"Stop and Examine !"

"Brief Encounter" Railway Station to be Restored

FOR most of the 1980s, my home was In Carnforth, Lancashire, and at the top of Hawk Street, where I lived, was a car repair business run by Peter Yates. Peter had two great passions, a pair of vintage Rolls Royce's which he and his wife used to do very nicely with at weekends for weddings - and an unstoppable desire to see his local station renovated. Its claim to fame was that Brief Encounter -Trevor Howard, Celia Johnson, Rachmaninov's piano concerto - was filmed there in 1945. It later became (in)famous during BR's electrification of the West Coast route - when it became the derelict station with no platforms! Local lore had it that contractors dropped a clanger - but the result was that while the Furness platforms on the west of the station survived, the main line platforms were stripped away! It rendered the station all but useless in many ways. Anyone going north from Carnforth first has to travel ten miles south to Lancaster and change.. and so on. Barmy

During my time in Carnforth I remember sounding out BR and was told -Sorry no chance of putting the platforms back - we can't possibly increase running times by the 16 minutes or so needed to stop." Translation: we want to run on time - not carry people! Whilst I was there, the ticket office closed, the station was boarded up and real, sad, dereliction set in - but it still didn't stop hordes of tourists having their pictures taken beneath the famous clock. It also didn't stop Peter Yates becoming Chairman of a local Trust, which battled on, through thick and thin, and they raised £900,000 - and also persuaded Railtrack to cough up a further £500,000.

Well done all round, everyone - especially Peter and the Trust. But Carnforth remains a main line WCML with no station platforms.

The words 'Railtrack', 'Station Regeneration' and 'Gerald Corbett' spring to mind. So, Gerald, how about putting those platforms back? How difficult can it be to build a wall next to the track, fill in behind it, and top it with Tarmac?

Just think of the good PR - after all, the story has appeared already in some newspapers and this cutting came from HELLO! for goodness sake! In PR terms, it's a gift.

I'm sure the Carnforth Station and Railway Trust will work with you, Gerald. Go for it.

Put the platforms back! If you travel by train though, you'll have to get off at Lancaster -but you could put that right. Still, Peter could come and collect you in one of his 'Rollers.' Over to you!

· Parting movie trivia: If you look closely over the ill-fated couple's shoulders in BF -supposedly set in the south - during one of their encounters, you'll see one of those clock-and-fingerboard things - indicating 'Trains to Hellifield, Skipton and Leeds.'

This article is from "RAIL" magazine, issue 376 (January 26 - February 8 2000)
This article is copyright ,  "RAIL" magazine and may not be reproduced, without prior permission from "RAIL" magazine.

Beginning of this page
Previous story Next story

<< back

[ Media ] [ Home ]

http://www.carnforth-station.co.uk

11 th January 2002

webmaster(at)carnforth-station.co.uk