The family was very grateful for the assistance of the invisible fairy and one day, the Cabinetmaker decided to make a treat for Understump. Knowing how the little fairy liked to hide, he made him a large trunk that was filled with secret compartments and hidden panels and trap doors. He left it out one night with the bread and honey and milk that they always left for Understump and, in the morning, the trunk and the food were gone.
     "Thank you, sir," Understump said from the shadows of the room. "That was the finest gift I have ever received and it deserves a fine gift in return. What can I get for you? Anything at all that you wish."
     "I'm not sure what to ask for," said the flustered Cabinetmaker. "I wasn't expecting you to give me something in return. I wasn't expecting to hear from you, even."
     "Do you think I am so rude that I would not thank you for this fine gift?" Understump asked.
     "Oh, no!" cried Atalaya. "It's just that we've never heard from you before. We thought we'd never hear from you."
     "Or see you," added Gregorio and, as he said it, he looked off into the distance, lost in thought. Then he smiled. "That's it! After all the help you've given us, I would like to see our little benefactor. Just once."

Return to Red's Castle