Desktop Publishing
Ever have an idea that you'd like to see published? Think that producing a publication is too hard? How about an Electronic Greeting Card, Family Slide Show, that Novel you've been thinking about, Business brochure's, electronic Cookbook, Newsletters, et. Well read on then and discover the power of Desktop Publishing and several applications that can get you there.

First the applications, when computers were new to home users and MS Windows was new, and DOS was the main operating system. A company called Neosoftware came out with a nifty program called "Quikmenu III", it is a graphical interface for your computer. It worked great. How great, I still use it on my system. Well this company came out with several other programs to interface with Quikmenu, a paint program [Neopaint], a slideshow program [Neoshow- these guys pioneered PowerPoint in DOS years before MS even thought about it], and the awesome publishing program called Neobook. With Neobook you could compile and publish stand-alone applications and front ends to other programs. The biggest use that I have used it for is front ends for a Flight Simulator program called FST. Neopaint is a DOS based paint program. Allowing you to create and modify images and incoperate them into Neobook or Neoshow.

Why all this about Dos based applications when we have Windows. Simple, the folks at Neosoftware have continued on with Windows versions. Neobook for Windows follows the Dos version, but is expanded capabilitiesand combination are hard to beat. Want a slide show, Neobook for Windows can handle it, how about a screen saver. The biggest asset is the ability to create a setup appliaction to install your applications. Neobook for Windows uses .car files instead of animated gif files, so animations can be tricky. For this I recommend Neopaint for Windows. After having several graphics programs and each one having their own specialties and shortcomings this one is a must have. I have PSP 6.0, but use Neopaint more then 95% of the time. Like the animated gif file, use Neopaint and convert it into a .car file. Quick, simple and no fuss then drop it into Neobook. There are several Neobook web-sites and add-ons that will expand Neobook to new levels. Create a publication for Windows and link it to the Dos publication. Neobook has the best interaction with Dos application that I've seen, smooth and trouble free. The more I explore this program, the more I'm amazed by the wide range of applications that you can do with it. It also has the smoothest transition with systems running different resolutions and color palettes. Two words to discribe: ROCK SOLID.

Multi-Media Builder by Mediachance heres a prime example of user friendly software. After a week of using this program I created an 111 page electronic publication, with full multi-media. Compressed the stand-alone is under 4 megs. With this software you can even create full multi-media CD's. The sister program called Compact Draw is a must have if you get Multi-Media Builder. They interact togather and the effects that you can create in Compact Draw and then export to MMB will impress anyone. I got Compact Draw just for the buttons you can create for other applications. 3D effects are easy and straightfoward. The easiest way to see both applications interact, create the backgound and a simple button in Compact Draw, edit the button to "multimedia extension", this will allow normal, highlighted, and pushed frames. Export it to MMB and test it.

Illuminatus 4.5 by JASC Software. Is a very impressive piece of software. The library of samples and images is enormous. The software comes on two CD's. Being the most expensive I can see why. Illuminatus will allow you to create stand-alone applications, and even screen savers. Hefty program, one drawback is that published applications have an additional file along with the .exe file, the .ilm file. This can almost double the size of the publication. The library is quite extensive and worth it. This program is the most expensive and can be hard to get used to. However with alittle practice and patience, you'll be able to navigate around. You can even run the program off the CD and not take up hard drive space.
Downlaod examples Read the Readme.txt enclosed

Recommendations; I prefer Neobook Pro for Dos for my Dos publications, its straight foward and easy to use. The Windows version is terrific supplement and the things you can create with it, I even did a new windows desktop with application icon's. I still use Quikmenu III for my Dos window. Neobook for Windows has incorporated the Neoshow program into itself and the slideshows look terrific. To use animated GIF files, the best thing to use is Neopaint for Windows and convert the GIF file to a CAR. So if you like Neobook for Windows then get Neopaint for Windows and use both.

Multi-Media Builder heres a one/two punch thats hard to beat. The cost is a REAL Benefit and even with Compact Draw the cost will surprise you. After on one week, two publications done and high marks for each. Full multi-media support and the 3D buttons from Compact Draw have made it easy to get impressive results.

Illuminatus 4.5, the most expensive of the three. Extensive library and samples.I like the gradient backgrounds that you can do with Illuminatus 4.5. Will allow you to even create setup/install files for Zip drives. It will publish web pages with ease and even install the plug-in.

See the scorecard: CLICK HERE TO VIEW
Back to Main Page