Site Map   Use the dropdown bar to navigate.

http://www.audiophile-uk.org.ukhttp://www.aidophile-uk.org.uk

44.1 kHz Logo 

1. The optical readout and digital signal processing techniques produce exceptionally accurate audio signals, so there is no wow or flutter, no rumble, no tape to stretch and no vinyl to scratch.
  2. The laser beam that tracks the discs cannot wear or scratch the information contained on the CD.
  3. The optical read out achieves a level of accuracy that no mechanical system could ever achieve.  
  4. Due to the laser beam being highly convergent and most CD player having error correction circuitry, most particles of dust and small scratches on the CD itself aren't read, so they don't affect the sound quality

Compact Disc and it's implementation in my system.

As one would expect Compact Disc is currently employed in my system as the primary source.   I am very lucky in having a pick of equipment for use in the playback of compact discs.

My compact disc player of choice is a Naim CD3.5 which upon purchasing, surpassed all my previous expectations from the CD format.   The Naim is used as my main listening source.

In addition to the Naim, I am also the proud owner of a ROTEL Transport & DAC (Digital-Analogue Converter) combination.   The ROTEL CDP (Transport/DAC) forms the basis of my digital recording system and as such, nearly all my digital equipment is operated through it, DVD being the only exception.  

Other compact disc components that are in everyday use are a  PIONEER PDR-04 CD Recorder and a Pioneer DV717 DVD Player.

My player of choice - The Naim CD3.5  

"More Balls than the England football squad" -   KeVlaR 2000

In the paragraphs above, I mentioned a Transport and DAC being used in my system.  Exactly what is that and what is it's role?

Just as with a separate pre-amp and power amp, a separate cd transport and digital to analogue converter (DAC) will reduce interference between the two units and stop any power fluctuations in one having any effect on the other. Furthermore, because there is more space available in the box, the designers are free to use better quality components and a better circuit layout. The very best digital to analogue converters produce extremely musical, accurate and real sound.

Another advantage is that a separate DAC usually has multiple inputs, so you can use it to enhance the quality of other digital formats such as MiniDisc, DVD, DAT and even some PC soundcards which have digital outputs.

If you already have a high-quality CD player with a digital output, then the addition of a separate DAC is an excellent upgrade. With such a setup, your system is also future-proof, because you can upgrade either the transport mechanism or the DAC to keep up with advances in technology.

Digital Output

CD players have built-in digital-to-analog converters (DACs) so they can deliver a standard audio signal to the input of your receiver (or amplifier). If your CD player has a digital output, and your receiver is equipped with a digital input, you can bypass your CD player's D/A converter and send the digital signal directly to your receiver or recording unit.

The two most common types of digital outputs are coaxial and optical. Although coaxial connections usually have standard RCA-type connectors, the cable itself is specially designed to handle the much wider frequency bandwidth of digital signals.

With optical (Toslink) connections, the signal is transmitted as pulses of light through a cable housing a slender bundle of glass or plastic fibers. Optical transmission offers extremely wide bandwidth, ultra-low signal loss, and immunity to RF (radio frequency) interference.

In principle you can make perfect copies of digital material by making an exact copy of the digital code. In practice, errors will creep in and true perfection will not be achieved, but these errors are not likely to affect the sound. A digital copy will be far superior to an analogue copy in quality of sound and lack of background noise.

MiniDisc (MD) is a special case. In order to squeeze more music onto a smaller disc, some of the digital information is thrown away. The designers of the system use very clever techniques to make sure that only unimportant information is lost, and the latest MD machines sound very good indeed. However, MiniDisc is not, strictly speaking, a perfect copy.

For accurate copying, you would need a professional format such as Digital Audio Tape (DAT) which offers performance very slightly better than cd. CD-R (that is, recordable cd) can also offer recordings of cd quality. If you want to copy one of the higher-resolution, higher-bandwidth formats such as HDCD® or DVD, then your recorder will need to have at least the same, and preferably higher, resolution and bandwidth. At present, only very high-end professional equipment can offer this facility.

Inside a modern CD player.  (Type Unkown)

Mega Changers

Some of the most popular CD players on the market at the moment are those that have a 5- or 6-disc playback tray. These are great for setting and forgetting the player, for having music on all day, or all night for a party. You can also store your discs and play them back in the same machine with 50-, 100-, or 200-CD disc libraries. These allow you to access your music without looking through the CD rack or fumbling through piles of covers. For complete audio automation, CD libraries can be daisy-chained together to hold your entire collection, even as it expands.  This not only increases your disc capacity, but in many cases also provides sophisticated playback options like cross-fading and no-delay shuffle play.  And for the ultimate, there's a high-end DVD and CD player/library that can tell you what's on any disc in your collection, and show you the cover via its online software connection. 

With a 60- to 400-disc "jukebox"-style changer, you can even store your CDs right in the player. Think of how much faster and easier it'll be to get straight to the music ... your entire CD collection will already be loaded and ready to go! (And think of all the space you'll save in your listening room once you've put all those plastic jewel boxes away in the closet.)  Mega changers make it easy to locate and program your personal listening selections. Some models with "Permanent Memory" even let you categorize your CDs by type of music (rock, jazz, classical, country) or artist (all Grateful Dead, Rolling Stones, etc.), or group each family member's personal favorites.  Never touch the disc again - just hit the remote

The Future of CD

Other types of CDs have also been introduced, requiring specialized players. CD-ROM (compact disc read-only memory) stores data primarily for readout through a computer, and other formats allow one to record and erase information on a disc. The DVD format is the successor to the CD and is already widely used to store feature films with multichannel sound tracks. Both DVD and CD have the same basic optical storage technology, but DVD offers dramatically increased storage capacity.

The next generation of CD-ROMs are called "DVD-ROM," and contains up to 4.7GB of storage on a single layer and on a single side. The capacity can be increased to more than 17GB by making the discs double sided and double-layered, which means the laser now reads through two substrate levels, and thus the CD contains double the information in the same vertical space. This is the new standard called DVD, agreed upon by CD manufacturers. DVDs will be able to store entire full-length movies on the space of a regularly-sized disc. Beyond that, double-layered, double-sided discs are waiting on the horizon, which will be able to store 26 times the amount of data of a conventional CD-ROM disc -- up to 17GB.

Super sounds of the future . . . here today with SACD!
Incredible as CD sound quality is, cutting-edge technology has made further improvement possible. Sony and Philips, co-developers of the original CD technology, have again teamed up to provide the next great leap forward in digital audio — Super Audio Compact Disc, or SACD.

The SACD format takes advantage of an entirely new recording technology called Direct Stream Digital (DSD). Standard CDs use 44.1kHz/16-bit PCM (44,100 samples-per-second Pulse Code Modulation, encoded at 16-bit resolution) to represent audio in digital form. DSD, on the other hand, is a 1-bit technology that samples music 2.82 million times per second, capturing 4 times more information. The resulting sound is warmer, smoother, and more "analog" than anything standard CDs can deliver.

DSD's exceptional dynamic range and ultra-high frequency response also enable the SACD format to faithfully reproduce high harmonics and room interactions present when the music was recorded. Bypassing several layers of filtration imposed by standard CD technology, SACD faithfully captures the music's purity and freshness, right down to the ambience of the studio or concert venue where it was performed.

Despite this advance over standard CD sound, SACD players don't turn their back on the predecessor technology — they're built to play either SACDs or CDs with glorious precision.

Mick Evans 1999-2001

[email protected]

[email protected]