Lake Tahoe Press Report

NOTE: The reporter for the Reno Gazette-Journel took all her information from the Potter web page. I was quite impressed that she went to such lengths to put together an accurate article. I gave her our web page URL and she spent the time perusing the web page articles to put together her newspaper article regarding the Potter.

Geoff
P-15 Lollipop
N. Lake Tahoe, NV

Tahoe boaters use lake before 2-stroke ban

By Jennifer Crowe
RENO GAZETTE-JOURNAL

Instead of trying to fight the Tahoe Regional Planning Agency, some people are taking advantage of the time they have left before their two-stroke motors are banned from Lake Tahoe.

About 20 West Wight Potters, small sail boats usually powered by two-stroke marine engines with carburetors, were launched Saturday morning from the Tahoe Keyes Marina on the South Shore.

"This is not a protest," said event organizer Jeoff Schrader of Incline Village. "We simply want to take advantage of the time we have left to sail on the lake."

When TRPA approved the ban on June 25, Schrader sent the word out over the West Wight Potter Association's Web page, alerting readers their chance to sail at Lake Tahoe was coming to an end.

"I expected two or three people to respond, but I got calls from 35 people from Canada, the East Coast and Southern California," he said.

The ban goes into effect March 1, 2000. Potter owners can replace their motors with four- stroke engines, which are allowed on the lake - but the upgrade can cost thousands of dollars.

Some Potter sailors said the cost is worth preserving the lake environment. Bill Bower of Vancouver, Wash., plans to make several trips to Tahoe before the ban is enacted.

"I don't have a problem with the ban," he said. "I think we need to do what we can to preserve the lake and it's possible other parks will follow suit."

Although TRPA is one of the first to ban two-strike motors, Schrader agrees other agencies nationwide could follow suit. He already had his replaced and thinks other owners will do the same.

"Many Potter owners tend to be environmentally conscious and will probably replace their motors to keep using their boat," he said.

The first West Wight Potter was built in 1949 by Stanley T. Smith, with the help of his brother Colin, in a chapel basement in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Smith sailed that boat to England 44 days and back to New York City in 18 weeks. (Not quite accurate. See Potter history -- Ed.)

Smith settled at the Isle of Wight-- where his father and grandfather had been shipbuilders -- to manufacture the boats.

West Wight Potter associations are based throughout California as well as the East and Gulf coasts and Great Britain.

(Great article but the last part looks like she mixed up about three of Mr. Smiths boats!)

Larry and Happy Camper

Up to Articles <> Go to Photo Page

Home Anchor Email