Site Map   Use the dropdown bar to navigate.

http://www.audiophile-uk.org.ukhttp://www.aidophile-uk.org.uk

My Current Computer Systems

My computer system at home consists of two Pentium-Class machines on a peer-to-peer network.  

I have unofficially christened my main computer as WARP Seven-Fifty (Warp 750) and the secondary one is WARP Triple-Three (Warp 333).

On the main computer (Warp750), I carry out a whole host of applications, many of which are demanding of processor and graphics.

Both machines are currently operating on Windows Millennium

Some of the applications I carry out are as follows

• Web programming
  • Web Surfing 
  • Combined with the ISIS it serves as a fully fledged recording studio. 
  • Writing Audio / Data CD's
  • Digital Audio editing
  • Digital Image Enhancement
  • SETI Data Processing

One of the better features of Windows 98se and Millennium is the Multiple monitor support.   I currently have a pair 17" Monitors connected to this machine.  The main viewing screen usually accommodates MS Outlook 2000 and the secondary screen and usually runs MS Explorer or any sundry programs that I may be using.

My multiple monitor setup can be seen at the following URL: http://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon/gallery_browse.asp?ID=47

and an older setup of mine can be seen at this URL http://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon/gallery_browse.asp?ID=9

My Dual Monitor installation

My uninterruptible power supply.   Runs my computer for 20-25 minutes in the event of a power failure.  Ample time to shut down the machine safely without causing damage.

GAMING

Very occasionally I will play games on the computers but I am more interested in serious computing rather than games.   However, on those occasions when I do play games I usually play one of the following;

• Lucas Arts - Dark Forces

• Halflife

• F22 Lightning III

• Microprose - GrandPrix 2

• Microsoft - Flight Simulator98

• EA Sports - Need For Speed II

• EA Sports - Need For Speed - Road Challenge

• Janes - U S Navy Fighters 97

I have a 10baseT network connection between both computers.   One of the great thrills of having a network is the ability to have multiplayer games with friends.   I regularly race against my father on Need For Speed II over the network.   Also USNavyFighters97 is great to be able to fly head-to-head against each other with sorties over Vietnam.  Dad normally takes the US side and I play the Russians.

COMPUTER AUDIO

As you will probably be aware, hifi and computers are my two most passionate interests.   So, it was inevitable that the two interests should converge.

In my main PC I have a DVD-ROM drive for the playback of movies and a CD-RW drive for copy CD's and making up music compilations.   But the real jewel in the crown as it were is my Guillemot MaxiStudio ISIS Soundcard that I picked up in October 2000.

The ISIS is a fully fledged recording studio built into a computer.   It operates as a normal soundcard for games etc (what are those?) but at the push of a button it transforms into a 20bit  8track digital recording studio.   With the ISIS I can record from Vinyl or Radio onto Minidisc then feed the digital signal in for editing and then feed it back out to Minidisc without ever having to change the signal to the analogue domain.  NEAT!

I won't dwell on it's facilities too much here, instead have a look at these URL's for more info.

WARP 333 seen here. 

SCRATCH & SNIFF?

I usually scratch build my computer systems, indeed I have built all of my PC computers since around 1990.  I find that I get a great deal of satisfaction in building my own computers, also it helps when things go wrong as I have an intimate knowledge of them that you wouldn't get with a factory built machine.

When I built my first PC, I did it because I was saving a great deal of money. Computer prices have dropped dramatically since the early 90's but I still build my own whenever possible because I like to know what I'm getting for my money.

However, over the past two or so years, market forces and the precarious state of the economy in the far east have made the prices of computer equipment drop to levels never before dreamed of..   The upshot of this is that computers are now cheaper to buy pre-built than to scratch build, they are that cheap!   Obviously, you need to shop around to get the system that fits your own personal requirements.

When I have the time, I shall endeavor to include to some more snapshots of my computer system, I'm sure you would find it interesting?

For all you tech heads out there here are the specifications of my two computer systems as they stand at 30 October 2000.

WARP750 Specifications

Manufacturer & Model # Hewlett Packard   

Pavillion 8695

Main Processor Genuine Intel Pentium II 333MHz Processor w/ MMX extensions
Motherboard  Intel BX440 Motherboard  ATX

System Memory

128Mb SD Ram 

Display Adapter  

NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Pro 

ATI Mach64 Pro Turbo PCI (ATI M64GX)

2 x Hewlett Packard M70 17" monitors

SCSI Controller Adaptec 2904 PCI SCSI-2 Controller
Storage Capacity

Sony 3 1/2 " Floppy Disc Drive (A)

Maxtor  20.4 GB HDD (C)

Teac CD-W54E  CDRW  4x4x32 (D)

Samsung DVD-ROM SD-608 (E)

Sony SDT-5000 DAT (2gb) Storage Drive           on  network

Sound and Game Controller Guillemot MaxiStudio ISIS PCI Soundcard.    includes external 8/4 breakout box (20bit sampling DAC) 

with TOSLINK  S/PDIF Digital Outputs

Dial-up Adapter  

Connexant (Motorola) HCF PCI Modem

V90bis

Network Adapter HP EN1207d-TX PCI  10/100 Fast Ethernet Adapter

Netgear EN104tp 4-Port 10Mbps Hub

Sundry Accessories American Power Conversion  BACK-UPS 400  (Uninterruptible Power Supply)

Studio PCTV  (TV Tuner & Capture card)

Primax Colorado 19200 USB Flatbed Scanner

Logitech Quickcam USB Webcam

Warp 333

Main Processor Genuine Intel Pentium II 333MHz Processor w/ MMX extensions
Motherboard  Intel BX440 Motherboard  ATX

System Memory

128Mb SD Ram 

Display Adapter ATI Rage Pro Turbo AGP 2x

8mb Ram running   Formac Pronitron 17" Monitor  @ 1024 x 768

SCSI Controller Adaptec 2904 PCI SCSI-2 Controller
Storage Capacity

Sony 3 1/2 " Floppy Disc Drive (A)

Fujitsu 4.335 GB HDD (C)

Seagate 8.455 GB HDD (D)

Quantum Fireball 1.090 GB HDD (E)

Matsushita 40x CD-Rom Drive (F)

Sony SDT-5000 DAT (2gb) Storage Drive

Sound and Game Controller Guillemot MaxiSound Fortissimo PCI Soundcard.    includes Yamaha 744 Processor and TOSLINK  S/PDIF Digital Output.
Dial-up Adapter  

Diamond SupraExpress 56i V Pro   V90 56Kbps Modem

Network Adapter 3com Etherlink XL  10/100 PCI NIC  (3c905-TX)

Netgear EN104tp 4-Port 10Mbps Hub

Mick Evans 1999-2001

[email protected]

[email protected]