Vanished History     |   home
An introduction   |   Coney Island History   |   Luna Park   |   Steeplechase Park   |   Dreamland Park   |   Coney Island Extras   |   Wentworth By The Sea   |   Saltair   |   Sutro Baths and Cliff House   |   Contact Me   |   Gifs   |   FIRM
Dreamland Park
DREAMLAND

Dreamland Tower by Night
 "Meet me tonight in Dreamland, under the silvery moon"

View in Dreamland.  
The Iron Tower in the background was brought to Coney
from the Philadelphia Exposition.
At that time, it was the tallest structure in the United States

The Surf Avenue entrance gate

The money pouring into Luna Park didn't go unnoticed by others looking to make their fortune at Coney. William H. Reynolds, a former NY State senator constructed Dreamland across the street from Thompson and Dundy's "Electric Eden." Dreamland was on a far larger scale than the other two parks and was capped off by the 375 foot Dreamland Tower. Reynolds also outshone Luna's electric lights by installing over one million at Dreamland, 100,000 for the tower itself. Dreamland had many of the same attractions as Luna, including the Shoot the Chutes and Fighting Flames (a realistic fire fighting scenario complete with fire engines and panic-stricken "victims.") Alas, Dreamland's architecture and more genteel theme (the cash girls dressed in graduate's caps and gowns) didn't go over as well and the park never achieved quite the success of Luna and Steeplechase. On May 27, 1911, fire broke out in the ironically named "Hell Gate" ride due to an electrical malfunction. Sparks from nearby light bulbs landed on an overturned bucket of tar which was being used by workmen preparing for the park's upcoming opening. Within minutes, the entire park was an inferno. Dreamland was a total loss after only 6 seasons, taking several other neighboring attractions with it in the worst fire ever to occur at Coney Island. The financial loss was too great for Reynolds and he chose not to rebuild Dreamland. Today much of the site is a city park and the remainder is home to the New York Aquarium. All that remains of Dreamland itself is the lovely waltz "Meet Me Tonight In Dreamland" which was written for the park opening.  If asked nicely, it is possible to persuade me to sing it.  ;)

The entrance to Dreamland Park and the burning ruins looking toward the Giant Racer Coaster

A beautiful summer day at Dreamland

Promenading in Dreamland

The Airship building

Dreamland's beautiful ballroom

Cafe at base of the Tower

Panorama of the ruins of Dreamland after the Fire.
It is said that at the height of the fire, the Dreamland Tower was
visible as a gigantic burning torch 10 miles out at sea.