Updated 6/29/2004

Filming Oceans Twelve in Paris

Calendar

6/29/2004
  • And it really is turning into Bourne Identity promotion revisited - Matt and Frank Marshall will present a charity screening of The Bourne Supremacy in Boston next Wednesday in aid of the International Physicians for the Prevention of Nuclear War. Details from the Boston Herald and Boston Globe.

Damon flick a blast
    "Bourne Supremacy" stud Matt Damon heads home to the Hub next week to host a special benefit screening of his upcoming flick for his mom's fave charity.

Nancy Carlsson-Paige's baby boy and "Supremacy" director Frank Marshall will be front and center on Wednesday in the Loews Boston Common at the sneak preview for the International Physicians for the Prevention of Nuclear War.

Tickets to Matt's ``Bourne Identity'' sequel screening are $40. But those who pony up $150 or more get two tickets and a choice of Jason Bourne tchotchkes. Call 617-868-5050 extension 208 to reserve your tix.

Damon duo
    Our favorite action hero Matt Damon hosts a benefit screening of his new movie, "The Bourne Supremacy," in Boston next week. (Tix are available at 617-868-5050, with proceeds going to International Physicians for the Prevention of Nuclear War.) Meanwhile, Damon's sculptor brother Kyle is prepping for a triathlon to benefit Educators for Social Responsibility. Asked which of the event's three legs he excels at -- swimming, running, or biking -- Kyle yesterday told us, "I'm hopelessly mediocre at each." Contributions can be sent to KD Ironman Fund, 23 Garden St., Cambridge MA 02138.

• TV Alert: Thanks to Vanessa for advising me that Matt will be on MTV's TRL program Friday - details from the MTV website.

Friday 7.02
    Mega-actor Will Smith descends on Times Square to talk 'I, Robot' & we chat exclusively with Matt Damon & Johnny Knoxville.

• British fans can ask Matt a question for Now magazine at their website.

• Thanks again to Sandi, here's a photo of Matt and Brad from People magazine.

• Here's some more Bourne Identity DVD promotional material, thanks to Nikki. The official Universal link to buy the new DVD is here.

The action-packed hit, THE BOURNE IDENTITY, is coming to DVD in the new Explosive Extended Edition! Academy Award Winner Matt Damon stars in this gripping hit filled with incredible fight sequences. Found with two bullets in his back, Jason Bourne discovers he has the skills of a very dangerous man and no memory of his violent past. Racing to unlock the secret of his own identity, he discovers the deadly truth: he's an elite government agent, a 30 million dollar weapon the government no longer trusts. Now this top operative is the government's number one target in this super-charged spectacular filled with "Non-stop action!" (Bill Zwecker, FOX-TV).

THE BOURNE IDENTITY: EXPLOSIVE EXTENDED EDITION DVD is packed with extras, including a free movie ticket to see The Bourne Supremacy, a never-before-seen opening and alternate ending, deleted scenes, exclusive interviews with the film's stars, and more.

6/28/2004
  • A story about Ocean's Twelve filming in Italy from USA Today.

• Filmjerk reports that Bourne Supremacy has received a PG-13 rating "for violence and intense action, and brief language", while Syriana has been delayed from July 2005 to an unknown date in the fourth quarter of 2005.

• Here's a summary of Matt's upcoming interview in Playboy magazine's August edition, from their website:

Matt Damon - He has an Oscar in his pocket and three blockbusters on deck (The Bourne Supremacy, Ocean's Twelve and The Brothers Grimm). Underneath it all he's a normal Beantown kid who smokes, drinks and dropped out of Harvard. The Matt's-eye view on Miramax's Harvey Weinstein, the Bennifer disaster and his habit of falling for actresses, from Winona to Minnie. Playboy Interview by Stephen Rebello.

• A story from the Boston Herald about Matt's unpaid parking fines.

6/26/2004
  • A story about Matt, George and Brad at play in Europe while filming Ocean's Twelve is in Gala magazine and online at the link (in German). A larger sized picture of Matt and Lucy in Rome during the week is at right.

• Matt once considered a role in the just opened film The Notebook - details here.

Actually, even after Spielberg opted out, talks with Robert Duvall and Matt Damon and director Jim Sheridan fizzled, opening the doors for two newcomers and director Nick Cassavetes.

• An update on Project Greenlight series one winner Pete Jones is at TV Guide.

How it changed his life:
    The doors that slammed in his face before Project Greenlight now swing wide open for him. "Before the show, I couldn't get the assistant to take my call," says Jones, laughing. "It's still tough, though. I walk in hoping to get a job and feed my family, and people want to know the ins and outs of the show. Of the hour I'm with them, 50 minutes are about Greenlight. I'm not going to bitch about it. Those 10 minutes... I never got that before." The men who made all this possible haven't forgotten him, either. Affleck and Damon have signed on to produce a film Jones is hoping to sell, and they recently invited him to Las Vegas for a friend's bachelor party.

• The DVD cover art for the Rounders SE DVD is here.

6/23/2004
    • The photo above is from sorrisi.com and shows Catherine Zeta-Jones, Matt, Brad, George, Casey, Julia, Elliot Gould and others from Ocean's Twelve on the set yesterday in Rome.

• From Variety via Yahoo:

UIP rolled out its big guns Monday at European exhibition trade show Cinema Expo, where delegates tried not to let the impact of the Euro 2004 soccer tournament dampen their enthusiasm for this year's box office prospects...

A high-octane extended clip of Matt Damon starrer "The Bourne Supremacy" opened UIP's two-hour show reel. Hopes are high for the follow-up to "The Bourne Identity," which scored $214 million worldwide.

• From a Boston Globe report on the Provincetown Film Festival - the film is due to be released on 23 July:

The viewers chose Deb Ellis and Denis Mueller's "Howard Zinn: You Can't Be Neutral on a Moving Train," about the often-controversial former BU professor Howard Zinn, for best documentary.

6/21/2004
    • More photos from Splash show Matt and Lucy with her daughter, Matt's father Kent and Don Cheadle with his family walking around Rome and near the Colosseum.

6/20/2004
    • Back to Boise! Another charity screening of The Bourne Supremacy with Matt and Frank Marshall will be held in Boise next month - details from Boise Weekly.

Boise Contemporary Theater presents an advanced screening of The Bourne Supremacy, sequel to the 2000 smash hit The Bourne Identity, starring Matt Damon and Julia Stiles. Both Damon and producer Frank Marshall are scheduled to make guest appearances at a reception to be held at The Piper Pub & Grill before the 5 p.m. screening for BCT members and past season ticket holders. A reception at Boise Art Museum follows the film.

A second screening of the movie takes place at 7:30 p.m. Saturday, July 17, 5 and 7:30 p.m., tickets to first screening $100 (includes admission to reception), second screening $40, The Egyptian Theater. Tickets available by calling BCT at 331-9224 or The Egyptian's box office at 387-1273.

• Photos of Matt with Lucy's daughter and his father (with partner) are from Abaca.

• Phil of the Terry Gilliam Fanzine Dreams has clips of an exclusive audio interview with Terry talking about Matt, Heath Ledger and Brothers Grimm here. Matt took tango lessons?

• Thanks to Anita for a link to a site with details about the Bourne Identity Extra Special Edition DVD. And the Rounders Special Edition DVD will be available on 7 September (thanks to Natasha).

6/19/2004
    • Below are pictures of Matt and Lucy leaving a formal dinner at the Town Hall in Rome for the cast of Ocean's Twelve. Photos are by Hello and the Sun, with the text from Hello:

After some glorious days enjoying the sun and water at Lake Como, the gang are back in Rome, where they have recently been joined by pregnant Julia Roberts, who plays George's wife in the movie.

And on Thursday night the three heist guys and their glamorous partners attended a special party thrown for them in the historic Italian city. Brad and Jennifer, who have just been named the world's most powerful celebrity couple on the Forbes 100 listing, were on affectionate form, and Matt was holding his girlfriend Luciana Barroso tightly by the hand. All three ladies chose elegant black dresses for the bash. Brad and George opted for open-necked shirts with tuxes while Matt went casual in white trousers, an open-necked shirt, and no tux.

• Here's the first mention of the likely to be numerous Bourne Supremacy charity premieres across the US - this one in Oklahoma.

Matt Damon, producer to attend film screening
      2004-06-18

Oklahoma Sports Science and Orthopaedics will hold a benefit screening of Universal Pictures' "The Bourne Supremacy" with its star, Matt Damon, in attendance. The private screening will be at Quail Springs AMC movie theater at 4:30 p.m. July 18.

Producer Frank Marshall will be with Damon in Oklahoma City for the screening.

Marshall's producing credits include the "Indiana Jones" trilogy, the "Back to the Future" trilogy, "The Color Purple," "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?," Academy Award-nominated "The Sixth Sense" and "Seabiscuit."

"The Bourne Supremacy" is the second installment of "The Bourne Identity" which Marshall produced. The films are based on books by author Robert Ludlum.

Proceeds from the event will benefit The Children's Center in Bethany, a private, nonprofit pediatric hospital providing 24-hour medical care, rehabilitative therapies and special education to medically fragile children. The Children's Center's mission is to help each child reach his fullest potential and, ultimately, return home.

"The Bourne Supremacy" is produced by Marshall, Patrick Crowley and Paul L. Sandberg, and directed by Paul Greengrass from a screenplay by Tony Gilroy ("The Bourne Identity"), based on Ludlum's book of the same name.

For more information, call Barbara Black at 419-8473.

• Many thanks to Sandi for the latest pictures from the weekly US magazines - these from Star and Us Weekly. Here's the text from the Star article:

George Clooney turned his Lake Como, Italy, villa into "Fortress Clooney" as pregnant Julia Roberts joined the Oceans Twelve players. Matt Damon, Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston freely enjoyed the lake, but a slew of security helped keep camera-shy Julia holed up indoors.

6/18/2004
    • Splash has photos of Matt, Lucy and her daughter walking around Rome. Their description:

Hollywood superstar actor Matt Damon, who is currently in Rome shooting Oceans 12, took advantage of a day off to enjoy a walk in the city centre with his girlfriend, 28 year old Luciana Barroso and her five year old daughter. The couple enjoyed a family day out in the sunshine as Damon put the little girl on his shoulders and held her in his arms as they strolled through the streets of Rome.

• Clint from Moviehole has an exclusive interview with Bourne Supremacy cast member Tomas Arana on the site - an excerpt:

Who are you playing in "Bourne" Tomas?
      I play Martin Marshall, the Director of the CIA.

Any action scenes for you?
      Not really, lots of dialogue...

How was it working with Damon?
      My scenes are with Joan Allen, Brian Cox, Tom Gallop and Gabriel Mann. None with Damon, although I met him - he is charming and very down-to-earth. Joan Allen and Brian Cox are great to work with. Brian told us funny stories about Troy and other projects.

• And Catherine Zeta-Jones talked about her O12 cast members to the Chicago Sun-Times:

She's also happy to talk about her male co-stars -- George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Matt Damon, etc.

"It's actually a shame none of them is actually handsome. It's a stretch for me to pretend I'm enjoying myself, but it must be done," she says, laughing. "Honestly, it's a great gang. I've been so lucky with my directors and my casts."

6/17/2004
    • More photos from Rome of Matt, Lucy, her daughter, Julia Roberts, George Clooney and Don Cheadle by wireimage, lulop and clasos.

6/16/2004
    • And it's photo day. Below are pictures of Matt, Lucy and her daughter in Rome, Matt and Lucy on the set, and Matt filming with Julia and Don Cheadle. Photos are from LFI, yahoo, this site and Splash. The following note was from the Boston Herald:

Meanwhile Cambridge homey Matt Damon arrived for the first day of shooting in Roma with his galpal, former Miami barmaid Luciana Barroso, and her young daughter. The actor looked well-suited for the set after a week of R & R at castmate George Clooney's party house on Lake Como, where "Ocean's Twelve"' co-star Brad Pitt and his sweetie, Jennifer Aniston, also cozied up for several days.

• Anthony Minghella's son Max has joined the cast of Syriana and will play George Clooney's son - details here.

6/15/2004
    • Matt, Julia Roberts, Don Cheadle and Bruce Willis were involved in filming at Fiumicino Airport in Rome Monday. Photos below are from lifepress.it, with others available at this Julia Roberts site (thanks to Emma).

6/14/2004
    • Release of The Brothers Grimm has been delayed until an unknown date in February 2005, sealing its fate as an unwanted, troubled project. The delay was first noted at Dark Horizons, and passed on by Natasha.

• Details of Spanish locations for Syriana are mentioned in an article at andalucia.com

Clooney and Damon head for Ban�s

George Clooney and Matt Damon, who recently filmed 'Ocean's Eleven' together, are to be reunited in the new Warner Brothers movie 'Syriana'. The two movie superstars are heading for Marbella to shoot scenes in Puerto Ban�s.

'Syriana' is a thriller, which combines the fight against terrorism with the petroleum business. It is adapted from the novel 'See No Evil' by former CIA agent Robert Baer and is based on his espionage experiences.

The film is being directed by Stephen Gaghan and will be shot in Spain, Morocco, Switzerland and the USA. The scenes in Marbella will see Puerto Ban�s changed into a nest of spies - and the presence of Clooney and Damon is bound to draw huge crowds to the luxury yacht port.

• Another LivePlanet potential project from the Boston Herald.

(We hear) That Bill Simmons, ESPN maggie columnist and former Digital City Boston Sportsguy who now writes for Jimmy Kimmel in La-La, has landed a development deal with Matt Damon and Ben Affleck's Live Planet. Simmons is sworn to secrecy and you know we hate that..

• A summary of an article in the latest In Touch magazine was provided by Natasha and another reader:

There was a two page George "article" in In Touch which was virtually all pictures. Theheadline was "Does anyone in Hollywood have more best friends than George Clooney?" It said thatin addition to his long standing gang of eight or nine motorcycle buddies, George has added MattDamon, Mark Wahlberg, and Adrien Brody to his band of brothers, and Matt is the new bestfriend of the moment. They had two pics of them from Oceans 11; one at the premiere and one fromthe movie in the black burglar suits. It said that since filming on O12 has begun the two havebeen inseparable: playing golf, basketball, lunches, swimming, baseball and partying their way around the globe. It said George has accepted the fact that he'll never be in a long term relationship again, and his friends will always come first.

6/13/2004
    • Maureen passed on an interview with Matt from handbag.com. It claims to be a new interview, but I don't know if it is legitimate. Here are some quotes anyway:

The Bourne Identity was hailed as a classy thriller. How does the sequel take things further?
      We learn more about Bourne who, since he had amnesia in the first film, didn't get a chance to reveal much about himself. But this film stands on its own and in that sense I don't look at it as a sequel really, since the story is different and the characters are much more evolved. So audiences will be able to approach this film independently, and I think we've added some new layers to Bourne's world, which make him more interesting aside from his spycraft and training as an agent.

I'm not trying to be liked, or to play roles which conform to any traditional leading man image. If people come to see my movies, it's because there might be something about my work they enjoy, and not because of any artificial image I might have as a so-called film star - which I'm not.

You don't like the idea of being a star?
      I think it's limiting, and I also think I'm not a conventionally handsome or charismatic actor who can basically play variations of himself each time out. I want another kind of career.

Your co-stars from some of your past films have said that it can be difficult getting to know you, that you don't open up that easily to other people at first?
      I have a tendency to be wary. It's not easy at first, especially if you're working all the time and meeting a lot of strange people whose motives can be questionable, and you're basically living out of a suitcase and going from one hotel room to another. So you struggle to figure out what you're doing and why you're doing it and weed out all the false motives and strange roads you occasionally find yourself heading down.

So if you are going to get to know someone, it's going to have go beyond just pleasantries and superficial conversation?
      Basically, yes. There's so much which is unreal in this business that it's hard not to get contaminated and find yourself absolutely lost. So at one point a few years ago I just told myself that I wasn't going to get caught up in the crap anymore and I'd just live as normal and honest a life as I could. It's the only way I know how to go.

• The Boston Globe refers to a new feature documentary on Howard Zinn, narrated by Matt, which will be part of the upcoming Provincetown Film Festival. More information about the film is available here and the trailer is here.

"Howard Zinn: You Can't Be Neutral on a Moving Train," a portrait of the activist, narrated by Matt Damon, that sets the tone early with Zinn's words: "We're taught that if one person kills another person, that is murder, but if a government kills 100,000 people, that is patriotism."

Says Zinn, whose personal modesty hasn't kept him away from the barricades -- or the headlines -- for decades: "It's a little embarrassing to sit in a movie theater and see yourself and your family up on the screen." He'll attend the film's screening in Provincetown. "I guess my hope is that people don't come away thinking it's about me, but thinking it's about being an activist in our time," he adds. "I hope it encourages people to think that to work together on these issues makes life more interesting."

6/12/2004
    • Larger pictures of Matt and Lucy with Brad and Jennifer at Lake Como are below.

• An update on Oceans Twelve filming was provided in Army Archerd's column for Variety. Filming will also take place in Las Vegas for two weeks.

I caught up with the "Ocean's 12" company having dinner in George Clooney's villa on Italy's Lake Como as they wound filming a scene Wednesday at dusk. The cast was toasting the arrival of mother-of-twins-to-be Julia Roberts when Jerry Weintraub came to the phone. All the principals are living at the Clooney villa for the Como location. They return to Rome Sunday for more shoots there and then on to Sicily, having already done Paris.

• Karl Urban talked about his role in Bourne Supremacy to Teen Hollywood.

6/10/2004
    • More pictures from Lake Como are by splash and eastnews. Caption competition anyone?

The description for the second series is:

Brad Pitt drives a motorised dinghy as he takes wife Jennifer Aniston and Matt Damon and his girlfriend on a lakeside tour on a break during the filming of Oceans 12 at Lake Como Italy.

6/09/2004
    • ABACA has photos of Matt and Lucy shopping in Como.

6/08/2004
    • Larger size photos from the Lake Como boat trip are from ABACA and show Matt and Lucy on the boat with George, Brad, Jennifer, Lisa Snowdon and Mariella Frostrup. A number of newspapers have stories about the group's time in Italy but few photos are online - text is at the Daily Herald, Mirror (both UK) and NY Post.

• Another chance to meet Matt at the Bourne Supremacy premiere in LA on 15 July is available - details charityfolks.com or here:

In an effort to raise funds for the re-launch of DoubleTake magazine, a non-profit journal founded by Pulitzer Prize-winning author and former Agee Professor of Social Ethics Robert Coles '50, one generous philanthropist will win a date with Matt Damon.

According to R. Jay Magill, executive editor of DoubleTake, Matt Damon has been a fan of Coles since the two collaborated on an independent study during Damon's days as an undergraduate at Harvard.

• Bourne Supremacy producer Frank Marshall talked about the film with Army Archerd for Variety last week:

Marshall and company are readying Universal's "Bourne Supremacy" for a July release. While opposing films including "Spiderman II" and "Catwoman," Marshall is confident "Bourne" will succeed. "We're the dose of reality with all those cartoon books out there."

• Rounders co-writer Brian Koppelman mentioned on a google newsgroup recently that a Collector's Edition DVD of the film will be released in late summer and include a number of commentaries. Thanks to Jeri Jo and Natasha.

6/07/2004
    • New pictures at Splash show the O12 guys on yet another boat - here's the text and photos:

George Clooney, Brad Pitt with wife Jennifer Aniston and Matt Damon with friends relax at George's house on Como's lake. The group spent their free time away from the O12 set playing tennis and relaxing after a two week filming schedule.

• A People online special included Matt in their list of Hollywood Bachelors.

Bachelors Forever? Meet star guys (like George Clooney and Matt Damon) who prefer living it up to settling down
      By Lucy Maher

MATT DAMON
      When asked in 2002 if he would tie the knot with then-girlfriend Odessa Whitmire, Damon, 33, said no to that, and to kids: "I have my nephews, and that's about all the responsibility I can handle." The pair split last year and Damon (who's also dated Winona Ryder and Minnie Driver) is now seeing interior designer Luciana Barroso.

• An article with Karl Urban includes some details about wild Moscow filming for Bourne Supremacy - here.

6/06/2004
    • Here's the scan of a brief article from In Touch magazine, where Matt's labelled the 9th hottest guy of summer. Thanks to Sandi.

• Italian newspapers are reporting an incident near George Clooney's home where somebody travelling on a motorboat with Matt threw a full can of Coke at the paparazzi and waiting reporters. From my translation it was not Matt who threw the can, which some papers are suggesting - below is a partial translation of an article from Corriere.

The motorboat does a maneuver and goes to a couple of meters from the photographers...

On the pier, to await them, a boy of about twelve years, impossible to know whose son he is. But here it happens. The friends of Damon do not seem to appreciate the flash, someone lifts their voice, it is understood only that they say it is a "private area". The photographers think it has ended, but instead after a few seconds one of the escorts of the star disembarks on the pier of Villa Oleandra, enters the park, moves the hedge and throws a full can of Coca Cola in the direction of the reporter, which "explodes" on the wall of the house less than a metre from the paparazzi. A determined and ugly gesture that is beyond dangerous. But the calm returns immediately, and the shuttle of journalists and onlookers do nothing. Yes, because an order of the mayor of Laglio, Giuseppe Mantero, forbids the approach also to the pedestrians between 18 and 20 metres due to the "high profile personalities in the country".

• Reuven Proven�a, who has kindly provided this site with stories and photos, has a new weblog about events in Goa, and it includes his articles about Matt and photos. The link is here.

6/04/2004
    • There's not much news around about Ocean's Twelve filming in Italy, but this report claims Matt has left Rome and is the first of the actors to join George Clooney at his villa in Lake Como, where they were seen swimming in his pool.

• The EuroTrip DVD is now available and includes extended scenes of Matt's cameo. In the Special Features section there are two full-length musical videos of the "Scotty Doesn't Know" song, one as a sing-a-long version.

6/02/2004

• Here's a new poster for The Bourne Supremacy from Coming Soon. It's also available in a larger size at Empire Movies.

• Information about Ocean's 12 filming in Rome and Lake Como is available in Italian here and here.

6/01/2004
    • Here's the text of an another article in the latest issue of Us Weekly. Thanks to Sandi.

Cinderella stories: Matt's bartender

Life before: She's usually identified as an interior decorator, but Us has learned that Luciana Barroso's real job for the past 18 months has been bartending three nights a week at Miami hot spot Crobar. Barroso, 28 - who has a 5-year-old daughter with ex-husband Arbelio Barroso - met Damon, 33, late last year while behind the bar. "Luciana is a wonderful mother and a great person," Arbelio tells Us. "Matt Damon is a lucky guy."

Life with Matt: "Right now she's in Amsterdam for two weeks while Matt films Ocean's Twelve," a source tells Us. While in Holland, Barroso has even spent time partying with Damon's costar George Clooney. Damon has been playing fairy godmother to Barroso's daughter too. (He has flown her out to join them.) The child is "seeing another life being with her mom and Matt," says a source.

• Magazine alert: Newsaskew reports that Matt will be interviewed in the August issue of Playboy magazine.

• Photos of Matt filming in Oak Park Chicago and a very complimentary article are at the Oak Park Journal.

• Stills of Matt in Berlin on the set of Bourne Supremacy and being interviewed by Kate Garraway are at the UK Access Hollywood site.

• From a report about the amFAR charity auction at Cannes:

Tim Robbins auctioned off a set visit and lunch with the cast of the upcoming film Oceans 12 (Brad Pitt, Matt Damon, George Clooney, and Julia Roberts) to amfAR Board member Mouna Ayoub for $25,000.

• General links

Other good sources of information about Matt

To contact Matt
      Send mail:
      C/o Patrick Whitesell
      Endeavor Talent Agency
      9701 Wilshire Blvd.
      10th Floor
      Beverly Hills CA 90212

Website information and disclaimer
      This is a no-frills web site dedicated to news about Matt Damon, the actor. The site is maintained by a fan of the actor and is strictly for the reading pleasure of others who admire Matt.

The content of this site should not be copied, quoted, reproduced or otherwise reworded for use at private or commercial sites. This site is intended for the use of Matt Damon fans and information is received and reported at the discretion of the webmaster. I do not guarantee the accuracy of any report, and reader opinions, stories, and interpretation of events are not those of the webmaster.

If information from this site is copied, please contact myself or provide the correct source and link for this website as a common courtesy. The web is a large community and we all have to share its space. None of us may still be here in ten years if we keep slighting and ignoring the rights of each other.

Photographs have been protected from copying as this permission has been previously abused. If you wish to obtain a copy of a particular photo, please contact the webmaster.

Header designed by caseyaffleck.net

Website address: http://mattdamon.cjb.net or http://www.fortunecity.com/lavendar/fullmonty/282/

Site online since 1998.

Site visitors in June 2004: 35,741