The X Files (Fight the Future)

The truth is way out there

A couple of  things impressed the hell out of me about Fox Mulder (David Duchoveny) his ability to drink and  his travel agent. Allow me to explain. Early  in the movie, Mulder, deep  in depression, visits  a bar and  drinks 86 dollars worth of what looks like tequila or whiskey. He then proceeds  to travel for a couple  of hours into  the  countryside, find a secret base, get attacked by mutant bees and outruns a couple of helicopters gunships.( I would normally recover from a similar drinking session by lying motionless on my couch for the day. But I digress). Later in the movie, he receives the coordinates of another secret base - 48 hours later, he is trundling across the Arctic in a tracked jeep.  Even James Bond can't get around the world that quickly. Considering that he isn't even  officially working on the case in question that has brought him there, how will he explain his travel expense claim ? Speaking of James Bond, there are times when Mulder's quest resembles the adventures of 007. There are big, action-packed set-pieces, lots of different locations and some close shaves for Agent Mulder. Indeed, by the end of the movie, I would not have been at all surprised if the ubiquitious Smoking Man had emerged from the shadows clutching a white cat, cackling a la Blofeld,"No, Mr. Mulder, I expect you to die!".

You may have noticed that Agent Scully (Gillian Anderson)  hasn't got much of a mention so far. Despite the best efforts of the film-makers (and the TV show), it's pretty obvious who is the main character in the X-Files. For most of the movie, just like the TV series before, Scully looks on in wide-eyed disbelief before assuming her normal role of victim-to-be-rescued. It's a pity, because it would have been nice to see Scully get something more to do than yet another autopsy (if she's been keeping souvenirs, she must be due a Nobel prize by now).

Despite the claims of the advertising campaign that "...the truth is finally revealed", there isn't the slightest danger that this movie contradicts anything we have seen in the  TV-series or threatens what is a very successful franchise. Indeed, the movie begins at a cracking pace, and the first 30 minutes is fast moving, visually-arresting and nerve-jangling. Unfortunately, things slow down a bit after that. Given the far-fetched nature of the storyline, slowing down the action gives the viewer a chance to concentrate of the more unconvincing parts of the movie, and sadly, there are many of those. For a start, the 'truth' is blindingly obvious from the start, and its eventual revelation comes as no surprise during the movie. More seriously, there is never any explanation why the bad guys just don't kill Mulder and be done with it. Even though one of the conspirators dismisses that very course of action ( in case Mulder's  death would make him a looney's martyr), there is no suggestion that anyone believes a word Mulder says or would miss his passing one little bit.

The majority of people who will see this movie are fans of the TV series, and the format of the movie is faithful to the TV series in every way. This is not necessarily a good thing.  Despite the offbeat subject matter of the series, the X-Files  has followed  some very traditional conventions of TV, and the movie is no different. Though Mulder and Scully are partners, Mulder is always the instigator, the one who keeps poking around long after Scully has given up to uncover the truth. And just like  every series about lawyer that only represent wrongly accused clients, every mystery that the two investigate is inevitably something spooky, unworldly or downright unlikely. It's a pity that the film didn't take some real risks and feature a conspiracy that wasn't so obvious to all. Better still, why not feature a mystery that could actually be explained after all ? For example, mysterious circles appear in fields only after the local farmers have been on a cider-drinking binge. Or the alien abductee turned out to be a lying weasel, on the lookout for a book deal.

Don't get me wrong - the X-files is an entertaining show. But it's at its best when it is dealing with stories based on science fact or merely offbeat, such as a BSE-like disease infecting poultry, or in one of the most entertaining shows, the case of a freakshow where an increasing number of  performers were meeting an untimely demise.But even that episode relied on a mutant baby running amok  as the eventual culprit.   But it was certainly was preferable to the worldwide alien cover-up which has come to dominate the series. In fact, the X-Files TV-series is beginning to resemble Twin Peaks in the sense that, aside from the high production values (and David Duchovney), you began to suspect that, after a promising start,  the producers have begun to take the piss out of the viewers and run out of fresh ideas. This overlong movie, despite the presence of familiar characters such as The Smoking Man, Special Agent Skinner (their long suffering boss) and the addition of a sadly underused Martin Landau, has very little extra to offer. 

Directed by Rob Bowman. Produced by Chris Carter.

****** Excellent   - An outstanding movie 
*****   V. Good   - Very enjoyable or engrossing 
****     Good        - Entertaining 
***       Mediocre  - Nothing special 
**         Poor         - A  waste of time 
*           Terrible     - Complete rubbish 

Back to the top

Back to Main Page
© 1998 Stockholm Film Review. All Rights Reserved.