CAMPFIRE TALES

Transripts of a NG question session with Martin Kunert.

I will be in yellow.. Martin in White. This has been edited for continuity but all the words still are those of Martin.. Or mine. Conducted over the last week of November and first week of December 1998.

The definitive translation of the end of the film.

Here's the definitive answer - it's all Cliff's hallucination.

Cliff crashed the car. As he dies, his guilt in killing his friend makes him hallucinate, asking for their forgiveness. His hallucination incorporates the people, sights and sounds around him. The flashes he sees in the woods are from the light shined into his eye on the gurney. The "whooshing" sound in the woods is the medical machine try to shock is heart into action and the fire extinguishers. One of the hard things to glimpse is the name of the chapel they stay in is the name of hospital the ambulance is from.

Well, I was curious. I'm interested in how the film's stories are percieved. I made the film.

Directed/wrote... Don't be so modest..

You and 2 other people... What parts are you responsible for directing?..
Did you each direct a story??? Because I noticed a difference in technique between them..

Eric Manes and I wrote the original script. Matt Cooper them rewrote it with us when we went into production. Among them, I'm the only horror fan.

As for segments, I did the black and white segment at the begining and the story with the little girl. Originally, I was to direct the whole thing, but had to comprismies since Matt Cooper's family put up the money to have the film made.

I noticed in the new film the lead characters name is Matt Cooper.. (in Renegade force) Big impact???

That was pure coincidence. The character was written before I got involved with that film.

I love this insight into the way the film came together.. The story with
the little girl if I recall correctly was well ripped off in the closing scene of ISK, not so much ripped off but he was under the...

Huh? What's ISK. As for where the guy was - that's the legend.

ISK = a shortening of ISKWYDLS.. Or I still Know what you did last
summer.. Then again since Candyman, your film and IKWYDLS... Urban Legends have been all over the horror genre.. You are a bit of a pioneer in a the new wave..

We finished filming Campfire Tales before Scream finshed their shot. So we predate "IKW" by nearly a year. It's those stupid petty distribution negotiations that delayed our release.

Your section played well on Internet paranoia.. So I guess it shouldn't be surprising to see you at a NG.. Doing a little research for further films..

Who knows. I might be a 10 year old girl pretending to be who I say I am.
:)

ha ha .

I just noticed even though it is an American film it was only released in
the USA at Halloween (1998 video).. according to Imdb (rating over 7 on Imdb).. So Australia got something first I think I saw this on video at the start of the year..

Wierd form of Distribution.. Do you need more money to be able to
distribute a film in the USA.. Were the international releases to gain financial momentum for a big release in the States..

The film was in wide theatrical release all over the world. But that was last year (1997). This year (1998), a small theatrical release happened simultaniously to a video release. The delay was due to petty negitationg tacts on the distrabution deal.

(on directing) I thought horror was mainstream at the moment..

It's not.

Problem is, it's very easy to get type cast in Hollywood. And to get type cast as a horror filmmaker is not good. If you notice, most of the big horror filmmakers never were able to make films outside the horror genre. It's okay to start with a horror film (like Oliver Stone and others did) but you can't stay there. Hence, I have to make a couple other films before returning to horror. Then people in LA will see that as me deciding to return to horror rather then being stuck there.

(the industry) Say 80 horror films are released this year, either video, tv or theatrical.. I would say 15 - 20 of these films will make it to the cinema.. for a week or two.. That means 20-25% of all horror films are "mainstream" if mainstream is a theatrical release.. Take into account figures I once heard of all the films made only 5-10% maybe less get a theatrical release.. I say industrially Slasher/vampire/legend orientated films are doing quite well..

They did. They're dying now. But still, by Hollywood's definition, horror films are considered "genre", not mainstream. For example, Miramax releases mainstream films. They created Dimension to distribute genre films.

Was it shot on 35mm or what??

Panavision 35 on Kodak stock.

Is there a WS floating around somewhere??

Yes. On laserdisk.

Weird.. you know horror auteurs lurk, but for them actually to feed the
group... I'm touched... I'm going to go and buy "Campfire Tales".. I was going to anyway... Now I'm going to make it my mission for Xmas.

Thanks. Actually, Campfire Tales is doing great in the video stores.
Blockbuster reports that each copy rents about 2.5 times per week.

One of these days, I'll go back to making another horror film - something along the lines of "Alien" or "The Exorcist" since I love those films, but for now, my career leading me more main stream.

Do you have a page... Or elite best page I can link Campfire Tales to???

Nope.

Martin briefly on "Renegade Force"

I can't believe you're directing Michael Rooker at the moment or just
past.. He is one of the best actors around, did you see him in "Bastard out of Carolina" and JFK he gets emotional real well (for a big man), even in "Replacement Killers" he showed this side..

Not to mention T1000... I think I noticed an Australian in the cast as
well..

Rooker and Patrick are extrodinary actors. Patrick, IMHO, is highly underrated - the range and skill of this man is incredible.

Referring to "Renegade Force"

Well, I directed it, but the didn't write the script nor had final cut on
it - let's leave it at that.

I'd like to thank Martin for his commentary on the film and brief insight into the modern industry of horror, both production and distribution. By the way if you are unaware of the distributor that Martin writes about.. It is "New Line".. A company that owes more to horror than it lets on..

Copyright , 1998-1999.
Click Here!

Back to main page.