  I would also like to point out, THEY thought I was "a problem" to "THEM."]

11 December 1950

Mrs. Norma McCoy
               3333 Grand Avenue
               Des Moines, Iowa

Most sincerely,

BOARD OF CONTROL OF STATE INSTITUTIONS,
R. L. LOGAN, STATE PAROLE AGENT,

By   Coryl Huffman, Secretary

[Note by Larry Eugene: I would like to point out the date on this letter,December 11, 1950. It had been in mid-December I had been hitch-hiking back from California, passing through  Yuma, Arizona.   This person as you see, at one time worked at the Training School for Boys and on many occasions I had gone to her and asked her to find my brother and on each occasion she had told me my brother had been adopted and I would never be allowed to know where he was.  But yet, I still kept trying.   Also I would point out she says at this time she is my parole officer ---- I never knew I was on parole or there had been any type of supervision for me.  I have no memory of ever seeing her outside of the training school.  I am sorry to say.  This was the last item in my records.  Nothing ever came of this letter for I was not to find my brother for another three years and that was only because he found me.]

RAINBOW

Return to the State Juvenile Records Index

Return to the Main Index