a bluffer's guide to brazil

So, Brazil then. What's it about?

Lowly government worker Sam Lowry (Jonathan Pryce) is happy being just that. A daydreaming Walter Mitty-type in a safe job with no ambition despite having a mother who can pull all the right strings to get him a better job.

Alas, his plumbing soon goes wrong and in order to fix it he hires Harry Tuttle (Robert De Niro).

Tuttle is a freelance plumber and suspected terrorist who lands Lowry in a lot of trouble.

Sam also falls for suspected terrorist Jill Layton (Kim Griest) and soon finds himself up to his neck in paperwork and emotional turmoil in pursuit of his dream girl.

Great. Can I have that in a nutshell?

Orwell's 1984 - Terry Gilliam style.

What's so good about it?

Delightfully off-kilter, this 1985 Gilliam classic sticks in the mind long after the closing credits have rolled.

Production design by John Beard is outstanding, the haunting catchy soundtrack by Michael Kamen is unforgettable and Gilliam's direction is superb.

It also boasts a huge cast of well-known faces from Ian Holm (Alien) and Nigel Planer (The Young Ones) to Ian Richardson (Dark City).

• Brazil: Page One

• Brazil: Page Three

• Immolater Home Page

roger crow 2000

Disclaimer: All of the above is just my opinion. This does not reflect that of my employer or anyone else. So don't sue me. Cheers.