Site Map   Use the dropdown bar to navigate.

http://www.audiophile-uk.org.ukhttp://www.aidophile-uk.org.uk

Antenna Installation

The G23 as installed at my home.   ® Mick Evans

Over the past ten years years I have garnered a great deal of experience in Antenna installation.   I currently hold the UK Radio Amateurs license and the callsign of G7NNT.   Although, relatively inactive in radio circles these days, I have built many antennas for VHF and UHF over the years.    From small dipoles for use on VHF to large five element yagi arrays for use on the HF bands.

Rather than go through all of the intricacies of how to build your antenna system, I am going to explain a little more about my current installation.

Firstly, the mast is a home constructed affair fashioned from two eighteen-foot steel  industrial scaffolding poles connected together with a scaffolding clip.   The mast is held in the upright position by three Tee and Kay brackets made from angle-iron, and secured to the side of the building with rawl-bolts.   This gives a strong and secure fixing for the mast.

The mast currently carries only the Galaxie 23 Antenna but can hold much more if required.   Because the Galaxie 23 is a large directional antenna, it requires the usage of a rotator and a top bearing. 

The Channel-Master rotator unit complete with digital readout controller and remote.   Seen below is the much under used top bearing for the mast.

The rotator is mounted around four to five feet down from the top of the main mast.   A short stub mast is mounted on the rotator and is supported by a top bearing to take the strain and any wind load.   This stops the rotator from flexing and shearing its cogs or the mountings.   The rotator bearings and the top bearing were liberally coated in grease once installed to combat the effects of harsh weather conditions.

The rotator is wired up using standard three core mains cable and it is run outside to rotator over some 35 feet from my room, up through the loft crawl space and out under a tile.   

NOTICE !

Antenna installation can be dangerous. Use caution or hire a professional if you intend to mount an outdoor antenna above ground level. Lightning can destroy equipment, start fires, or cause personal injury or death, you must use proper grounding for ANY outdoor antenna, check with your dealer for further information on proper lighting protection.

Mick Evans 1999-2001

[email protected]

[email protected]