Fanfiction Notes

Untitled - This is the first fanfiction I ever wrote, and I think it definitely shows. :) Hopefully, my fanfic has improved over time. It was written during late August and early September 1997 for a fanfic contest that Rina Stewart was running. I *think* I came in second or third. Either way, I was really happy. I've never thought of a good title for this story and for a time, I didn't even really have an ending.

WENN We Last Met... - My second fanfiction and I still think it's not too bad. Obviously, this was written before season four started. I remember spending an entire weekend composing this story down in the basement listening to Björk's Post over and over and over again. This one has never been published anywhere but on my website.

Romance and Welsh Rarebit - I am really proud of this story. There are so few about C.J. and this manages to be a romance too! It was published in "Look at the Time," the Remember WENN fanzine. It was mostly inspired by the girl who shows up in the opening credits of the first season. She seemed to be quite at home at WENN, so I figured she had to be a girlfriend of sorts. And of course, C.J. deserved to have a girlfriend.

Familiar Dreams - I wrote most of this one while I was at work. I was in the fiction stacks, reshelving books when the idea suddenly came to me and I knew I had to write it down or I'd forever lose it. Thank goodness no one saw me. Anyway, it's more of a Twilight Zone-ish story. I was just wanted to explore what would happen if Betty was placed into an entirely foreign situation that seemed oddly familiar.

The Green-Eyed Monster - It's yet another work inspired story. I wrote this one during the summer of 1998. I was working for the city of Plymouth mowing lawns - a job which allows for *a lot* of daydreaming time. This one popped into my head while I was mowing and I wrote it down that evening. I believe I was trying to across how three people could deal with their very similar problems in three totally different ways. Also, I think Jeff, although sometimes he seems clueless, would be a very good person to discuss relationship-type problems with.

The Anniversary - This is the start of my very unserious period of fanfiction writing. I'd been writing "The WENN Files" that summer too, which is another parody series. I think I'm pretty good at writing the wacky, off-the-wall fiction. It also doesn't take me nearly as long to write too. This one was inspired by one of my favorite Remember WENN episodes, "Close Quarters." I just wondered what would happen if Pruitt were to come back and of course, wackiness would ensue. One comment about my writing style though: I tend take the broad outlines of the character's personality and stretch it as far as I can go, which I, for some reason, think makes them incredibly humorous.

Lightning Strikes! - After Remember WENN was canceled, of course I had to write an ending of my own. I had some basic ideas and things just went from there. Actually, Hilary took over her part of the story and created a much longer and in-depth back story than I had ever imagined writing. I'd never really written a more serious Jeff and Hilary story before and I thought it turned out pretty good.

The Tea Party - I started this one during my winter break in 2000 after spending a semester abroad in England. I'd been reading a wonderful book - A Mouthful of Rivets - which is an oral history of the working women of World War II. If you are interested at all in the history of women during WWII, this would be a valuable resource. I thought this was a good idea for a story - the women don't have their men to go home to anymore, so they get together and talk.

Defining Voices: Conflicted Feminity in Remember WENN - I wrote this one for my College Writing course when we had to write a paper dealing with a televsion show. Of course I had to do it on Remember WENN and this is the paper that came out of it. It's more of an academic paper, but I feel as though I proved my case. And I managed to get an A too! :)

You Must Remember This - I started writing this one during before I went to England (late August 1999), wrote more during the spring of 2000, edited it during the fall of 2000, and *hopefully* I will finish it up during the spring of 2001. Yes, sometimes it does take a looooooong time for me to finish a story. Anyway, this one was started while I was watching a lot of Remington Steele, if you can't guess who the main character is influenced by. My main problem with writing the ending for this story is that I'm not sure that my conclusion works anymore...but hopefully I'll get motivated again - and find the time to write it!

The Girl Next Door - The latest fanfiction I've written and again, it's taken me a really long time to write it. I started it in late June or early July of 2000 and didn't even look at it again until January of 2001. It was conceived as the reason why Scott finds Betty so attractive (she's kind of like his late wife, only not as delicate) and why he was on the run (with that much suffering, can you blame him?). This story was heavily influenced by F. Scott Fitzgerald's writing, most specifically The Great Gatsby, although Kerry's name comes from This Side of Paradise. I was also watching Gone With the Wind while I was writing the death scenes, so that was also (surprisingly) an influence. This is also the first "tearjerker" story that I've ever written. Although I personally don't need Kleenex to read it (or when I wrote), other people have said it really touched them. I'm really surprised by that, but it's also a really good feeling to know that something I wrote can really affect other people.

FIN

[back]