70 MPH MIRACLE OF
HEST BANK

By DICK QUICK and JOHN GUEST

NINE coaches of a 70 m.p.h. express overturned after being derailed in a Lancashire village station today. Four coaches gouged into a platform. But none of the 115 passengers died."It was the miracle of Hest Bank," said a railman.

Amid the twisted wreckage - the forlorn station sign.

Amid the twisted wreckage - the forlorn station sign.

Most of the passengers on the Glasgow-London express were sleeping when the coaches leapt from the rails. It probably saved them from serious injury. Only 11 people, one a woman expecting a child, had to be taken to hospital, and just two were detained, Both were later said to be comfortable, Lancashire Fire Brigade preparing for a massive rescue operation, sent nine fire engines with lifting equipment and emergency lighting. A fleet of ambulances was sent, too, but only two were needed to take the injured to hospital.

A dramatic view of the scene along the line where the express was derailed - though nine coaches were derailed the giant diesel loco stayed on the lines.

A dramatic view of the scene along the line where the express was derailed - though nine coaches were derailed the giant diesel loco stayed on the lines.

COUPLING

Police after talking to the engine driver, quashed rumours that "wreckers" had caused the crash. An investigation into the cause started immediately. One of the first theories is that a broken coupling may be to blame for the near disaster. The express split into three sections. The rear five coaches overturned outside the station, then four more coaches overturned and demolished part of the level crossing and damaged the station platform. The other three coaches and diesel engine remained on the rails. Twelve passengers were trapped in the wreckage. Police and firemen quickly freed them. Most. of the wrecked carriages were sleeping cars. Wreckage was strewn over a long stretch of line. Some of the coaches ended up in a field. Many of the passengers were from Scotland.

HORRIBLE

One of the passengers was 64 yr. old Bill Williams from Bamber Bridge. "Everything was quiet and dark in the carriage" he said.
"It was exactly 2:15 when there was an awful wrenching sound from under the carriage and over half the train crashed over on to the platform. Everybody rushed around in a sort of panic. I don‘t think they realised what had happened. Suddenly , as if from nowhere, there were police and ambulance men helping out injured people-it was horrible. It was a thing I shall remember for the rest, of my life." A Salvation Army officer was one of the many helpers. He was giving first aid to a passenger who turned to him and said:"I have lost my gold watch and cuff-links." The Salvation Army officer replied:"Thank God you have not lost your life." One of the first on the scene was l9-year-old Susan Harrison whose garden is only a few yards away from the carriages which toppled off the line, "I heard this most awful crashing which seemed to go on and on." she said. I looked out of the window and saw the train almost in the field. All I could hear was people groaning as they tried to climb out of the train. "Several had been thrown clear and were lying in the ditch and the field.

Watched by the divisional maintenance engineer, Mr. N.R.Peach, in charge of the operation, engineers toil to clear the track of wreckage.Watched by the divisional maintenance engineer, Mr. N.R.Peach, in charge of the operation, engineers toil to clear the track of wreckage.

WINDOWS

"The most pitiful thing was the children-they seemed to be expressionless and bewildered. Policemen picked them up and looked after them. At least eight little children were crowded together until their parents were found." Mr and Mrs William Robinson were asleep when flying debris broke two of their cafe windows.
Said Mrs Robinson,  "The funny thing is that although we were on the spot we never heard a thing until a policeman knocked at the door and I heard someone say ‘Ambulances are coming.."when we got up. we knew something terrible bad happened so we put the kettles on. There was no panic at all and all the passengers were wonderful" As soon as they recovered from the shock. many of the passengers went, to look for their luggage. Many passengers were taken by coach to the WVS centre at Lancaster and later continued their journey to London by train from Lancaster. It .is expected that one of the lines may be reopened later today but the other is badly damaged, Parts of the track are twisted and broken and the crossing gates smashed, Trains were diverted at Carnforth and sent through Wennington and Hellifield. After speaking to the train driver, 62-year-old Adam Keating. of Carlisle. Mr Harry Sanders. Asst. Chief Constable of Lancashire. said he was satisfied there was nothing on the line that could have caused the derailment. He commented"We have been very fortunate indeed. It could have been a great deal worse and everything has turned out, all right." An inquiry will be held in Preston tomorrow.

Shaken passengers after scrambling out of the wreckage are led to the emergency first aid centre at Lancaster.

Shaken passengers after scrambling out of the wreckage are led to the emergency first aid centre at Lancaster.

"70 MPH MIRACLE OF HEST BANK" Lancashire Evening Post Thursday May 20th 1965

<< back

[ Home ]

http://www.carnforth-station.co.uk

webmaster(at)carnforth-station.co.uk