Back to Blueshirts HQTailors Choices banner

Quotes

Bedrooms and Hallways quotes

The following are quotes from the excellent film Bedrooms and Hallways, starring James Purefoy. Highly recommended by the Tailors!

• Darren describing Jeremy: seething animal passions about to erupt through the pie crust of decorum

• Sybil: [To her women's group in the Inuit room] And now we focus on that wide arctic silence...
    [A cry of emotional torment rents the air from the men's group in the other room]

• Leo to Darren [who's just answered the phone]: Who is it?
    Darren (referring back to Leo's description of Brendon): I'm not sure, but his voice washed over me like a dark, powerful river.

• Darren: Rub some compost in your face, straight boys love it.

• [In the Inuit Room Terry reaches out to touch the stone circle, as in the last session they held the Stone of Truth.]
    Keith: Er, that's just a normal stone. Will you pass Terry the harpoon? It's got a very different energy to the stone, very male.
    Keith: [as Terry tries to express his feelings in the men's group] Terry, you're doing very well. Let the harpoon help.

• Leo: You don't do mind-reading, do you?
    Sybil: I used to, but believe me, it's better not to know.

• Darren as Mr. Eliot in Leo's dream: I do so like to work up a nice caffeine rush before I write my first sermon.

• John: [On the Wild Man Weekend] What do you mean you've brought no food? I'm hypoglaecemic, I could die!
    Keith: You can handle it John. You're a man.

• Keith: That was the best Wildman Weekend ever! Bloody noses, that was excellent!

• Leo: I just had the most amazingly vivid dream.
    Darren: It wasn't a dream. He's just made breakfast.

• Darren: All relationships end. You either split up or you die.

• Darren: Leo's very snippy about my men's group. Makes me keep my tribal drums under the stairs with the hoover.

• Sybil to Keith [having just left the bedroom]: I love being a woman. Not because of you but because of me.

• Angie to Leo: You are a strawberry blond. You can't go out with an ash blonde. It's not natural.

• Darren: I'm S-and-M-a-gram and I've obviously got the wrong house.

Best film quote EVER!

From Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. Jane Russell as Dorothy Shaw (friend of Lorelei Lee) on being told that the Olympic team will be on the cruise ship she's about to embark on:

Dorothy Shaw: The Olympic team. For me. Now wasn't that thoughtful of somebody?

Gus (Lorelei's fiancé): I hope you're not going to be a bad influence on this trip, Dorothy.

Dorothy Shaw: Now lets get this right Gus. The chaperone's job is to see that no one else is having any fun. But nobody chaperones the chaperone.

Gus: But...

Dorothy Shaw: That's why I'm so right for this job.

I am woman -hear me roar!

"When women are depressed they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country." - Elayne Boosler

"Any girl can be glamorous. All you have to do is stand still and look stupid." - Hedy Lamarr

"Behind every successful man is a surprised woman." - Maryon Pearson

"I never married because there was no need. I have three pets at home which answer the same purpose as a husband. I have a dog which growls every morning, a parrot which swears all afternoon and a cat that comes home late at night." - Marie Corelli

"Sometimes I wonder if men and women really suit each other. Perhaps they should live next door and just visit now and then." - Katharine Hepburn

"Nagging is the repetition of unpalatable truths." - Baroness Edith Summerskill

"If men can run the world, why can't they stop wearing neckties? How intelligent is it to start the day by tying a little noose around your neck?" - Linda Ellerbee

Zsa Zsa Dahling!"I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man I keep his house." - Zsa Zsa Gabor

"I base most of my fashion taste on what doesn't itch." - Gilda Radner

"Our struggle today is not to have a female Einstein get appointed as an assistant professor. It is for a woman knucklehead to get as quickly promoted as a male knucklehead." - Bella Abzug

"I'm not offended by all the dumb blond jokes because I know I'm not dumb... and I also know that I'm not blond." - Dolly Parton

"You see a lot of smart guys with dumb women, but you hardly ever see a smart woman with a dumb guy." - Erica Jong

"I want to have children, but my friends scare me. One of my friends told me she was in labor for 36 hours. I don't even want to do anything that feels GOOD for 36 hours." - Rita Rudner

"My husband and I are either going to buy a dog or have a child. We can't decide whether to ruin our carpet or ruin our lives." - Rita Rudner

"This guy says, 'I'm perfect for you, 'cause I'm a cross between a macho and a sensitive man' I said, 'Oh, a gay trucker?'" - Judy Tenuta

"I've been on so many blind dates, I should get a free dog." - Wendy Liebman

"Never lend your car to anyone to whom you have given birth." - Erma Bombeck

"If high heels were so wonderful, men would be wearing them." - Sue Grafton

"I'm not going to vacuum 'til Sears makes one you can ride on." - Roseanne

"I think - therefore I'm single." - Lizz Winstead

Doh!

Question: "If you could live forever, would you and why?"
Answer: "I would not live forever, because we should not live forever,because if we were supposed to live forever, then we would live forever, but we cannot live forever, which is why I would not live forever." - Miss Alabama in the 1994 Miss Universe contest

"Smoking kills. If you're killed, you've lost a very important part of your life." - Brooke Shields, during an interview to become spokesperson for a federal anti-smoking campaign

"I've never had major knee surgery on any other part of my body." - Winston Bennett, University of Kentucky basketball forward

"The Holocaust was an obscene period in our nation's history...this century's history...We all lived in this century. I didn't live in this century." - Dan Quayle, then Indiana senator and Republican vice-presidential candidate during a news conference in which he was asked his opinion of the Holocaust

"I've always thought that underpopulated countries in Africa are vastly underpolluted." - Lawrence Summers, chief economist of the World Bank, explaining why we should export toxic wastes to Third World countries