Arlington Road (1999)

HORROR: Arlington Road

REVIEWER: Shane Gavin

RATING: A+

REVIEW:

Amazing opening sequence from the latest in Hollywoods new wave of writers. Ehren Kruger is a writer that you will need to keep your eye on. Later this year Kruger has 2 other big films releasing that he wrote or co-wrote including "Reindeer Games" and the gossip spreading controversial over-writing of the project that fellow writer Kevin Williamson left called "Scream 3". The film deals with paranoia and the neighbour next door in a similar way to the films "Fright Night" and "The Burbs" but this is by no means a comedy. It may come off from a synopsis like a Bruckheimer "What if?" film but it is by no means as military based. The film deals blatantly with Terrorism.

This decade has seen a bunch of films that are associated with terrorists, including "Speed", "Blown Away" and the fisrt film that Dreamworks made (And possibly still the best that they have made) "Peacemaker". As far as Terrorist flicks go I would call "Peacemaker" the film of the decade. If I didn't see "Arlington Road". However to bad Peacemaker. Jeff Bridges play his usual roll of a run down bloke trying to piece his life back together with bits nad pieces of his haunted past. intil one day he comes across a boy who has had his hand burnt in a firework accident. There is the point where the character he plays, Michael Faraday begins to look too deeply into his neighbours path.

The Neighbours are played by Tim Robbins and Joan Cusack. Robbins is possibly in his greatest roll since Darabont' s"Shawshank...." and directer Mark Pellington (Going All the Way, Destination Anywhere)swings his charater around the camera through innocence and guilt with a style that does not often gel with a terrorist type of film. Yet Pellington has not really tackled a film of this calibre before, (although the suicide in "Going All the Way" was quite horrific) he manages to pull off perhaps one of the most challenging an compelling car chases of recent times.

The story and film have possibly sprung from the popularity of shows like "Profiler" and "Millennium" where the enemy is humanity and all it's flaws rather than a masked man with a carving knife (But I guess you could read some kind of humanity thing into such narratives). Essentially to miss Arlington Road is to miss one of the most horrifying accounts of terrorism that has been translated to the screen EVER.

It is because of the FEAR and dissalussionment that this film is meant to put into and audience that I justify calling it a horror film. This same justfication also plays over to the reason I give it an A+ despite a fairly mediocre FBI flashback sequence near a cabin. Fear thy Neighbor.

A+

HFA MAIN PAGE|POST YOUR OWN HORROR REVIEW|MAIN REVIEW|

Copyright , 1998-1999.
Click Here!

(C) 1998-99 Shane Gavin HFA.